android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa c200

Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 AM

Angry Sansa c250 v2 error message "Not enough space for music DB. Please free 4 MB"

After unplugging the USB from my Windows XP SP2 computer, my Sansa c250 v2 displayed "firmware upgrade in progress." Finally after an hour of this display, I forced a power down. Attempting to power it up, the SanDisk splash screen displays and is immediately followed with the error message: "Not enough space for music DB. Please free 4 MB." Interesting, this is a 2 GB player so this is impossible. A forced MSC mode (Hold on with Rewind button held down and connect with USB to PC) has the identical displays. At this point, the device is not seen by Windows (no drive letter, no device manager entry, nor entry in Computer Management under Removable Storage or Disk Management) and none of the buttons on the Sansa will respond. I've installed & uninstalled the SansaUpdaterInstall.exe with numerous reboot to attempt to reach the c250. I've read nearly every post regarding the C200 & C250 on this site & Sandisk.com. I've been waiting 3 weeks for a response from Support@sandisk.com. I even plugged the c250 via USB to my iBook G4 with no recognition of the device - neither mounted nor seen by the System Profiler. What is the solution? Do I start mixing mortar?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried formatting the player and then put your songs back onto the player?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Help How to format?

No matter how I power up the c250, all I get to is the Sansa splash screen and then immediately the error message "Not enough space for music DB, Please free 4MB", nothing more. On the PC or Mac side, they see nothing either.

Back in early July the c250 was running out of power, so I plugged the USB into my iBook G4 to charge the battery while out of town. It charged up OK but I notice that the c250 displayed not only "connecting" but "writing" a couple of times. However, after I powered it down and unplugged the USB, the c250 would power up only to the Sansa splash screen not getting as far as the Gator screen. But in this scenario, I could boot using forced MSC mode (HOLD on, hold down the BACK button & plug the USB into the PC) and the PC recognized it as a drive letter at which point I deleted all files & folder & copied C200PA.bin to the C250. Unplugging the USB from the PC, the c250 said "Firmware upgrade in progress" and stayed that way. After a couple of hours I just forced a power down and I has been working fine for a month until this difficulty. The c250 is just not booting up far enough to be recognized by the PC. Any ideas?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can you get to the menu on the Sansa? If it is the same as the Clip and e200v2(I read this tho), there is a format in the menu.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Help No menu, doesn't bootup far enough

Nope, no menu and no button will respond except the menu/on/off if you hold it long enough for a power down when you power up in forced MSC mode. If you just power up the c250 with the HOLD off, you get the same error message but it will power down on it's own in about 10 seconds. If you power up with the HOLD on, you get the typical padlock symbol after the Sansa splash screen and it powers it's self down. I believe it does not bootup far enough to get to any menu but that's my estimation. More ideas? Thankx for he responses though. Still waiting on a Sansa response via email. ... mark :-)

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you sure you have v2 and not a v1? Can you try the v1 recovery mode?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Help Sansa c250 v2

I'm pretty sure it's a ver 2 model. The battery cover on the back has "Made in China model c250 v2". The last firmware upgrade was from the zip file c200v203.02.05a.zip with the extracted file C200PA.BIN. This was working for the last month or so. Moreover, I believe the forced MSC mode for the v2 is the HOLD on, holding the BACK button when you plug in the USB (which used to work) whereas the v1 is holding the RECORD button when you plug in the USB (which doesn't work, I tried it before this bricking session). ... mark :-)

Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sometimes the backs are wrong that is why ask. You might have to RMA it if Sandisk does not have fix. Sorry if I was not much help.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM

You mentioned you used your Macbook to charge it, have you tried accessing the player using a Windows based PC? This sounds suspiciously like a problem my nephew had charging his Samsung P2 via his Mac.

Solved the problem by formatting the player in Windows and re-installing the firmware.. for some reason some Macs have a problem releasing some UMS/MSC players upon USB disconnection and causes them to error with a "No space for DB" message.

In any case try formatting using Windows, if you are able to.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Help Sansa C250 vs Mac

I've noticed a couple of post about the Mac leaving hidden dot files (.xxx) on the player as a possible problem. I think this could be part of the problem with Mac vs c250 especially with v2. After plugging the USB to my iBook G4 a couple of months ago, I did fix this problem on a WinXP PC by blowing away all the files and folders and dropping the C200PA.BIN file on the root of the file system. But I could see the player as a drive letter. I cannot get that far this time. True, formatting the memory would wipe all the files and folders as well. I approached the problem more cautiously. Since the WinXP PC cannot see the player, I also tried to use the Mac iBook G4 to try and see the player with out success. With another email to support@sandisk.com and no response, I'm going to have to phone them to get anywhere.
Thankx for the two bits ... mark :-)

Tags
c250, firmware upgrade, free 4mb, music db, not enough space