android
Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Zenses Guide For Getting Started & Last.fm Info

Zenses is an open source application that allows scrobbling for MTP devices to your Last.fm profile. Last.fm is an internet radio and music community website. Using a unique music recommendation system known as "Audioscrobbler", Last.fm builds a detailed profile of each user's musical taste by recording details of all the songs the user listens to, either on the streamed radio stations or on the user's computer or portable music device. This information is transferred to Last.fm's database ("Scrobbled") via a plugin installed into the user's music player. The profile data is displayed on a personal web page. The site offers numerous social networking features and can recommend and play artists similar to the user's favorites.

For more info about Last.fm check out the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm & be sure to visit Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/

Zenses was developed for use with the Creative Zen Vision: M (ZVM) so keep this in mind when using any other MTP player. One of the obvious developments geared toward the ZVM is the time and and date windows, which takes into account that the ZVM doesn't log timestamp, only play counts. So the Zenses developer allowed a way to add a timestamp to the tracks to be submitted since Last.fm requires them.

All of the available versions are beta releases and the original developer has abandoned the project. What this means is that Zenses doesn't currently utilize the developers intended features only the Last.fm implementation.

A note to ZVM and Creative users:
- The ZVM currently has an annoying play count bug which essentially adds extra play counts. What this means is when Zenses scans your media, the resulting list of tracks will have extra songs you haven't even listened to. Try listening to just 1 or 2 tracks and sync with Zenses. You'll probably see 2 or 3 tracks listed.

- To my knowledge all the Creative players that log play counts will log any track played (even for a second) as a play count. So even if you skip a track it will get logged and submitted to Last.fm.

Cowon iAudio D2 users: Switch from MSC to MTP mode and clear the memory before using Zenses.

Requirements

- Windows XP / Vista (You just have to set "Run this program in compatibility for" "Windows XP" for all .exe files in the folder.)

- Microsoft .NET 2.0 or 3.0 Framework

- Windows Media Player 11

If for some reason you can't install either .NET Frameworks or WMP11 then unfortunately you won't be able to use Zenses at all.

Installation

Download the latest version of Zenses. Unzip the folder and place it wherever you choose being sure to remember where you put it. You can move the Zenses app (the green star) to your Desktop for easier startup. Zenses doesn't install onto your computer so double clicking the application is the easiest way to start the program.

Getting Started

Before Zenses will even recognize tracks you've played, you first have to run the application with your player connected. It'll scan your media and when it's finished the "Last.fm" tab window will be empty. Close Zenses and disconnect your player. Listen to some songs then re-connect your player and run Zenses. This time it should display the tracks you listened to. You now have to enter the date, time and interval. You want to be careful not to enter a time before your last scrobbled track on your profile or else it'll trigger the spam protection on Last.fm. And it also gets a little tricky if you want to scrobble tracks on your pc in the near future. Try entering the time and date just after your last scrobbled track. The default interval is 15 seconds which is fine, but most songs are on average 180 seconds. So if you want your charts more accurate change it to 180 or whatever you want. Select Update and click Submit. The "My Player" tab does not work and will most likely crash the app. - Don't Touch!!

If you are going to be scrobbling tracks on your pc's media player after submitting tracks from your device you might want to keep the interval set to 15 or 30, especially if you have quite a few tracks to be submitted. Sometimes I'll have maybe 250 tracks from my ZVM to send to Last.fm and the last scrobbled track on my profile was only an hour ago, so even if i do the 15 second interval: 250 x 15 secs = 3,750 seconds which runs at just over an hour. So what'll happen is the last scrobbled track from Zenses will show as "In 2 min" as opposed to "Just Listened" on my profile. So until that 2 minutes is up I can't scrobble any tracks from Winamp (or foobar . Kinda sucks I know, but until further development we're stuck with this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
So until that 2 minutes is up I can't scobble any tracks from Winamp (or foobar . Kinda sucks I know, but until further development we're stuck with this.
I have the problem that sometimes tracks from my D2 won't be submitted to last.fm, even though Zenses reported "success".

I thought this could be because I tried submitting via Zenses from one computer while I have Winamp running on another one (with the same last.fm account active)... but turns out this isn't the case.

I tried the hints about altering time/date, but those didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
... but turns out this isn't the case.
are you sure? if you were playing a song in winamp and have audioscrobbler installed then that sounds like the problem. have you had success before this occurrence?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Yes, I usually have Winamp playing all the time, and the first time Zenses worked fine. After that Zenses would say "success", but the tracks weren't on the site.

I turned Winamp off to re-check if that's the cause for Zenses to not send the data, waited ~15 minutes, then scrobbled with Zenses, with 180sec interval and 30 minutes in the "future" of the first track time. Not working...

Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM

mmm try 0.1.7c and see if that works. it's frustrating i know, hopefully 1.7 works with the D2.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Sorry I didn't mention the version info before. I was using 0.1.7c and 0.2 alternately, seeing which one works best on my machine. Heh, at least with 0.1.7c I got the "spam protection" popup on my last.fm site... that's better than nothing.

I'll try some more - seems trial and error is the only way to get the best out of Zenses at the moment.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM

with version 2.0 i can successfully send 10 tracks at a time, no more, after that it goes haywire. ( windows XP with Net framework 2 )

Last edited by FrododorF; 11-02-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Does it works with Vista (x64)? I keep getting this error when I click on Refresh (I have a Zune 30 2.1). And if the Zune is connected I can't even open up Zenses.
See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.************** Exception Text **************System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070490): Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490) at PortableDeviceApiLib.IPortableDeviceValues.GetAt(U Int32 index, _tagpropertykey& pKey, tag_inner_PROPVARIANT& pValue) at ZensesLibrary.ZensesDevice.getProperties(String objectId) in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesLibrary\ZensesDevice.cs:line 242 at ZensesLibrary.ZensesDevice.updateProperties() in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesLibrary\ZensesDevice.cs:line 315 at ZensesLibrary.ZensesDevice..ctor(Zenses zenses, String deviceId) in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesLibrary\ZensesDevice.cs:line 44 at ZensesLibrary.Zenses.getListOfDevices() in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesLibrary\Zenses.cs:line 151 at Zenses_2.ZensesForm.getList() in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesForm.cs:line 54 at Zenses_2.ZensesForm.button5_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\My Documents\Zenses\Apps\Zenses 0.2\Zenses 2\ZensesForm.cs:line 195 at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM

Sorry, I missed your question when you posted it. No Vista is not supported at this time. The next version will support Vista and hopefully OSX, Ubuntu, etc. - There's no telling when it'll be available, the developer was hoping by October but kept running into problems so I'm really hoping in the next few months. I'll be sure to post it when he launches it.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I have the problem that sometimes tracks from my D2 won't be submitted to last.fm, even though Zenses reported "success".

I thought this could be because I tried submitting via Zenses from one computer while I have Winamp running on another one (with the same last.fm account active)... but turns out this isn't the case.

I tried the hints about altering time/date, but those didn't work either.

Any ideas?
same problem here. tried several versions, played with times, dates, the whole deal. before i had absolutely no trouble with it, but i had to get my iriver replaced and now that its back i can't get anything to scrobble. no clue why. tested most the versions, but mostly 0.1.7 and 0.2..

Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 AM

any possible solutions for zune 3.0? it scans but does not load the track list.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Mmmm no problems here. Sorry, but the only thing I can think of is to keep trying.