android
Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Zune v Rhapsody - Music Selection and Usability

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping somebody can give me an idea of how Zune's subscription service compares to Rhapsody's, which I've been using for a few months now, specifically in regards to the selection of music.

I've been really impressed with Rhapsody's selection and have found a lot of great music I didn't know existed, but I'd like to get a player for when I'm out and about, and I haven't been too impressed by what I've seen of the supported players shown on Rhapsody's site.

I was considering getting the latest Zune, and I looked around for a Free Trial of Zune Pass to see if I would like it, but I didn't find one. Can any Zune/Rhapsody users out there give me your impressions of the music selections and of the usability of Zune's service as compared to Rhapsody's?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2008, 11:55 PM

With a zune subscription, you can't burn cd's of the music you have downloaded; you can only do that with music you have purchased. As I understand it, rhapsody is exactly the same way.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply hawkshot,

Yeah you can't burn cds unless you purchase the music first. I'm primarliy interested in Zune's subscription service which, as I understand it, allows you to upload subscription-based music to the Zune players during the course of your subscription.

Sorry if my post was unclear.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
ABI Founder

Rhapsody's catalog is more comprehensive than Zunes. Though i use the Zune much more because i feel the software is better.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Rhapsody's catalog is more comprehensive than Zunes. Though i use the Zune much more because i feel the software is better.
I finally got the software to work AFTER I got the Touch. All I'm gonna' say is the Zune program is friggin' GREAT!!!! This is pretty much ALMOST perfect. Now toss in the EQ (on the player AND the software), and add more codec support. Nice, man, REALLY NICE!!! Zune DEV team is almost there. IMO there's no reason NOT to get a Zune.Quick question, did the battery life really get an upgrade? Seems that 1 site is saying that it did, nothing from MS though?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I finally got the software to work AFTER I got the Touch. All I'm gonna' say is the Zune program is friggin' GREAT!!!! This is pretty much ALMOST perfect. Now toss in the EQ (on the player AND the software), and add more codec support. Nice, man, REALLY NICE!!! Zune DEV team is almost there. IMO there's no reason NOT to get a Zune.Quick question, did the battery life really get an upgrade? Seems that 1 site is saying that it did, nothing from MS though?
http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/z...20gb/specs.htm

Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Yup, screen colors and battery life got an improvement!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:51 PM

Default re

Microsoft do offer a 14 days trail of the marketplace pass. Install the zune SW and when you subscribe you should see the free trail option.

I listen mostly to rock music and I find the catalog to be about the same. I have found that Zune has some artist Rhapsody doesn' t and Rhapsody has some that Zune doesn't. So neither is perfect. Of the ~ 40 artist at the recent San Diego Street scene I found all 40 on Zune as well as Rhapsody.

I like the Zune software much more than Rhapsody. It is better at integrating all your music. Rhapsody does not work well if you import your own music. If you import an artist/album you already added from Rhapsody Music guide the library view will be messed up. It will not correctly show you the tracks for this artist/album.

One big difference is how your library is organized. In Zune you have to download anything you want in your library, while in Rhapsody you create bookmarks. So with Rhapsody you can access your library from any computer.

Zune can read m3u playlists so you can use any program to create playlist. Just save the playlist in one of Zune's watched folders and Zune will automatic import then. I have used MusicIP to create playlist. You can also create basic rules based auto updating playlist with the Zune SW.

With Rhapsody can create your own channels based on a number of artists. Zune has no way to create custom playlist/channels based on Zune catalog.

Zune is much better at discovering what others are playing. The Zune social is a big plus over Rhapsody's messy playlist "market". It is basic compared to lastFM but it's a nice addition to a subscription service.

SQ is better with Zune. Subscription downloads are WMA 192kbs (two pass but not WMA pro). This is better than Rhapsody at 160kbps. I even suspect Zune is streaming at 192Kbps as well - but I'm not completely sure. It does sound better than Rhapsody streaming (128kbps).

Zune WiFi is not a useful as I hoped. Range is short and downloads are slow. The WiFi market place is primitive. You get a couple of poor "Top Selections" and then you can search artists. The artist pages just list the albums and tracks. It doesn't have all the extra feature you'll find with the Zune SW. So it not great for discovering new music. You can either stream or download albums or individual tracks. Rhapsody Ibiza is the king in this area - years ahead of Zune and iTunes.

Buy from FM is not working for me. I tried 3 stations in San Diego and none of then tagged the data correctly so Zune couldn't find the track. It would have been better if they'd use one of the song ID services like some cellphones do.

Ratings are primitive (no rating, like, do not like) but at least they sync back to your PC. Very few mp3 players support this with Rhapsody (none of the Zen's as far as I know).

The biggest plus for me is the 120GB capacity. I can listen to my music in lossless WMA - and it's only ~ $0.5/GB. Most of the Rhapsody players max out at ~ 16-32GB and is more than $1/GB.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM

^ Wow very impressive comparison Techmaster. Thanks for posting that. I'll say so far that I'm quite impressed with the Zune Pass (I'm still on my 14 day free trial) and am seriously considering a permanent subscription. There are albums that aren't available for alot of artists but they appear to have a thorough discography for most that I've browsed. I'm sorry that I can't contribute to the comparison as I've never used Rhapsody but you got me really interested in this Rhapsody Ibiza thing.

Tags
compare, music selection, rhapsody, zune, zune pass