android
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 AM

Default SanDisk, record labels announce new music format

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10047311-93.html

I look at the artists they are launching this new card with, and I doubt if it is going to pull discerning ears to their product.

This may appeal to technophobes as they dont have to worry about transferring files or anything...as a matter of fact...about 4 days ago, I was telling my friend Brian that this was the next step...solid state/flash.

I would rather carry around 2000 songs on one card, plus the players internal memory than juggle a bunch of cards.

Is this going to be this generations 8-Track tape player?

Are there going to be different encoding options to allow for "audiophile" releases? (like my Mobile Fidelity Labs gold Dark Side of the Moon, and ELP's Trilogy CD's?)

What about album art? Merchandising? Are we going to see the return of the music on the cereal box promotion? (I remember cutting the record from my box of Sugar Crisp cereal in the 70's). What kind of storage cases will they come in?

For now, I'm happy with my Pilot...and my other PMP's

What do you think?

Last edited by Conchchowder; 09-22-2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: added link

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Not worth it.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beteks View Post
Not worth it.
Not worth it?

That's actually a reasonable and fair move, in my opinion: not only do they use standard MicroSD cards, but the music is in regular MP3 format without DRM.

Shows that the record industry learned from their mistakes, and that being stubborn and treating their customers like criminals was not the right way.

Doesn't mean that you or me is going to buy that - but for the average user it's a great thing, compared to PlaysForSure, FairPlay, and all that crippled, locked down nonsense.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Zune Moderator

I am still a bigger fan of the USB key albums.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Lightbulb Blow for CDs as Sandisk launches 'slotMusic'

This makes for interesting reading.....

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4805516.ece
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM

I forgot to mention - of course it could also be a great move for Sandisk because they rake in the most dough with selling their SD cards...

Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I forgot to mention - of course it could also be a great move for Sandisk because they rake in the most dough with selling their SD cards...
hey..it's all about markets and market share right...$$$$

Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...tion-media.php

Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I am still a bigger fan of the USB key albums.
It IS a USB key album...with a micro SD card inside.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Not worth it?

That's actually a reasonable and fair move, in my opinion: not only do they use standard MicroSD cards, but the music is in regular MP3 format without DRM.

Shows that the record industry learned from their mistakes, and that being stubborn and treating their customers like criminals was not the right way.

Doesn't mean that you or me is going to buy that - but for the average user it's a great thing, compared to PlaysForSure, FairPlay, and all that crippled, locked down nonsense.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...tal-music.html

Ars Technica OpEd..I have to agree with it. Do you see a rise in people writing letters to each-other since the invention of email?

You are suggesting a tecnological step backward...from online/over the air downloading to back to walking into a store.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM

hmm...the thought just occured. What if you buy one of these slotMusic cards, get it home and it has 1 or more corrupted tracks?. I'm assuming the stores will take them back for refund?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchchowder View Post
You are suggesting a tecnological step backward...from online/over the air downloading to back to walking into a store.
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything like that.

I welcome the move away from restrictive DRMed formats, towards regular open MP3 content, that was my main point. Something that works everywhere, all the time. Especially since most of the major RIAA labels are involved.

I don't care one way or another what they do, since I will never buy music that way anyways. But it sure might help the 50+ generation to step into the DAP scene, since it's way easier than stealing music from eMule/SLSK/Torrent... not to mention buying from DRMed stores.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM

I was always wondering when we'd move to flash memory, sounds good, though, some people might be confused at how to use them, etc.

DAP/PMP's should start having microSD slots with a "copy from SlotMusic card" feature, then this might take off a bit more, but I think, if they're using flash memory, offer lossless too, as if they don't, there will still be people who prefer CD's because of the versatility of ripping and coverting to whatever format they wish.

Not sure how this will go, but we'll see, I guess.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom1468 View Post
I was always wondering when we'd move to flash memory, sounds good, though, some people might be confused at how to use them, etc.

DAP/PMP's should start having microSD slots with a "copy from SlotMusic card" feature, then this might take off a bit more, but I think, if they're using flash memory, offer lossless too, as if they don't, there will still be people who prefer CD's because of the versatility of ripping and coverting to whatever format they wish.

Not sure how this will go, but we'll see, I guess.
I wonder when video will move to solid-state. I think that will be the next move for the industry.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"That's actually a reasonable and fair move, in my opinion: not only do they use standard MicroSD cards, but the music is in regular MP3 format without DRM. "

Regular mp3? What bitrate is regular? Is it 128 kbps? Even if the music is at 256 or 320 kbps I would still rather have WAV files, so I could choose which bitrate or compression method to use, and later use a different method. Of course WAV files could be put on micro SD cards, however I doubt that would be done though.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchchowder View Post
I wonder when video will move to solid-state. I think that will be the next move for the industry.
I don't think Solid State would be cheap enough to use for HD-content. Also add technology constantly improving, HD just keeps getting better, and of course, bigger.

And in reply to JK98, he meant "regular" as mp3 without DRM, I think.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

people buy music?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
people buy music?
Yes people like me do, be it from the ITunes music store or regular CDs.

Why don't thay include these cards with CDs, preloaded with 320 kb/s MP3 AND Flac. When one buys a CD, he or she just pops the card into his/her MP3-Player or mobile phone and enjoys the music. At home one can just covert the FLAC files to the format they want (WMA and OGG for me). BUT even with these one album shouldn't cost more then 20. And one should be able to get the money for the card back if he/she returns it to the store (I would keep them anyway *gg*).
32 GB iPod Touch 3GS
27" iMac (since 08.10.2010)

Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i was being facetious

Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

how big will the sd cards be?

and i doubt this will catch on, because many of the more popular brands *cough*ipod*cough* dont support microsd...

Tags
media, mp3, player, sandisk