android
Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Talking My next 5.1 speaker upgrade??

Hey guys/gals

I have been using my Creative inspire digital 5500 for AAAGESS now. In fact I bought them for use with my ps2 and they have served me well

Now I am using them with my creative x fi xtreme music sound card (coaxial/digital line in) for movies, games and music, plus using them via optical on my ps3.

My next problem is finding a suitable replacement. Everytime I go on my PC I like to listen to my tunes but I am becoming an audiophile bad news for the wallet!

I like my songs to be punchy, bassy (my music varies from techno to rock but yeh) but one main gripe with the current setup...surround sound doesnt sound as it should..almost like I can tell which speaker its coming from

As for budget..im a student and the less the better..say 100? Unless i can be talked into more

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2008, 02:30 PM

your desire outstrips your budget i'm afraid.
unless you go shopping for used home stereo/home theater equipment recievers and speakers.... you are probably out of luck. the 5.1 inspire was made to get surround on the cheap. cheap small speakers. you need a good 3"+ speaker in the sats for good midrange for instance, but not going to happen at that price.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM

ok lets talk about expanding my budget then

the logitech z5500s sound okish

Old 11-02-2008, 04:18 PM

http://www.teufel.eu/Homecinema/Kompakt-30.cfm - Kompakt 30 is pretty good for the price. Maybe check the reviews...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM

thanks for the recommendation but i cant seem to find any reviews on it

it also seems that site is the only place to purchase it.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM

yea the kompakt stats look decent.
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...999=WFROOGLEB3
but i guess cambridge might not be sold over there.
but u see the general idea... cheap speakers or speakers designed for looks tend to be too small.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Audioengine makes really awesome speakers for small rooms. I have a set of Audioengine 2's (A2).

You can buy them for about 110 from AMP3 and you might be able to find them for cheaper elsewhere in the UK. They cost $199 in the US.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapoc View Post
thanks for the recommendation but i cant seem to find any reviews on it

it also seems that site is the only place to purchase it.
Ah yes, most reviews are unfortunately in German... well, it's a German company.

They should ship to the UK, since they have prices in GBP on their site as well. I've also seen their speakers on Amazon. They're a bit of a underdog company, secret special tip, unfortunately... but that's probably why their prices are quite fair compared to the competition.

Another option would be Canton Movie 60, 80, or 120: http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetai...movie120mx.htm - They should be easier to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Audioengine makes really awesome speakers for small rooms. I have a set of Audioengine 2's (A2).

You can buy them for about 110 from AMP3 and you might be able to find them for cheaper elsewhere in the UK. They cost $199 in the US.
That's a good suggestion for 2.0 speakers... but unfortunately they don't have any 5.1 solution. I assume since the OP uses a 5.1 setup now (and wants a certain amount of bass), he wouldn't want to step down to stereo...

Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Whops yeah, seems like I forgot the title of the post and just read he said he wasn't happy with his currant surround setup.

As for the A2's bass, there defineatly not tame on the bass, but enough about that anyway...

Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Am i right in thinking the teufel setup is more powerful and cheaper?

If so, i wouldnt mind seeing a couple of these german reviews

Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM

The Teufel are pretty much one of the top 5.1 sets in the EUR 150 price range, yes.

http://www.lloxx.de/testberichte/llo...kompaq-30.html
http://www.testberichte.de/test/prod...0_p118706.html
http://www.etest-heimkino.de/test_de...kompaq_30.html
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-101-801.html

Maybe you get lucky with Babelfish or Google Translate.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Hold it, hold it, hold it... the Teufel are passive (except the woofer), they need an amp. I guess that renders them useless for your wallet. Sorry.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

ahh right, no problem mate, at least someone who can read speaker specs pointed that out before I bought it! lol

some more ideas now i suppose? 5.1, with an amp for 150-200 then?

music, movies and games

optical for ps3, any other suitable connector for my soundcard

bassy

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Are the cantons passive too?