android
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Angry Stripped Paint on P2 16GB (pictures)

Got my P2 a week ago, the 16gb one, bought a refurb unit... so I am SOL here, but still, I figured I would share.

As per the recommendations on these forums, I picked up a Protech full body shield (their very helpful btw). A few days ago, I tried to apply it, but found it fairly difficult. So eventually, I decided, maybe I used too little water, so I went ahead and pulled the Protech cover off (mind you, it wasn't all too sticky yet).

For those of you who are absolutely in love with your P2, these pictures will make you sad .

Not too noticible eh? Lets flip that over.

Yep.

I just about crap'ed myself. I know I bought this refurb, so theres nothing I can do. I contacted Protech, apparently this is the first they have heard of this. Official reseonse:

Quote:
Anthony,

No, I have never heard of paint being removed. That sounds like a defect in the paint job to me. I had a P2 for a while that I used to fit the full body shield with. I probably installed 4 or 5 back pieces and nothing like that happened. What kind of soap did you use?

I wonder if you could take the player back and exchange it for a new one.

I'm really sorry that happened. What a pain!!!
I understand that they are not at fault, but now my Protech cover is useless as the paint is stuck to it. Maybe they will send me a new cover?

Anyways, I am not too happy with this Half an hour ago, I dissasembled the P2 and removed the back cover. What I plan to to next is strip the rest of the paint off, brush the back (to prevent further damage) and maybe do some etching work on it.

I gotta admit though, p2 with a metal back is damn sexy.

Ideas of what to do to the back/ opinions/ 'my p2 also got stripped stories' would be awesome

Last edited by anthonyhong; 08-11-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

what u could do, is: strip the piant, sand it smooth, and paint it watever color u want (or paint a picture on it)!
but if u do some nice etching on it would be super cool too
just rmbr, w.e u do, u HAVE to post pictures=D

Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Idea: If you have the back taken off, strip the paint and wet-sand with 600 grit, work up to 1200, then use metal polish to give the whole thing a mirror-shine.

I would do that with mine, but the paint hasn't started stripping just yet, and I usually keep it in a sleeve clipped to an armband while I run.

Last edited by Raziel; 08-12-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Idea: If you have the back taken off, strip the paint and wet-sand with 600 grit, work up to 1200, then use metal polish to give the whole thing a mirror-shine.

I would do that with mine, but the paint hasn't started stripping just yet, and I usually keep it in a sleeve clipped to an armband while I run.
what and make it look like an ipod? Ha yeah right!

SDK!!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

oh oh!! i just got another idea!!
scrap off half the paint, sand the metal smooth, and on the other half, etch in some sort of pattern extending from the part without paint. then lightly spray the metal, non paint part wioth some black, and it'll kinda look like the metal is slowly taking over the balck parts in that pattern, and itll look pretty cool =D

*sorrry if that didnt make much sense...im pretty exciteed about this..=)

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Haha well I guess I am atleast happy that you guys are excited about this! I get enough puzzled stares with my P2, but now, without any product markings, a whole bunch more people are going to be confused .

I can do a fairly decent job with painting, I dont know about etching though. That, I might get someone else to do. First though, lets talk color . Im second guessing red here. Too much contrast with the black.

Heres what I had in mind, mirror finish grey. Lately, grey has been my color, and plus, when have you ever seen grey used as a main color on modern day electronic equip .

Right now, I have finished stripping the paint, so my p2 is nakkiddd. Left it to sit over night in a plate full of nail polish remover, and oh my god let me tell you I am about to barf. I thought syram wrap would be ok covering the smell, but nope it isnt. I did not want to sand off the paint as the metal is very thin, so every little bit counds here. I will however, sand before I prime it. I have to be strategic here, Ill be without my p2 for the duration of this project .

I dont want it too too glossy because that would just be too hard to keep shiny, so Im feeling 3 coats of grey + clear coat will do.

If you guys have ever wondered whats inside the p2, (partially) disasembled pictures will come.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol NICE! im thnking if your going with gray...go with a gunmetal color, itll look really really cool. and use a matte finish clear coat to make it nonshiny

oh and btw, what r u using to apply the paint? are you gonna use spray cans, or a gun? becuz if u have a gun, you could apply it with some texture, like around the edges to really make it POP.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 AM

Strip the paint and turn the back into a Zune Originals style device.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 AM

same thing happend to me when installing protech, but only a tiny bit

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That SUX!!! But I agree w/the "Going Custom" idea!!! Artwork on the flipside - oh yeah!!!
Please post a pic when you've finished (I've got no artistic talent in this dept.).