android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You do know that output wattage doesn't mean anything for the sound quality, and only very little for the peak volume levels? Manufacturers cheat anyways with their specs... not everything is as big a lie as PMPO vs. RMS watts, but still: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

My home amp has true 30W RMS... and I dare you turn the volume wheel more than a quarter.

Best you try both the JVC and Harman in a store and decide which one sounds better.
You're probably right, I haven't heard either of them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The JVC sounds better actually. Go and hear for yourself - there's a lot of street musicians in NYC that had them hooked up to guitars a few yrs back - great sounding box!!!

EDIT: Circuit City is going to start selling the JVC KaBoom Box is the US. Oh, temptation!!!!

Double EDIT: Too late - ordered a Sony NWZ-A829. This baby will be for a little later, and it will be MINE!!! Well,........... me and The Misses !!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-21-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM

This Sony for $100 is decent. I use one for roofing work and it sounds pretty good.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony boombox is good,......... but next to the JVC it whispers.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
This Sony for $100 is decent. I use one for roofing work and it sounds pretty good.
GreatDane, I've owned one of these sony's before the jvc, ended up selling the sony as parts cause it kept breaking and I upped to the jvc. The sony just didn't last compared to how the jvc has ... yes it's cheaper but only by $75 to $100, sound is ok - but far far from the beautiful thunder of the kaboom and imo it's not rugged for outdoor/portable use.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the advice WG. I bought the Sony at Best Buy so that I could get the 2 year replacement warranty which will get used I'm sure. Eventually I'll upgrade to the JVC. How many batteries does it use? I'm currently using 8 D cell 11,500 mah with the Sony which have incredible lasting power.

The Sony has enough volume to be heard nicely at up to 50' distance outside if the job-site is fairly quiet. I run it at 90~100 % volume using a 2G shuffle as source.

With the recent heat wave I feared the Sony was getting cooked...it smelled like roasted circuit board but it survived the 130 degree+ torture test.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
......How many batteries does it use? I'm currently using 8 D cell 11,500 mah with the Sony which have incredible lasting power.

The Sony has enough volume to be heard nicely at up to 50' distance outside if the job-site is fairly quiet. I run it at 90~100 % volume using a 2G shuffle as source.

With the recent heat wave I feared the Sony was getting cooked...it smelled like roasted circuit board but it survived the 130 degree+ torture test.

Seems like you've gotten better results from yours than I did, guess I must have abused mine but I did milk it for all it was worth ... you right about the heat, hmm might be what finally killed mine :/

iirc the jvc uses 10 D batteries and 2 AA for the remote, can’t say I’ve really tested how long it lasts as I mainly use AC or an inverter.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That JVC sure looks like a nice unit, to bad it cost so much

Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 AM

The JVCs are good when plunged into the wall, but totally neutered when run on batteries..the batteries can't supply enough current to run the amp. About 10WRMS@4 ohm is all you can get out of 10 "D" cells.

I hate to say such things, but it's true. As far as a boombox for portable use that's decent in this day and age...there is none. They ALL suck!..with one possible exception..and they're built dirt cheap.

http://www.lasonic.com/STORE/PC/Pvie...0&idproduct=69

Yea, it's junk ( and the Lasonics of 20 years ago where junk too)..but compared to everything else on the market today there really is no other viable choice. It's another matter of yesterday's junk being high and above just about all of today's garbage.

I'd seriously look into an old school '80s box with a line in...just look for something that'll run on 8-10 "D" cells NOT just 6. Bass and treble controls (or an eq) and NOT just a tone knob.

The best of the best that can be had for a reasonable (less than $100) price are:

GE "Blockbuster" a.k.a Realistic SCR-8...same box, different case.
GE "Super Stereo"
Rising "20/20"..nice big 8" woofers!
Fisher...just about any of them.
Akai...again..just about any of them.
Sanyo M9905.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Philips AZ1816/AZ1826-has both 3.5mm and USB inputs (can play non-DRM tracks from a connected player).

Battery operated or can be run on mains (charges the connected player).

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive-In-Freak View Post
The JVCs are good when plunged into the wall, but totally neutered when run on batteries..the batteries can't supply enough current to run the amp. About 10WRMS@4 ohm is all you can get out of 10 "D" cells.

I hate to say such things, but it's true. As far as a boombox for portable use that's decent in this day and age...there is none. They ALL suck!..with one possible exception..and they're built dirt cheap.

http://www.lasonic.com/STORE/PC/Pvie...0&idproduct=69

Yea, it's junk ( and the Lasonics of 20 years ago where junk too)..but compared to everything else on the market today there really is no other viable choice. It's another matter of yesterday's junk being high and above just about all of today's garbage.

I'd seriously look into an old school '80s box with a line in...just look for something that'll run on 8-10 "D" cells NOT just 6. Bass and treble controls (or an eq) and NOT just a tone knob.

The best of the best that can be had for a reasonable (less than $100) price are:

GE "Blockbuster" a.k.a Realistic SCR-8...same box, different case.
GE "Super Stereo"
Rising "20/20"..nice big 8" woofers!
Fisher...just about any of them.
Akai...again..just about any of them.
Sanyo M9905.
Have you listened to one of these?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Have you listened to one of these?
Is that your TransActive portable pa system, very nice mon

btw, you're running rockbox on the source I hope

Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does anyone remember the Sharp SuperWoofer from the 80's? You could hear that thing a few blocks away (used it for Poppin' in the city and Jams in El Barrio' (Spanish Harlem). Can't find info on it ANYWHERE!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OMG - I found it on ebay!!! It's the Sharp GF 767/GF-777Z SuperWoofer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

O GAWD,...... if I had the CASH RIGHT NOW!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Is that your TransActive portable pa system, very nice mon

btw, you're running rockbox on the source I hope
Yes, my 5.5G is Rockbox'd. When I'm not using the Alesis outside I crank tunes in bathroom where I use the line out from the Alesis into a 12" subwoofer. Because the acoustics in my small bathroom suck I use the parametric EQ in Rockbox mainly to tweak the bass.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Here's something interesting - http://www.thef80.com/

An "audiophile" semi-boombox, from a company that's mainly popular for its $15.000 - $25.000 CD/DVD players...

... and this one is "only" $2700.

The $600 B&W Zeppelin is pretty cheap in comparison.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Default GE Boombox

I found a GE boombox on the sidewalk today, and I am planning on turning it into a stereo for my bicycle. It has line-in and decent sound when plugged in.

However, it's powered by 6 D-cells when not plugged into the wall. I am thinking about wiring in a harness to hook it up to a 12v sealed lead acid battery that I can recharge. Someone mentioned that 6 D-cells (9V) didn't provide enough juice to drive the speakers as well as wall power - is it possible to run higher voltage (i.e., 12V) via a battery? I know that I can use a 12V battery if I step the voltage down, but if 6 D-cells don't put out enough juice, perhaps running more voltage in is okay?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:53 PM

$2700-bit too much, but for a devoted audiophile it could be perfect.