android
Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Exclamation Moved Movie in Rockbox now I Have no memory left!!!

So today i tried to move a 160mb video from my sd card to my sansa using rockbox by cutting and pasting now looking back on it it was probably a bad idea. While it was moving the file the sansa froze and i had to hard reset it before i moved it i had a godd 250mb free now after rebooting i have exactly 0mb free and the movie isnt even on there the sansa anymore. Anyone know how to help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what I have heard, there is still a SD driver issue, and that could happen with the Rockbox file moving. What is 0MB? Depending that there is a few fixes.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Sorry for not being clearer 0mb means that if i right click on the sansa on the computer then go to properties it says under free space 0 megabytes. After doing the reboot there were two copies of the movie one on the sd card and one on the sansa. The one on the sd card still works but i deleted the one on the sansa because if i tried to open it the sansa said error.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you might need to reformat the Sansa with the "sansa.fmt" and reinstall the Sansa firmware. Then reinstall Rockbox and put your music and files back on to the Sansa.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Shoot i was afraid i was gonna have to do that im runnin a file error search on it now i guess if that doesnt work ill have to do that

Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM

I dont have any of my music backed up right now tho is there any way that i can back them up before reformatting without carrying the error over on the off chance that the error is in my music folder instead of the video folder

Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as I know, nope, but I have not needed to recovery files on a badly corrupted file system.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Shoot also is it weird that if i right click on my music folder and go to properties it says that it has 18.9 gigabytes of files in it yet i only have an 8 gb snasa :S

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That is a corrupted file system. You could try a chkdsk or an app to check for errors on the Sansa.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Ok thas wat i thought and am in the middle of doing right now thanks for the quick responses

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM

Windows will screw up the file system when you unplug the USB device without stopping it first. This occurs because windows write-caches the device by default which means that it doesn't always immediately write files to the device even though it acts as if it has. When you stop the device, you are telling windows to squirt whatever it has write cached into the device because you want to disconnect it. If you pull the device off before stopping it, there will be open files that are incomplete and you have a corrupt file system.

When you installed the e200 driver, it should have defaulted to non-write caching which makes it safe to remove the device without stopping it first. Check the settings. Go to the control panel, click system, then device manager. Look for the mp3 player under "disk drives" (there will be two entries). Click on one entry, then select "policies". the box for "optimize for quick removal" should be checked- that will disable write-caching and theoretically make it safe to just unplug the device. Make sure the other entry is the same. If either of the settings were write cached, you might want to reinstall the driver, because both should be optimized for quick disconnect.

If you disconnect the player while a file is transferring, God help you- you deserve whatever happens to your file system!

Of course, if you want real reliability, dump windows and run linux or get a Mac. Microsoft is like a recent president who I shall not name- no one can figure out how such an obviously flawed product got into such an important position, but everyone with a brain wishes it weren't so...

Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

M.rehorst, that is not the issue he is having. He used Rockbox to copy from the microSD to the main memory.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rehorst View Post
<clip>Go to the control panel, click system, then device manager. <clip>
Thanks for the fix. Although it should read:

Go to the control panel, click system, hardware tab, then device manager.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Advcomp2019 is right thats not the issue i was having but thanks ill check to make sure that that is the way i have it set up for future file transfering