android
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Rockbox install on e260/e280 planning

Iíve got a Sansa e260 (not R) with v01.02.24a firmware. Iíve ordered an e280 from Woot, arriving shortly, and it looks like it will hopefully be a v1 player (based on those receiving theirs already). Iíd like to try out Rockbox, and Iíve got some questions:

1) Any issues with firmware versions as long as itís a v1 player? Any reason to upgrade (or not) the "old firmware" on the e280 to current before installing Rockbox?

2) I plan on using the automated installer (assuming itís not a Rhapsody player). Are there any known issues with the automated installer on the e260 or e280 other than itíll get an error trying to pull down the fonts package which will require a manual install of those?

3) I thought I read on the Rockbox forum that the software doesnít show hidden files/folders, and that the old firmware marks the ďMusicĒ folder as hidden when it runs and downloads (MSC mode). So I have to create my own folder to contain music, and make sure itís not hidden? Which means that if I have music already on the player it will have to be moved or the folder renamed?

4) Bookmarks Ė I assume that Rockbox remembers what I was playing and where I was when I shut down, so it can resume right back to there? I listen to podcasts and the normal firmware ticks me off from time to time as it forgets where it was if I power cycle without playing a few seconds of sound. Does Rockbox make explicit bookmarks for my podcasts (I thought I read that someplace) as I switch around?

5) USB charging and transfer happens under the old firmware. From what Iíve read it appears that if I connect to my PC the bootloader will notice and run the old firmware, which handles charging and transfer. If I hook my e2x0 to a USB power block (so no computer involved) will it still detect USB and start the old firmware to handle charging?

6) Old firmware rebuilding its database Ė does this happen on boot or on disconnect? I know thereís supposed to be some tools to avoid the DB rebuild, but I was wondering whether it can be avoided by connecting to the PC and shutting down just before disconnecting?

7) I assume that if I format the player on my PC (versus running chkdsk) that the boot to Rockbox will fail until itís re-installed? Iíd also assume I can make a backup of the .rockbox folders and copy them back in place and have it work? Are there any disadvantages to doing a chkdsk /f compared to doing a re-format?

Thanks a lot for any feedback you can provide me on how Rockbox will operate on my players!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 AM

[quote=Gary_Berg;291077]Iíve got a Sansa e260 (not R) with v01.02.24a firmware. Iíve ordered an e280 from Woot, arriving shortly, and it looks like it will hopefully be a v1 player (based on those receiving theirs already). Iíd like to try out Rockbox, and Iíve got some questions:

1) If you're going to use rockbox then the base firmware # wont matter.

2) I've not encountered any problems. Watch the installation of themes though.... many of them are old and won't work without editing.

3) Your computer has to be set to show hidden files/folders, and there is a setting in Rockbox which can be set to show all files. So, no need to put you music anywhere else then in the music folder.

4) Bookmarks are on Rockbox. I listen to 5 hour podcasts and it's a great feature!

5) I only charge mine (both USB and wall) when mine is OFF. That way I'm sure it will boot to OF and charge correctly. If you are already in OF then there should be no problem just plugging it in.

6) Old firmware rebuilding its database Ė this happens on boot

7) IDK

Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Do the bookmarks, at least on podcasts, happen automatically or do you have to manually create them? I guess in an ideal world a podcast or audio book would bookmark whenever you switched from it but a song would not (well, even that might not work too well if you listen to Iron Butterfly).

Rockbox has no issues with any versions of player firmware?

I've always had my computer set to show hidden files; if Rockbox can be set that way too I should be all set to play once I install.

Old firmware database rebuild can be avoided by shutting the player down after a safely remove (before disconnect) and then powering up in Rockbox? Of course, the next time you want to load music you'll have to pay the time on boot, I suppose...

Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 PM

If you're listening to something and shut off the unit you can resume playback of what you were last listening to from the point where you were at, so it does create a resume point marker of some sort automatically, but there is also the option to create bookmarks manually in case you'll be listening to something else before getting back to that podcast or audiobook.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks Joe, that's how I visualized it would work - always remember where I turned off at (this is at powerdown too, right, not just stop?) and allow creating explicit bookmarks as you want to. Which is something the original firmware on the e2x0 lacked...

