android
  #1  
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 AM
TooManyMp3s TooManyMp3s is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 45
Default Around the house scratch-off solution?

I've been hunting around the ABI forums, and I found solutions such as Applesauce that can be used to remove scratches.

However, I don't have the money, because I'm only 14 and don't work yet. Are there any around-the-house items I can take a try at? I've tried toothpaste, but it removes (not completely) really really small scratches. I've heard that if I leave the toothpaste on overnight, it will have a better effect. Is this true. I didn't try because I was afraid it might ruin my screen.

And are there any other solutions?

(I went through 2 screen protectors, but they kinda peeled off. I do have a skin for my P2, but the screen is exposed.)
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Coaxkte Coaxkte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Default

well, i heard that bananas are/can used to remove scratches from CDs. You just take a banana, peel it, cut of the top, then rub it on the backing. Leave it for a few seconds, then wash it w/ water and then wipe it with a lint free cloth. For a lint free cloth, I use one of those wipes for your glasses; those work very well. You can find them just about anywhere that sells glasses
__________________
My arsenal:
MP3: Samsung YP-P2
Phone: Samsung SCH U550
Gaming: Sony PSP, Nintnedo DS, Original Xbox
Let's go bust a cap in Apple's ass!
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
curiouswonderer's Avatar
curiouswonderer curiouswonderer is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: vancouver, bc
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaxkte View Post
well, i heard that bananas are/can used to remove scratches from CDs. You just take a banana, peel it, cut of the top, then rub it on the backing. Leave it for a few seconds, then wash it w/ water and then wipe it with a lint free cloth. For a lint free cloth, I use one of those wipes for your glasses; those work very well. You can find them just about anywhere that sells glasses
lol, that would be a good idea, EXCEPT for the wash with water part...i dont think the P2 likes water very much =P

ive seen this product called merlins disk magic that looks like it might work, but havent tried it yet cuz im a poor kid too...

still, if you dont wanna spend any money, your best bet would still to try to toothpaste thing, because some how i dont think w.e chemical is in the toothpaste can diffuse through the thick plastic to harm the screen
__________________
"I don't think, therefore I am not"
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Coaxkte Coaxkte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
lol, that would be a good idea, EXCEPT for the wash with water part...i dont think the P2 likes water very much =P

ive seen this product called merlins disk magic that looks like it might work, but havent tried it yet cuz im a poor kid too...

still, if you dont wanna spend any money, your best bet would still to try to toothpaste thing, because some how i dont think w.e chemical is in the toothpaste can diffuse through the thick plastic to harm the screen
i meant just take like a rag or something, wet it a little in water and then just wipe the banana off
__________________
My arsenal:
MP3: Samsung YP-P2
Phone: Samsung SCH U550
Gaming: Sony PSP, Nintnedo DS, Original Xbox
Let's go bust a cap in Apple's ass!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
curiouswonderer's Avatar
curiouswonderer curiouswonderer is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: vancouver, bc
Posts: 1,316
Default

haha i see =)
my bad then
__________________
"I don't think, therefore I am not"
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
TooManyMp3s TooManyMp3s is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks, I'll try it out and post back with the results. Just gotta wait till my mom has the crave for bananas again.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM
no9's Avatar
no9 no9 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,098
Default

monkeys, monkeys, monkeys
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyMp3s View Post
... I've heard that if I leave the toothpaste on overnight, it will have a better effect. Is this true. I didn't try because I was afraid it might ruin my screen. ...
Not true, don’t leave tooth paste on player … to find out how it works, read about how compound wax works, too long to explain. Also, there are more and less abrasive tooth pastes available, but stick with white.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Lion2k6's Avatar
Lion2k6 Lion2k6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 290
Default

Potatoshells also should work to remove scratches but i didn´t test it yet. ^^
__________________
Love my 8GB White P2 with Creative EP 630
and iPod Touch sucks
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.