android
Old 11-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Rockbox and micro sd card size

I have read that if one uses Rockbox then they are not limited to a 2 GB micro sd card like they are with the native Sansa interface. I have a e260 and want to get a 8 GB micro sd card to give me a total of 12 GB of memory. Will this work if I am using Rockbox?
Thanks,
Salt_fly

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Yah it does work within rockbox but your going to need a card reader to actually put music on it because the sansa firmware wont recognize anything bigger then 2gb and rockbox does not yet have usb support.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, Scary Cow is right. Rockbox lets you use microSDHC cards, but you need to use a card reader tho.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Cow View Post
Yah it does work within rockbox but your going to need a card reader to actually put music on it because the sansa firmware wont recognize anything bigger then 2gb and rockbox does not yet have usb support.
I've seen this stated a couple of times, but does that apply to both MSC and MTP modes (or whatever the 3 letter mode abbreviations are!)? What I'm wondering is whether in the regular mounted-drive mode whether I would need to use a card reader with uSDHC cards larger than 2GB. As a Mac OS X user I have no use for the other mode (MTP?).

Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
I've seen this stated a couple of times, but does that apply to both MSC and MTP modes (or whatever the 3 letter mode abbreviations are!)? What I'm wondering is whether in the regular mounted-drive mode whether I would need to use a card reader with uSDHC cards larger than 2GB. As a Mac OS X user I have no use for the other mode (MTP?).
The retail firmware can't read SDHC, so it doesn't matter what mode you mount the device in. It can't even talk to the card.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM

What you *can* do is fill up your 4GB of internal memory by copying via USB using the original firmware, then disconnect, reboot into rockbox, and move the data from the internal memory onto the SD card. Then repeat and your memory card should be pretty much full.

***HOWEVER***

There do still seem to be some bugs with rockbox's SD card driver. I got some data corruptions as my SD card was filling up - i *suspect* that this happened when the card became full (maybe the addressing wraps around) but i'm not 100% sure. Be VERY CAREFUL as you approach the card's maximum capacity (you can check the current card usage by checking the properties of <microSD1> in rockbox, but it's not all that accurate). Note that its only the files on the SD card that seemed to get corrupted, so it shouldnt brick your player. Shouldnt.

Also i found that after moving a certain number of files rockbox wouldnt move any more - you have to switch off and on again in order to move more files over. Best bet is to move files over in batches of, say, 512MB to 1GB or so, then reboot if the next move fails.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
What you *can* do is fill up your 4GB of internal memory by copying via USB using the original firmware, then disconnect, reboot into rockbox, and move the data from the internal memory onto the SD card. Then repeat and your memory card should be pretty much full.
I take it that Rockbox allows you to move the data from the internal flash to the external flash without connecting via USB - just a data move? That's pretty cool (and powerful).
I just saw a retailer online (sorry I didn't save the link) that's selling a 16GB card for about $68 (US). Add that to my $45 refurbished e270 and I'd have 22GB of media player for $113 - compare that to an 8 GB iPod Nano that's about twice the price and you see the ridiculous disparity in value.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:40 PM

By the way although you can move files in rockbox between card and internal be very careful doing this i used to do this all the time and some people might never have a problem but i ended up corrupting almost everything by trying to move a movie file from one to another and having to format so although this method would work id still suggest a card reader

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a card reader, so I will transfer from pc that way and enjoy a lot more music.

Salt_fly