Have you found the automatic memory for resume to be reliable, even if you shut the unit on/off several times doing nothing in between? The original firmware would always forget at that point. The original firmware also behaving strangely if you paused and it powered down, saving the previous resume point, not where you paused...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Well I've never had the Resume Playback option fail me, as long as you don't play anything else you should be good to go no matter how many times you turn the power on or off (not just stop). I generally don't pause before shutting down, but I don't think that should be a problem pausing before turning it off. Ultimately YMMV, but it certainly can't be any worse than the stock firmware.

Trust me, you're gonna love Rockbox, it makes the e200 line about 1000x more usable, IMHO.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM

Default bookmarks

Your choice on bookmarking. It is configurable in Rockbock. Bookmark manually or you can set option to bookmark on power down (you still have manual bookmark option)

Yes, Rockbox can be set to view hidden folders, but even if you do not, you can still see the music by using database function. You do not need to see the folders to see your music. You just need to have your music properly tagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_Berg View Post
Do the bookmarks, at least on podcasts, happen automatically or do you have to manually create them? I guess in an ideal world a podcast or audio book would bookmark whenever you switched from it but a song would not (well, even that might not work too well if you listen to Iron Butterfly).

Rockbox has no issues with any versions of player firmware?

I've always had my computer set to show hidden files; if Rockbox can be set that way too I should be all set to play once I install.

Old firmware database rebuild can be avoided by shutting the player down after a safely remove (before disconnect) and then powering up in Rockbox? Of course, the next time you want to load music you'll have to pay the time on boot, I suppose...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Iíve got a Sansa e260 (not R) with v01.02.24a firmware. Iíve ordered an e280 from Woot, arriving shortly, and it looks like it will hopefully be a v1 player (based on those receiving theirs already). Iíd like to try out Rockbox, and Iíve got some questions:

1) Any issues with firmware versions as long as itís a v1 player? Any reason to upgrade (or not) the "old firmware" on the e280 to current before installing Rockbox?
I got the same deal on woot- mine is a v1. I installed rockbox manually- it took all of 3 minutes, then added fonts and themes. You'll find the stock fonts in rockbox too small on the tiny display on the e280. There are a couple themes that use larger fonts... I like "pirates"

Quote:
3) I thought I read on the Rockbox forum that the software doesnít show hidden files/folders, and that the old firmware marks the ďMusicĒ folder as hidden when it runs and downloads (MSC mode). So I have to create my own folder to contain music, and make sure itís not hidden? Which means that if I have music already on the player it will have to be moved or the folder renamed?
You don't have to create a music folder. Just drop the stuff in the root directory and it will work fine. The player comes with 20 songs loaded in the hidden Music folder. You can get rid of them by deleting in rockbox, or I think you can just format the e280 in MSC mode and they'll be gone. The player will recreate the hidden Music folder but it will be empty.

Quote:
4) Bookmarks Ė I assume that Rockbox remembers what I was playing and where I was when I shut down, so it can resume right back to there? I listen to podcasts and the normal firmware ticks me off from time to time as it forgets where it was if I power cycle without playing a few seconds of sound. Does Rockbox make explicit bookmarks for my podcasts (I thought I read that someplace) as I switch around?
I have no idea. I know it resumes from where it stopped when playing an mp3 file.

Quote:
5) USB charging and transfer happens under the old firmware. From what Iíve read it appears that if I connect to my PC the bootloader will notice and run the old firmware, which handles charging and transfer. If I hook my e2x0 to a USB power block (so no computer involved) will it still detect USB and start the old firmware to handle charging?
The thing will reboot to the original firmware when you plug it into the computer for charging and music transfer, then reboot to rockbox when you disconnect. I don't know what it will do if plugged into just a charger. I suspect it will reboot to original firmware.

I have no clue at all on the other questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
If I hook my e2x0 to a USB power block (so no computer involved) will it still detect USB and start the old firmware to handle charging?
Nope. Rockbox will just keep playing merrily along using power from the power block instead of the battery. Unfortunately it won't recharge the battery. To recharge the battery you have to unplug the power block, boot into the OF and then plug the power block back in. Rumour has it that charging is "close". One reason to stay with an older version of the OF is that some later versions don't allow listening to music while charging.