android
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM

Default P2 Not turning On after Wash

My P2 just went through the washing machine in a pair of pants (don't ask how... it’s a sensitive subject). I removed its silicon case, touch screen, battery and rear metal cover. I then hair dried it for a good 30 minutes and left it overnight. First attempt to turn it on did nothing, its dead. I then tried plugging it into the USB cable and it transfers files and updates no problem, screen works well too. When I unplug it and try to power it on again it does nothing.

I have tried moving the "hold" button and using the reset button with several attempts with no success. Does anyone know how to go about repairing this?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2008, 02:40 PM

im not sure if u can becuase it sounds like ur battery is fried because it only turns on with the usb cable and thats an external power source so if u can buy an old one off ebay and change the battery thats your only option unless u can buy a battery and u cant even send in the player cause u took it apart

Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Samsung Moderator

Batteries have protection circuits that tend to protect them from frying everything when there is a fault in the circuit. They are non-reversable circuits, so when they're tripped, the battery is toast. If your P2 works when plugged in, then it's likely the player itself is likely not terribly damaged, but your battery will never work again.

You may get Samsung US to replace it, but it's not likely they'll do it for free. If you tell them the unit works but the battery won't hold a charge, they might be willing to do it (I'm not condoning lying to them, but it's their perrogative to ask you the right questions).

A quick Google search yielded no results for user replaceable batteries, but you may be able to find someone who will sell you a battery that matches the specs as the one you have.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:54 PM

i agree with sassafras, try to find out what battery the P2 uses, and look for that type on google. Your gonna have to open the P2 to find out.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM

try and find an old used p2 it doesnt have to work as long as the batt isnt the prob and just switch it

Old 10-05-2008, 08:15 PM

lol, walmart protects me from these kinds of things

Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 PM

UPDATE/SOLVED - I reassembled the P2 and left it for the rest of the afternoon. I eventually decided to play with it again and what do ya know?! It turned on perfectly. The only remaining issue is a little LCD watermark that seems to slowly be dissapearing. I left it playing movies all night with the screen on in a warm spot. So I can honestly say after a little heart ache the P2 has survived the clothes washer.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

Ian

Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Samsung Moderator

For future information, a little advice if you run your stuff through the wash/drop it in the toilet/swim with it/etc:

As soon as possible, open the device and disconnect the battery. This is the most important step. Electronic circuits survive quite well under water if there is no current running through them.

This may seem a little counterintuitive, but you need to flush your device with distilled water. You can simply soak it in a basin of distilled water (after the battery has been removed. Preferably the LCD component as well, if possible). This will remove any residual electrolyte solution from the device. If you simply let it dry, it's possible that a high electrolyte solution (salt water for example) may allow deposits to form when the water evaporates, creating the possibility for short circuit.

After flushing the device, let it dry. For a long time. Find a nice, warm, not too humid room and let your device sit for at least three days. Heck, maybe even a week. Just let it sit. Evaporation is the safest way to let all of the water leave the device. You may want to rotate or inspect periodically to make sure you don't have any puddles or drops forming.

Once you're confident it's completely dry, you can dry reconnecting your battery. It's not the end of the world if is doesn't turn on, as most batteries are fried when the circuit is shorted, and a new battery may solve the problem. If you can, try a new battery before you give up if it doesn't turn on.

If it still doesn't work, consider upgrading

Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM

thats a nice step by step what to do when i take my p2 for a ride in the wash machine :P

tho, salt... my chemistry teacher showed me salt does not have the ability to provide a passtrough for electric volts in solid shape( english not main language, dont know the word, sorry).

anyways just to be sure i guess its a good idea.

but, how do you remove the metal back form the P2, safely? and the front?

ive tried removing the little screw at the back, under the white sticker, but after that i did not move on, scared i might damage or break stuff inside.

so if i ever might need it, anyone here can show me a small tutorial how to open up ur P2?

thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

battery is fucked. the wash really really raped it. best bet is to find a replacement and change it yourself. i doubt samsung would help you in this situation. or they will and charge you the same price as a new p2 to fix it.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the extra comments guys! However please note that my P2 is now fully functional. Turns out the main issue was a lack of patience on my part. The P2 eventually turned on and all was well.

Havocnl, I did find a video online on how to disassemble it... but it was probably the worst video ever made. I will make a new one momentarily and post it.

Thanks again everyone!
Personal File Site for Samsung P2:
www.mediafire.com/ian67camaro

Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM

please link in this topic when u got a vid,

thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Hey. Sorry for the delay on that. I made the video right away but youtube took over an hour to process it. The video link is: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UGIFlyCAipE

This video is 8 minutes of over an hour of P2 footage I've done on youtube. Please refer to my signature for the link to my P2 stuff.

Enjoy!
Personal File Site for Samsung P2:
www.mediafire.com/ian67camaro

Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
...After flushing the device, let it dry. For a long time. Find a nice, warm, not too humid room and let your device sit for at least three days. Heck, maybe even a week. Just let it sit. Evaporation is the safest way to let all of the water leave the device. You may want to rotate or inspect periodically to make sure you don't have any puddles or drops forming...
this is just a suggestion but go find a package of desicants, you know, those things in that come in you shoe boxes that say "don't eat this package", anyway. let it sit out for a couple days on a dry towel then when all the water has drained out put the packages in a plastic bag with the electronic device this is to get any risidual moisture out. i was told by my electronics teacher that if you dont have the device turned on it has a better chance of surviving, because it doesn't short out right away