android
Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 AM

Default First Impressions

I received my Q5 just today. Here's a few first impressions:

- much heavier than expected
- slightly larger than expected
- sound quality is amazing, definitely a step up from my Zen W
- speaker quality is great, better than the Zen W
- GUI is OK, but I preferred the Zen W's I think.
- good to have windows functionality
- supplied video out cables are OK, but nice to either be more compact (shorter) for travel, or to have a shorter set as well (to more easily take places).
- the high res of the screen can make pointing accuracy critical
- brilliant screen quality
- nice having file system navigation but yet to see if it's going to be a pain having to do more navigation to find photo's or the like.
- only a getting started few pages supplied (in many languages), no printed manual. Not a problem I think. There might be something on the software CD which I haven't yet installed.

Roger.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 AM
ABI Invaluable

you can also dl the manual.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Yeap, found the manual on the supplied CD and online.

I've since upgraded the firmware to the current 1.51 version.

I'm reasonably happy with the player, certainly it is very capable. I am missing the simple to use interface of my ex Zen W though. I can't work out yet in the Cowon if/how I can view albums by album title, track title, artist title, etc... all I have so far is a list of filenames. That's a bit disappointing.

Roger.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:56 AM

Another update on this, as I learn more about the player.

Some pro's:
- USB Host functionality
- Dynamic Playlist functionality (much easier to use than similar on my ex Zen W)
- Sound quality is definitely great
- Touch screen and screen quality is great.
- Screen stays on when viewing pictures
- Cartoon image view mode (drag to navigate between images)

Some con's:
- Songs only listed by file name, not: title, author, album, etc. This is a serious deficiency for something which calls its self a "Premium PMP" in my mind.
- No searching on title, author, album, etc either (as per above).
- No easy way to play all songs in random sequence (need to build a Dynamic Playlist if you want to).
- WiFi seems to easily work sometimes and not others. Unsure why. Authentication failed and not much more help from the player as to what's wrong.

Roger.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

So you cant browse songs categorised by the id3 tags? I can hardly belive it... O_O

Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzx View Post
So you cant browse songs categorised by the id3 tags? I can hardly belive it... O_O
I too found this hard to believe, so I skim read the manual and it does read id3 tags, as well as displaying album art.

@ rogerg are your music files properly tagged? If not, try mp3tag, it's a free easy-to-use tool to edit metadata.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Yeap, my songs have correct info in them. They also worked fine on my old Zen W and my partners Zen.

Perhaps I'm missing something still, but ... The manual is correct that it reads the information, but it only does so to show the information for the selected song only. You can't/don't see a list of song titles, or list of artists. All you see is a list of file names inside folders. When you select one of those songs, sure, it then shows you the title, author, album and album art.

I don't find that useful - once I've selected the song I know what it is, it's being able to select all songs by an artist or title which I'd like, like I was able to do on my Zen W.

Am I missing something?

Roger.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm looking at this device as a replacement for my Zen Vision W as well. Does it play widescreen Divx video specifically formatted for the Zen? I have already ripped all my DVDs to that format and don't particularly care to do it again.

Also, does this thing talk via bluetooth to other bluetooth devices like PDA phones?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Q5W has an 800x480 screen, the ZVW has a 480x272 screen. This means the Q5W has three times more pixels than the ZVW - three times more sharpness, clarity, detail.

Of course your old ZVW videos would play on the Q5W, but you would be missing out on quite a lot of quality improvement.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I'm looking at this device as a replacement for my Zen Vision W as well. Does it play widescreen Divx video specifically formatted for the Zen? I have already ripped all my DVDs to that format and don't particularly care to do it again.
The ones I had on my zen do play on the Q5, but I didn't have many video's, mainly Vodcasts where I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Also, does this thing talk via bluetooth to other bluetooth devices like PDA phones?
No, bluetooth is only available for bluetooth headsets.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed about the Q5's features vs the Zen W and maintain that if my Zen W wasn't dead and new ones not available I would probably choose to buy a new Zen W instead of the Q5 considering the price difference.

The Q5 has more features, and it screen is better, and its sound quality better, but there's down sides. I think I've mentioned them before, but it falls down in areas like:
- not being able to list songs by artist
- not being able to easily play all songs on random
- no tactile buttons so skipping track, pause and play require you to look at the screen (not so easy for while driving)
- video out requires custom cable which is more combersom than the zen one which was also a generic one.

Of course the Cowon Q5 has its advantages over the Zen W too. USB Host is very nice and the touch screen does make for quicker usage most of the time.

Considering the Zen W isn't available, is there a better alternative than the Q5? Hmm, I'm not sure, still undecided. I'm not sure there is. The Cowon O2 looks nice, perhaps better.

Roger.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

I'll keep my eyes open. Having DVR capabilities is also cool, and some of the Archos players do that. I suppose re-ripping all the DVDs into a more universal format with full resolution would not be a bad idea, though time consuming. I like to put movies and TV shows on my Zen and hook it to the TV when I go on ski trips and motorcycle rides with friends, so we have some stuff to watch in the evening.