android
Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If your budget is not flexible, then the choice should be the Fuze. If you have flexibility, then consider the Cowon D2 or an i7. Keep in mind that the i7 doesn't have a card slot so only consider one with enough storage(8 or 16 gigs?). The i7 has a tiny(1.3") screen. I bought a Fuze, but was thinking about getting an i7 or D2. The Fuze is frustrating since it forces you to navigate by tags. The D2 and i7 navigate by tags or by folders. They also have more than double the battery life of the Fuze. The Fuze also has a proprietary connector and cable, which make you have the headphone plug detatched to reach the release button on the player's cable to remove it from the player.

Last edited by JK98; 09-30-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Default My range can change

I don't want to spend massive amount of money, but I'd be willing. My last idea were the new sony walkman, which was given a customer's choice by cnet. What do you think of it?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony players are okay, but there is no card slot in any of them. If the choice is an 8 gig Fuze or a 4 gig Sony player for around the same price, then it is hard to pick the Sony. An 8 gig Fuze can be expanded to up to 24 gigs, while the 4 gig Sony is stuck at 4 gigs. While the E436 is said to have very long battery life, that seems to be for low bitrates. For higher mp3 bitrates, the battery life might not be so great. If the Sony players had a card slot then I might have bought one. An 8 gig Sony player is around the price of a 4 gig D2, but the D2 has a card slot, so a 4 gig D2 could easily become a 20 gig player by adding a 16 gig SD card.

I too was having trouble trying to choose what to get. My final choice was between the D2 and the Fuze. I wasn't so happy about the D2's touch screen and more than double the thickness of the Fuze. I wouldn't mind a thicker player if it took a AA or AAA battery, as long as it still fits in a shirt pocket. Players with a card slot are relatively new, so I hope there will be much better ones in the future. If my music collection of songs I like was much larger then I would have gotten the D2. I only have around 4 gigs on my Fuze. I have much more music than that, but not music I like to listen to. I underestimated the annoyance of dealing with tags. Perhaps if I got the D2, I might be saying that I underestimated the annoyance of the touch screen?

Last edited by JK98; 10-01-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JK98 I know that you are a big fan of consumer replaceable batteries (AA,AAA) What players have this today? I had a Samsung MT6Z that took 1 AA and I used rechargeable batteries that I charged while I drove(not a hippie, just wanted to try it out) and I loved the fact that when it died in 5 seconds it was ready to roll again not 2-6 hrs like here in the future.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a Creative Nano Plus which uses a AAA battery. It has only 1 gig of storage and a tiny screen. The problem is that there aren't any nice mp3 players with over 4 gigs of storage that use a AA or AAA battery. The 4 gig iriver T60 seems disappointing as well with its unpredictable joystick. The Creative V100 2 gig is lacking a radio and has very slow transfer from the pc. I wish that a larger version of the Clip could be made with a micro SD card slot, and that runs on a AAA battery.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM

So are the fuze and the d2 the best options. I really don't want a touch screen, and don't particularly want to spend that much
what worthwhile features does it have? otherwise ist the fuze the best option?

Any other players you guys like?

Tags
buy, player, price, t9