android
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Default Please help with playing by folder

I just got a D2 today. I have set it up to play by folder's. I have put 4 folder's onto the D2 like this:

./MUSIC/ROCK/music files....
./MUSIC/CLASSICAL/music files....
./MUSIC/JAZZ/music files....
./MUSIC/TALK/music files....

When I go to the music player and click on Browser|Music List, it displays ALL the songs(tracks) in one big long list of ALL songs on my D2. Some have a 'M' next to the track name and some have a 'F' next to the track name. I dont like or understand this really ... I want to be able to view the tracks by folder's, not 150+ songs all listed in one list ... but I could live with this if I had to, but.... what I can't live with is not being able to play 1 folder at a time. Now I believe I can, but I just don't know how. Currently all 150+ songs play one after another in alphabetical order, and have no regards to what folder they are in ! I want to just play, let's say, all files in the JAZZ folder and stop.

BTW I have double checked that I have 'Folder Boundry' selected in settings, and I am running firmware v2.57

Please please help me !!

Cheers
John

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's a link to the service manual, check page 12 for the info to select the file/folder browsing mode, since it sounds like your in id3 tag mode.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/...nual_1.6EN.pdf

Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Yeah there are two ways to browes, in Tag mode, where you can catagorize (Album/Artist/Genre etc), this is called the Music Library. And the Folder Mode where you view the the directory structure of dirs and files on the D2.

When you are in Tag mode, and press the browes button/Music List, it takes you to a All Tracks lists, that displays all the tracks loaded on the D2. You'll have to tap the back (<--) button to get the Music Library. When you are in Folder Mode and press the Browser/Music List you will be taken to a Track list of just the current album you have selected. When you press the back button, you return to a previous directory.

It sounds like you may want to have the Folder mode.
To get there get to the Music Library from Browser/Music list, and then press back. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a folder named Folders. Choose either D2 or D2 Ext (the D2 Ext is your SD card if you have one) Then browes to Music. You must select and play a song to activate Folder View! I hope this makes it easier. I hate looking at every track my D2 in one big list also.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM

WOW ... THANK YOU to both of you guys. That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I love my D2 . I do have a couple other questions that maybe you could help me with also, since the user guide is pretty useless.

1) Can I make folder view as the default view or do I have to manually do this every time ?

2) Does the D2 support m3u playlists ?

3) Is there anyway to set the display timeout to a larger number ? I mean when you are going through the menu's if you dont do anything for like 5 seconds it goes back to the main display. That is a bit on the short side

Again thank you for time and information !!

Cheers
John

Last edited by Thibor; 12-06-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Can I make folder view as the default view or do I have to manually do this every time ?

If folder view was the last view you used, it will remain in it when you restart the player. The exception will be after a sync with your comp.

2) Does the D2 support m3u playlists ?

Yes, it does. But the player MUST be in MTP mode, not MSC. Also, playlists only seem to work off of the internal memory. And all the workarounds have yet to work for me.

3) Is there anyway to set the display timeout to a larger number ? I mean when you are going through the menu's if you dont do anything for like 5 seconds it goes back to the main display. That is a bit on the short side

Sorry to say, NO, there is no way to adjust this setting. And to be quite honest, we ALL hate that we can't adjust it.

Hope this gives you a few more answers to your questions, and any others, feel free to ask.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 12-06-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Again thank you for your time and your quick reply. I am growing more fond of my D2 now every day . One more quick question ... Could you tell me if 'you' think it is worth upgrading to the 3.x series of firmware or stay with the 2.57 ? I do like the looks of the flash menu's and I think that can only be done with 3.x firmware ? Or can I do that with 2.57 also ?

Cheers !
John

Last edited by Thibor; 12-06-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As for the 2.57 or 3.57 FW, I use the 2.57 myself. Flash skins (3.57 only) are something I don't need, and 3.57 doesn't support MTP, only MSC. I use playlists, so my personal pref is 2.57.