android
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Earphone recommendation wanted.

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a new set of earphones as I'm getting bored of fixing my Mylarone X3i's (I'm on my third set, of which, I've mended three times!). I really like the sound of them on whatever audio source I use, amp'd and unamp'd (Fiio E3).

I have really small ears so I don't want anything big and bulky and a supply of different tips would be handy. I also need them to be durable/rugged. I take care of my earphones, like the next person but I'd like something that'd last a few years.

Sound quality wise, I'd like to have some more detail than the X3i's and same amount of bass but possibly better quality bass?

I'm looking at spending around $200-250 (£100-150).

So far, I've looked at the Atrio M5, Q-Jays, Super .Fi 5, Sleek Audio SA6 and the Etymotics range. So far, I've been swinging towards the Atrio M5 but I'm not sure about the size of them in my small ears and the fact that the newer revisions no longer have the memory cord (which would've been nice to have).

I really don't know what to go for. Any suggestions?

Last edited by pspr33; 10-26-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Welcome to ABI pspr33. Take a look at the Atrio M5
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-m8-review.php

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...words=atrio+m5

Old 10-26-2008, 12:53 PM

If you still want heavy bass then I'd say Atrio M5 is your best bet. The Etymotics probably aren't a good choice, and SA-6 are single armatures so their bass won't match the M5. If you're willing to spend 50 more than what you're looking at, the Westone UM2's probably aren't a bad choice.
To come:
Zune 120

Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the UM2's but they look really big for my ears and probably difficult for me to fit into my ears.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Apparently there are some new Mylarones out soon: CrossRoads MylarOne Bijou.

They have much better build quality;

Strain Relief where the cables exit from the housing, right angle jack, better cables, smaller housing so you can stick it deeper to keep more ambient noise out.

And from early reviews, better audio quality to boot. I may wait it out a little longer...

Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspr33 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did look at the UM2's but they look really big for my ears and probably difficult for me to fit into my ears.
I've got the UM2, And they really fit very nicely. They look big but they fit very flush.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
I've got the UM2, And they really fit very nicely. They look big but they fit very flush.

But do you have small ears?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 PM

No not exactly. I use medium tips on my IEM phones.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:27 PM

pspr33,
I’ll second your recommendation on the CrossRoads MylarOne Bijou. If I’m correct, the prototype name was “petite,” which probably got changed to “Bijou” for marketing purposes. The design is nice, they appear to have a better build quality than the "i" series, as the one’s I tested at canjam were made of metal and not plastic. They appear much smaller in size and the cables seem better too, more like the old X3 or XB cables but better stress relief, so they’re probably less prone to damage. I would think that the pricing should be in the $50.00 to $65.00 range once released, but I could be wrong.

If you look at the picture below, it was going to be called petite on the left of picture (not the Mylar detachable cable one in my hand) and now it’s the bijou … looks the same as the pictures of the Bijou that I've seen on the net.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
pspr33,
I’ll second your recommendation on the CrossRoads MylarOne Bijou. If I’m correct, the prototype name was “petite,” which probably got changed to “Bijou” for marketing purposes. The design is nice, they appear to have a better build quality than the "i" series, as the one’s I tested at canjam were made of metal and not plastic. They appear much smaller in size and the cables seem better too, more like the old X3 or XB cables but better stress relief, so they’re probably less prone to damage. I would think that the pricing should be in the $50.00 to $65.00 range once released, but I could be wrong.

If you look at the picture below, it was going to be called petite on the left of picture (not the Mylar detachable cable one in my hand) and now it’s the bijou … looks the same as the pictures of the Bijou that I've seen on the net.

Yeah, I was really interested in the 'Petites' from camjam but nothing surfaced thus I started to look for a new set elsewhere. I'd definitely get a set if they're the same price as the X3i's and had better cables (I hate the cables on the X3i). I'd also be interested in the ones with detachable cables.

There's a whole thread over at the jaben forums about them, it appears they're already on sale in Wilsons store but aren't yet for sale on his website.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:35 PM

I have no interest for the detacable cables, but I'd certainly welcome the Bijou

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspr33 View Post
Yeah, I was really interested in the 'Petites' from camjam but nothing surfaced thus I started to look for a new set elsewhere …
I held and tested them, I really think it’s the Bijou.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks again for the replies guys, I *had* to buy some new earphones in the end as my X3i's decided to break yet again. I ended up going for the Atrio's which are arriving whilst I'm on my travels (typical).

Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM

No problem pspr33, glad we could help and welcome again to ABI We do still need to find out if these bijou's are good or not.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Haven't the Bijou's been out since august or so? I've seen people talking about it on head-fi but where can you order them from?
A little confused

Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crysis View Post
Haven't the Bijou's been out since august or so? I've seen people talking about it on head-fi but where can you order them from?
A little confused
AFAIK they can be purchased from uncle wilsons store, but not on jabens site yet.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
AFAIK they can be purchased from uncle wilsons store, but not on jabens site yet.
Oooh you mean the actual physical store... got ya. When are they available online?

P.S. What does AFAIK mean??

.. and sorry for jacking the thread kind of.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here is a link: http://unclewilsons.com/shop/step1.php?number=622

AFAIK is As far as I know.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
No problem pspr33, glad we could help and welcome again to ABI We do still need to find out if these bijou's are good or not.
Thanks Great forum you guys have here.

The Atrios arrived today! First listen..bass. Jeez, even more than the X3i and old XB's..much smoother though. Currently burning them in, hopefully they'll open up a bit..?

However, I really want to wear them so the wire is over the ear but as they're the newer revision, they don't have the memory wire so the earphone wire keeps slipping over my ears which is very annoying. Should I have the wire going over my back or front? Can you buy the memory stuff separately from anywhere?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM

Hang the phones in a position similar to how the wire should be when youre wearing them (hanging them over the thing edge of an mp3 player works) and let them sit while they burn in. Most cable is memory wire, it just takes a long time to get into its long term memory. Even my er 6i's, probably the thinnest wires of any IEM and if not its missing a damn good chance, have memoried to hook over my ears.

Tags
earphone, recommendation, x3i