android
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Default cowon q5w vs new archos 5

i really like both of these units.

does anyone here own a q5w? any practical user experience would be great.

both of these units will cost me about the same i believe, the cowon is initially a tad more pricey, but i will be spending loads for the dvr snap-on, battery dock, fm remote, and tv snap-on.

the usb host and a/v input/output jacks are included with the cowon, but i can not find out about the fm and tv availablility.

the archos has a vast advantage in the storage dept.

the cowon is actually metal, differeent advantage lol.

i feel like i'm in a tennis match going from one to the other...please help!

does anyone know if the q5w will be updated since the midline cowon products did?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 PM

i could sure use some clarification on this unit and windows CE 5 professional.

its my understanding this type of os (if you can really call it that, i don't know for sure) is embedded. to me this indicates no changes. but i think this was a limitation for much older pda's.

would i be able to say, remove the msn messenger and replace it with one for yahoo? can programs actually be installed/removed?

if that is the case i'll have to find an antivirus and spybot for it won't i?

just how do you go about making this unit secure for the dangerous www?

i assume since this unit is running this it'll be considerably slower in responsiveness and boot times to the new archos 5's os? -- it's not really an os is it, its a flash driven unit correct?

the unit has the office viewers, but they can't do any revisions can they? certainly i don't have to load the extremely bloated full version of office just to edit a word or excel file do i?

i can't seem to find any accessories other than a car charger, no external battery pack or charger available?

i am having a very difficult time deciding between this unit and the new archos 5 series, please help!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM

now, if this unit can handle the teeny little ftp server/client software i've seen for other windows ce devices this would definately be an advantage over the archos.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM

no .pdf support??

Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's the weekend, give people time to get to your thread before you multi-post!!! Yeesh!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:37 AM

Next time try the "Edit" button, located bottom right

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM

sorry, made the posts from different computers and didn't refresh. it won't happen again.

i've been doing alot of cross reading and would like some verification from real world ppl.

no playback of anything during charging? no ability to charge from usb??

the first question isn't mission critical unless it really takes more than 4 hrs to charge, but the other...wow, i understand it may take a long time to charge a battery so large via usb, but still would seem extremely handy in an emergency---and then there are these awesome little devices:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mint...d-USB-charger/

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html

i don't have a clue, but both of these will charge a dead ipod in short order....what about this device (provided the charge via works)?

Last edited by grantpet; 09-01-2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: just more questions

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpet View Post
no ability to charge from usb??
This seems to be the case for both the Q5 and Archos 5, so I would suggest you remove that from your equation as you'll be stuck with it either way.

It is a shame both devices seem to have what I would rate as mediocre battery life.

I'm currently going through the same decision process and have all but made up my mind to purchase the Q5 over the Archos. A few reasons:
- format compatibility, particularly for images and other documents, not videos.
- Windows platform, meaning increased format compatibility and ability for me to install 3rd party applications on it, and build my own applications for it.
- Built in video out, using their supplied cable.
- Not needing to buy lots of extras like the Archos.

Roger.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM

I don't know about the q5w, but the Archos 5 can charge from the usb cable. In fact, it is the only way you can chare out of the box. Battery life is not that great, and it takes a whopping eight hours to fully charge the battery over USB. Because all their connections are proprietary, Archos would like to charge you $20 for the privilege and covenience of wall charging.

I know this is an old thread, just though id throw that out there