android
Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Looking for new headphones (10-30 bucks)

I recently bought a pair of Koss Sparkplug headphones (i dont exaclty know the product number or type) for 20 bucks, and they suck.. They're usable, but not as good as i thought they would be.. A ear-clip headphone would rock though.. i used to have an RCA pair of those... they rocked..

EDIT: I mostly listen to Alternertive rock, rock, and hip hop

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM

Try the Koss KSC75s, they're ear clips and are supposed to have great sound.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

Sorry about the Koss Plugs. They are the worst phone I've ever sampled.

The best cheap phone I've tried is the JVC HA FX55, but I'd urge you to save up and spend a little more.

For $50 you could buy the Sennheiser CX300 or the V-Moda bass Freq, both of which get decent reviews even from the audiophile types on HeadFi.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM

The folks at head-fi.org are a great resourse for all things headphone related.

They almost universally love the Koss KSC75's and refer to them as probably the best sub-$20 cans you can buy.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb
They almost universally love the Koss KSC75's and refer to them as probably the best sub-$20 cans you can buy.
And with good reason.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 AM

Sounds great! I'll check them out next time i get some money..

The Koss KSC75's.. sound great!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Hope you have a loud player (more than 30mW output), the KSC-75 are a bit high on impedance (60 Ohm, IIRC) - they sound better with a louder player. But still much above average with any weak player.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Hope you have a loud player (more than 30mW output), the KSC-75 are a bit high on impedance (60 Ohm, IIRC) - they sound better with a louder player. But still much above average with any weak player.
Well, I have a Sansa E-130 right now, but im planning to get an Iriver Clix. Would that be a good one for these headphones?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM

I don't want to plug it too much, but www.headphonereviews.org has a wizard system which can help you choose headphones. It's not an exhaustive list, all reviews are user supplied, but it might be handy. Be aware it's more aimed at the audiophile, so a score of 4/10 for cheap headphones isn't a bad thing. The Koss KSC-75 do have a good reputation.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

I had a look at your wizard, and have to say that when looking for IEMs, I'd expect to find the leading contenders at every price point, so the absence of the V-Moda Vibe and Bass Freq, the Sony EX90, the Sennhesier CX300, any of the Altec Lansings, the Panasonic HJE70, the Audio Technica ATH CK7, the JVC HA FX55, etc. etc. made it a bit of a joke, to be honest.

I applaud your intention, and the concept and look of the site is great, but it's just too incomplete to be taken seriously.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
I had a look at your wizard, and have to say that when looking for IEMs, I'd expect to find the leading contenders at every price point, so the absence of the V-Moda Vibe and Bass Freq, the Sony EX90, the Sennhesier CX300, any of the Altec Lansings, the Panasonic HJE70, the Audio Technica ATH CK7, the JVC HA FX55, etc. etc. made it a bit of a joke, to be honest.

I applaud your intention, and the concept and look of the site is great, but it's just too incomplete to be taken seriously.
The aim of the site is audiophiles who spent at least a couple of hundred dollars on headphones, not the cheap stuff, but it does have some cheaper stuff in it. All reviews are user supplied, so if you can add reviews for anything, go for it! Make sure you read the review instructions though, and only people who have got experience listening to good high end headphones are accepted as reviewers. This is so they have a good frame of reference, and don't go rating $50 headphones as 10/10 or anything stupid like that.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando
Make sure you read the review instructions though, and only people who have got experience listening to good high end headphones are accepted as reviewers. This is so they have a good frame of reference, and don't go rating $50 headphones as 10/10 or anything stupid like that.
Unfortunately there's some really misleading nonsense found on that site, too:

Quote:
Review by burun on 22 Dec 05 10:06
The Creative ep 630 sounds much clearer than the UE super.fi 5 eb and even equal to the UE super.fi 5 pro.
For this price its incredibly!!!
Enough said...
Fortunately, most other comments I've browsed through are more meaningful than this one, though.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruser
Well, I have a Sansa E-130 right now, but im planning to get an Iriver Clix. Would that be a good one for these headphones?
According to the specs the Clix has 30mW (15+15mW) output power. That's not that much for todays standards, but it's also not bad. It'll do fine for the KSC-75s.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ul...2GB.aspx#specs

Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Unfortunately there's some really misleading nonsense found on that site, too:

Enough said...
Fortunately, most other comments I've browsed through are more meaningful than this one, though.
Yeah I can't really be bothered checking everything that's written, I should really add a "report comment" feature, once a user makes one bad call they'd get booted. That was made by a junior member, their comments are kept but their scores are ignored - only senior members scores are used. I'll go deal with that user now

Like I said, everyone's welcome to contribute reviews, the more the better!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 PM

Thanks, Commando - that site is a great idea... I've known it for a year or so already, thanks to Head-Fi, but I check back regularly for new reviews.