android
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Help Durability/ reliability help please

hey guys, i was on this site last week researching mp3 players after my unfortunate samsung got crushed (lol) so i decided i'll probably get a D2.. but the one thing is, i can probly only get it online.. future shop had no clue what a cowon was, and so did everywhere else..

and because i can't actually see it before i buy it, i need some answers =) heh.

ok, first, is it metal? or plastic? how durable is it?

Second, does anyone know how reliable they are? how many out of the ones bought need to be brought back? do they freeze often?

Third, what are the most common problems people have with them?

Please and thank you =D I'll check back soon

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Wes, I'll try 2 give you a hand w/this.

1. The D2 is made of a high quality plastic, the player is very solid in the hand.
2. It's a very reliable player, and I've really had no discernible probs w/it. The most that I've done is reload the FW, that's it. dfkt has had his longer than I, still going strong.
3. The most common prob is the tag error, when people botch the firmware upgrade. Reloading the FW will solve the issue. Not really a long list of probs from what I've seen.

My D2 is the "workhorse" of the bunch, always there, always sounding great, always reliable. I've had very few issues, so I hope you give it a try, I think you'll feel the same.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM

kk thanks man..

Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM

I have a 16GB D2 ordered and reading Head-Fi.org there seems to be a lot of talk about the D2 being "picky" about ear phones and a thing called "bass roll-off". Are there real issues or just picky owners?

Last edited by The DarkSide; 11-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailzer View Post
I have a 16GB D2 ordered and reading Head-Fi.org there seems to be a lot of talk about the D2 being "picky" about ear phones and a thing called "bass roll-off". Are there real issues or just picky owners?
The D2 isn't picky about headphones. Any dap will sound better or worse w/a specific set, you just need to find what sounds best for you is all. Check the HeadPhone forum for ideas.

As for the bass roll off issue, it's solved but either using higher impedance headphones, or an impedance adapter to increase the resistance. Besides, once you engage the Mach3Bass, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM

FWIW, my D2 has taken quite the hits. I planned on treating it like a baby, but I have accidentally sent it flying so hard the SDHC card has popped out and flown several feet. The D2 is quite durable-- mine has no scratches or wear marks after owning it for a year now.

One time I left it on my bed, and I flipped the comforter off, sending it flying... and it dented the wall. Still no scratches though.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Redneck Moderator

Its the most durable player I've used. I use it doing concrete, without a case, I just have a screen protector over it. My bro used his for over a year before it finally broke(he left it out in the rain for a few days, very few players live through water). For durability I'd suggest it above almost any other player. I haven't had any problems out of the box with either of the two I've ordered, and I've got 4 more coming so we'll see if any of those have problems.