android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa

Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default What do you think the next Sansa player will be like?

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what Sansa will be releasing next.

Will it be a 16 gb Fuze? or something completly new.

Or do you think they will ever release this?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/01/s...a-view-on-ice/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what Sansa will be releasing next.

Will it be a 16 gb Fuze? or something completly new.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/01/s...a-view-on-ice/
Given all the complaints over the Sansa Media Converter , they shouldn't rush into any new video player. A 16 GB Fuze is the natural next step, and people are showing up in the SanDisk forums the last day or so with Fuzes with a firmware starting with the number "2", so it appears that could be a reality(unless it's a well-coordinated hoax....seeing as how the Sansa moderators had the weekend off). I was hoping for a Fuze with a volume rocker, a 4-way pad(instead of clickwheel)and a clip.....lol

Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM
ABI Invaluable

I for one am glad that they didn't release a product with bad firmware or inferior hardware, just look at the o2 for example. They could do more damage than good to thier core base of customers. Seems like they're really listening to their customers with the release of the clip & the fuze and their fw upgrades. Hopefully when they're ready to release a pmp it will be a good product, obviously there must have been something wrong with it or they would have released it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
We can only hope that Sandisk will release the original View. The current View was mired with problems and seems to be on it's way out. If Sansa could enter the medium sized PMP market (D2, Zen/X-fi size) with a player that sounds as good as the Fuze and the Clip we could end up with good old fashioned product war between Sandisk and Apple. Sandisk has been known to use the forums for user feedback, making our Sansa forums a good place to tell them how their players actually work

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Given all the complaints over the Sansa Media Converter...
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm convinced this is a codec problem that has been there for awhile and it's just that we're now seeing longer videos converted and it is showing up more pronounced. I've seen the same sync problems complained about with other players and other conversion software. If the do release a better "View", I would hope it uses a different format or supports more formats.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
If the do release a better "View", I would hope it uses a different format or supports more formats.
The View had lots of video support. The View can play WMV, MPEG4, and H.264. If you read my sticky in the View, you can read the issues with WMV and H.264. MPEG4 works great tho.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Given all the complaints over the Sansa Media Converter , they shouldn't rush into any new video player. A 16 GB Fuze is the natural next step, and people are showing up in the SanDisk forums the last day or so with Fuzes with a firmware starting with the number "2", so it appears that could be a reality(unless it's a well-coordinated hoax....seeing as how the Sansa moderators had the weekend off). I was hoping for a Fuze with a volume rocker, a 4-way pad(instead of clickwheel)and a clip.....lol

sounds like you would like a larger clip....... lol

Old 12-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
sounds like you would like a larger clip....... lol
Well........don't get me wrong....I got the Fuze first and I have NO regrets about buying it. But getting the Clip after, there is a simplicity and efficiency in its purpose and how it's carried out. The Fuze's scrollwheel, depending on how long a list I am scrolling through, sometimes I scroll right on by what I was after. Is it a big deal? Not at all. The Clip, with the option of click-to-move or turbo-scroll, just seems a little more...precise, maybe? The volume rocker is brilliant for on-the-fly adjustments. The Fuze's screen is certainly much nicer than the Clip's, and you have more options as to how much capacity, a couple more functions(color, album art, some video),significantly better battery life, but on the go, I worry about it more....will it fall out of my shirt pocket?(ok, silicone skin kinda alleviated that worry) If my jeans are snug and it's in my pocket(the belt clip that came with the skin sucks) will the screen crack? (my phone's internal lcd is screwed up), or the headphone jack pop off? Will my microsdhc card pop out and disappear?(it does make it easier to swap memory though) It never has, and the music is backed up, but I do tend to use it more as my home "jukebox".....it won't hold all my music, but a big enough portion of it that I can just let it run on shuffle forever and never hear a bad song. And with our economy in the USA currently in the loo, as our friends across the pond might say , I got more free time to kill, so the music and podcasts are almost always rolling.
Hmmm....that was quite the stream-of-consciousness rant, wasn't it?
Anyways....my punk azz is outta here! lol

Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

^^^ hey use paragraphs

Anyway, probably a Fuze based on a newer AMS chip (or the one in the Clip V2) so that it can play more video formats directly without converting them first.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
^^^ hey use paragraphs

Anyway, probably a Fuze based on a newer AMS chip (or the one in the Clip V2) so that it can play more video formats directly without converting them first.
HAHAHA. I don't know why but that mentioning of paragraphs caught me off guard. Anyways...yeah, it'd be convenient not to have to convert most other video filetypes....especially before the holidays....

Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
^^^ hey use paragraphs

That was why I called it a "stream of consciousness rant".....because I didn't use paragraphs.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM

I'd like to see a Fuze-class player with an user replacable battery (like the E260 and C240) and a true line out port.

Also, I'd like a Clip with a microSD slot.

[My guess is the first is unlikely and the second quite possible]

[Edit] Oh another thing... Add folder based navigation as an option in addition to tag-based navigation on all players...

Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The fuze already has lineout.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Sandisk has been known to use the forums for user feedback, making our Sansa forums a good place to tell them how their players actually work
In that case, I, for one, am a bit miffed at the loss of video playing on my 8GB Fuze. When I bought my Fuze it would play the MPEG-4 video files I had on a MicroSDHC card inserted into my View. I converted those MPEG-4 files with a 3rd party converter and the View plays them very well. My Fuze would play them very well also, when I simply insert the card into the Fuze.

However, after a firmware update, my Fuze no longer plays those MPEG-4 files and requires all videos be converted with SMC and SMC won't convert MPEG-2 files (DVD). Not only that but, SMC doesn't allow size and quality settings for converted videos, meaning the files are extremely large and because of this you can't put very many on the Fuze.

The size of MPEG-4 files I use on my View, Sony NWZ PMPs, Zunes and others are around 200MB to 300MB. The average size of SMC converted video files are 600MB to 900MB.

My View still has an earlier version firmware on it and still plays all the videos I care to convert for it outside of SMC. I won't update my View to the latest FW because of Sandisk's alignment with the movie industry, severely restricting video playing on all of their PMPs. Sandisk hasn't gotten to my View yet and, because of the Fuze, they won't get to it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I'd like to see a Fuze-class player with an user replacable battery (like the E260 and C240) and a true line out port.

Also, I'd like a Clip with a microSD slot.

[My guess is the first is unlikely and the second quite possible]

[Edit] Oh another thing... Add folder based navigation as an option in addition to tag-based navigation on all players...
Although I don't need the removable battery, the other stuff you mentioned is top rate and well worth having.

On top of those I'd love to see a true wheel for the Clip. It would greatly enhance the little DAP as a main market DAP and add increased value to it. So much so that other DAP maker would then begin to copy it as the main small form factor.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
The fuze already has lineout.
True, but it requires 5 volt at the dock port to activate the Line Out.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like nobody guessed right (although most seem to be Fuze improvements rather than new players). The next one is SlotRadio.

Steve

Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Looks like nobody guessed right (although most seem to be Fuze improvements rather than new players). The next one is SlotRadio.

Steve
Well, I have no interest in one.....I'd rather see*steps on soapbox* a Clip with a microsdhc slot and the battery life of a Cowon i7....60 hours! Of course, it would have to be as big as a Fuze, probably, but if the OLED display of the Clip is easier on battery than the Fuze's LCD, could my dream happen? *steps down*

Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM

I want a purple 128GB Fuze with a clip on the back (Flip? Cluze?). And it either plays certain video formats natively, or comes with a better converter.

Oh, and for less and $100.

I can dream, can't I?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Now that's a dream!