android
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Rockbox Developer

While this is truly some of the deeper and more philosophically fulfilling discourse I've experienced in these parts, I think we're really not accomplishing anything.

It certainly seems like you've little interest in performing any real contribution. You requested others do your compiling for you, and you'd apparently rather make silly faces than elucidate on any perceived specific flaws in the aforementioned documentation.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2008, 04:32 PM

I read the first few lines of your post, detailing what you want to do -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahkiti View Post
I am currently creating a build of Rockbox that will combine the best qualities of every custom build and current build ever released, and still be very user friendly. Complete with read me files, the manual in .txt format, cfgs for n00bs which has the best presets for everything you need, (EQ, apps, ect) it will also contain all the most commonly used rocks like casegame, pegbox, gif viewer ect. As well as ALL of the extras for the current build, ....

- Vahkiti
I thought that you were really biteing off more than you could chew.

Then you said that you didn't know how to write code. I thought that, at best, you were silly.

If you want to do something useful, which is probably within you present capabilities, you might draw up a list of what improvements should be made in Rockbox - perhaps others will agree and work on them.

Or you can smoke something and dream of doing things that are, at present, beyond you.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_l View Post
I read the first few lines of your post, detailing what you want to do -

I thought that you were really biteing off more than you could chew.

Then you said that you didn't know how to write code. I thought that, at best, you were silly.

If you want to do something useful, which is probably within you present capabilities, you might draw up a list of what improvements should be made in Rockbox - perhaps others will agree and work on them.

Or you can smoke something and dream of doing things that are, at present, beyond you.
All I need to to is apply the patches and edit the splash screen and that's IT! MAYBE if there were detailed instructions or automated compilers, (No more mocking...) I could do it myself.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Arrow Right ...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
While this is truly some of the deeper and more philosophically fulfilling discourse I've experienced in these parts, I think we're really not accomplishing anything....
No no no no no. You see my friend, this IS going to happen and it WILL be grand, with or without your help, now you can all either mock me till your fingertips are raw or you can make use of yourselves, AND POST SOMETHING OTHER THAN FLAME!!!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Look, it's simple. People compile unsupported custom builds of Rockbox all the time. They have other needs and preferences than you do. That's why it's up to you - and you alone - to compile your own "perfect" build.

As Llorean already said, if you have questions to overcome some specific obstacles in creating your own build, post them - but don't expect anybody to do all the dirty work for you.

This thread is going nowhere. Either you learn to compile your custom build, or you don't.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to read the pages that is linked on this page, and it is simple to read and have everything you need to build your own.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Wink Good luck

Quote:
No no no no no. You see my friend, this IS going to happen and it WILL be grand, with or without your help, now you can all either mock me till your fingertips are raw or you can make use of yourselves, AND POST SOMETHING OTHER THAN FLAME!!!!!
Vahkiti, I hope you are successful. I have attempted to compile my own but was unsuccessful. I gave up but may try again someday. I am by no means an idiot, just ignorant. When you figure it out, let me know, maybe it will shed light on what I am doing wrong.

everyone else, I'm not looking for help, so please do not ask me what my problems were. It was a month ago, and can't remember. It may be a simple as an incorrect install of Cigwyn. This is all new to me. You guys have been more than helpful when I have asked for help. Thanks to all.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjb1 View Post
Vahkiti, I hope you are successful. I have attempted to compile my own but was unsuccessful. I gave up but may try again someday. I am by no means an idiot, just ignorant. When you figure it out, let me know, maybe it will shed light on what I am doing wrong.

everyone else, I'm not looking for help, so please do not ask me what my problems were. It was a month ago, and can't remember. It may be a simple as an incorrect install of Cigwyn. This is all new to me. You guys have been more than helpful when I have asked for help. Thanks to all.
My experience is that the folks here are good at helping YOU DO IT. They provide some information, but YOU have to put it together and then YOU have to do it. Since YOU have to do it, since no one will do it for you, you end up learning. Thats not a bad thing.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:23 PM

If I can find good n00b friendly info...

Old 07-19-2008, 03:00 PM

You know, part of releasing a build is responding to bug reports (look up in the build section to see what I mean.) If you're not competent to even put together a build by yourself then how do you plan to respond when people report problems? Sometimes plug-ins and games interact in ways that nobody has forseen, and you need to really know what you're doing to resolve things like this.

Just releasing a build isn't enough. You have to support it, or nobody's going to want to use it. This is not something a n00b is going to get very far in, unless he's willing to put a LOT of sweat and effort into learning what he's doing.

Even if you're not planning to release this publicly, you're still going to run into bugs. Are you going to cry for help when that happens, too?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjb1 View Post

Same here, I kept getting stupid errors, so I gave up
Hope you can do it, Vahkiti!
Sansa e260 Rockbox 4GB + 120 MB

Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If I can find good n00b friendly info...
Vahkiti, I am as "noob" as they come when it comes to C code, compilers, patching, etc. I knew absolutely nothing when I made up my mind to create a personal build. Yet I succeeded in that endeavor, and I did it with no resources other than the pages on the Rockbox site that others here have already pointed you to. I also got some timely help, when I needed it and with regard to SPECIFIC questions and problems, from kind souls here and on the Rockbox site. I have asked some pretty dumb questions but even they got answered.

Everything you need to get started is on those web pages you were referred to. Read carefully and follow the instructions. Like Llorean and others said, when you run into SPECIFIC problems, post questions here or in the development section of the Rockbox forum, and you will get help. You will find that people are very willing to help with SPECIFIC problems. But as others have said, NO ONE is going to do this for you, soup to nuts, with you just sitting there unwilling to try for yourself first.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe565 View Post
Same here, I kept getting stupid errors, so I gave up
Hope you can do it, Vahkiti!
Me too. (finally some support! <_<)

Tags
custom, party, patch, splash screen, stumped