android
Old 08-17-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I am glad you didn't buy the 8 gig. That would have been the worst choice. Since SD cards are expensive where you are, and having a large class 2 card would be very annoying( too slow! A class 4 card would be tolerable, but class 6 would be better), that leans in favor of the 16 gig rather than the 4 gig. In the US the pricing is $145, $175, and $216(B&H Photo). So the prices here are much more tightly grouped, although SD cards are also much cheaper here. There are now $1.128 Australian dollars to a US dollar, so $295 Australian equals $261.63 US. So prices in Australia don't seem that huge compared to US prices. In other parts of the world, prices might be around double US pricing.
I know what your trying to say, but we have a general sales tax here that applies to imports too. That's 10% straight to our government as soon as it enters the country. Also, another import duty charge of up to 15% applies. This takes the $216 price up to $308 (as they are all calculated separately) and that's without even adding shipping.

Anyway, got it a couple of days ago, it really is fantastic. Was unsure about the touchscreen but after getting the unit I found it was much easier to use that anticipated. Its also much easier to change themes/flash than people made out, so I was very happy about that too. Thanks for all you opinions and your input into my decision.

I re-ripped some of my better music in .flac (and my placebo gland is loving it) so my music jumped up to about 8.7GB. I dropped a couple of pics and a movie for school encoded in DivX and watched it on the train. I seriously love my D2!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I am glad you didn't buy the 8 gig. That would have been the worst choice. Since SD cards are expensive where you are, and having a large class 2 card would be very annoying( too slow! A class 4 card would be tolerable, but class 6 would be better), that leans in favor of the 16 gig rather than the 4 gig. In the US the pricing is $145, $175, and $216(B&H Photo). So the prices here are much more tightly grouped, although SD cards are also much cheaper here. There are now $1.128 Australian dollars to a US dollar, so $295 Australian equals $261.63 US. So prices in Australia don't seem that huge compared to US prices. In other parts of the world, prices might be around double US pricing.
I actually did opt for the 8gig . Mainly due to the fact that 8GB will do me for now easily, I'm also buying a case and we're trying to save money ATM.
4gig was too small immediately and I can buy 8GB SD cards onlione for <$40 (and I expect this to drop even more over time), which kind of made the extra 8GB on the unit more expensive.

I may regret this a little in the future but I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it . As long as there are SD cards to bump it up, I don't think I'll regret it too much.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What ever size you finally opted for I know you'll enjoy your D2. Great choice IMO!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM

I bought a 16gb ($60 more than the 4gb) on the theory that I'll have forgotten about the extra $60 a few paychecks from now, but the limitation of a 4gb player will be with it forever. I have slight regrets, especially since the D2 USB port is so slow that copying files from a computer onto SDHC externally is much faster. I wouldn't have gotten the 8gb for reasons already described. I do think getting a case is worthwhile.

24gb is not all that much storage even for audio, especially if you use flac format. One ripped and flac'd cd is about 300MB so you're just talking about 150-200 cd's, not all that big a collection. Given the amount of free download sites that are out there, you can fill almost any portable player fairly quickly.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
SansaRulez83 - Trying to make friends I see?
Get the highest capacity that will give you the longest life of the player. 16gb for a flash player is small and, even if you never get an sdhc card, you'll still have plenty of space on the internal.
As for it eating up battery time using an sd card - even if ya' get 40 something hrs - SO WHAT?
And on the subject of space on an iPod: I had an iPod Video 60gb and pretty much had it maxed out. Video's can do that you know. As well as there being MANY who like to carry around their personal library w/them. Most w/an iPod do that. I know quite a few myself that do. I have 24gb of space and I'm PISSED cause the capacity is STILL so low for most flash based players.
Remember, the OP can only decide for themselves BUT your trying to make a decision FOR them as well, just as ALL of us are trying to help do. Were ALL just as guilty as the others who've posted here. I still stand by my suggestion of getting a 16gb D2 - the SAME AS YOU'VE SUGGESTED!
As for the place to purchase - darned if'n I KNOW! The OP needs to find a store or site on the net that ships to their location. That's why, unless I know if they're in the US or not, I won't make purchase suggestions.

Rant shall be concluded for the day - AMEN!
After months of personal use, I'm glad that the OP decided to go with the 8GB. The 16GB is haunted! There are ghosts I tell ya! Ghosts!
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Btw what kind of an SDHC card should I buy to D2? If I just get the cheapest card, for example SanDisk SDHC-Card 8GB (http://www.mp3-player.de/index.php?page=article&ID=6194) will it be too slow or something like that?

Tags
cowon, d2, iaudio, memory, price