android
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Moody Zen Sleek

Ive had my Zen for about two years and it has worked fine till about a month ago when I left the player on and the battery drained all the way. Thinking it was a Memory problem when it didn't turn on i reloaded the firmware and formatted the player and then realized it was only a battery not being charged. As i went to reload all the songs onto the player i would be able to load about 5 and then the player would freeze mid transfer, it was only when i unplugged the player the screen would turn on and the lights of the buttons turned on again and it refreshed the database. Even then the songs that loaded would only play partially or would freeze in the middle of the song. I tried to reformat and reload firmware numerous times but no combination has worked, the problem stays the same i even tried to load songs from different computers with different oses and same problem. Another issue i just came across is when the player in in hold mode and turned on it turns on and the error message "Firmware problem" is displayed. I tried to contact Creative support staff via email but they said the complimentary one year email support is over because i had it for two years so they wont support me...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Make sure you charge the Sleek fully before doing anything, especially reloading the firmware. It sounds like you have a corrupt or incomplete firmware loaded possibly due to low power issues. Once the player is fully charged, boot the Sleek into Recovery Mode and select Format to erase any corrupt files or inconsistencies with the filesystem. Then, again while in Recovery Mode, select the Reload Firmware option to erase the currently (and possible corrupt) firmware so you can connect to the computer to install a new fresh (latest) version. Give that a go and see how that works out.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 11:22 AM

i fully charged the player waited for the little plug to show up in the battery icon and then reloaded the firmware using the loader downloaded from the creative site, but the problem still exists i can load about 5-10 songs and the player will become nonresponsive,where pushing any of the buttons does nothing, but once i unplug the player from the computer or unplug the dock adapter the screen lights up and goes straight the players screen prior to docking.. When the player is plugged into the computer the software also errors in transfer saying it has been interrupted or the player became nonresponsive. Thanks again for the help. by the way this is a Zen Sleek Photo.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you boot into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option first? This is key since it removes the currently (and possibly corrupted) firmware before allowing you to connect it to the computer to reinstall it from the downloaded file. If you do not have any files on the ZSP, then I would do a Format (will erase files if they are on there) before reloading the firmware. This will help correct any filesystem problems it may be having as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried docking to a different computer? USB connectivity problems on a computer can cause the player's filesystem to become corrupt if the connection is repeatedly interrupted during a transfer. It starting to sound like the computer itself can't hold the connection.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That was my thought too, but haven't gotten far enough to really say for sure. Once he can verify a good firmware load, I was going to switch forcus to the computer. However, this statement still bothers me:

Quote:
Another issue i just came across is when the player in in hold mode and turned on it turns on and the error message "Firmware problem" is displayed.
Regardless of computer connectivity issues, it shouldn't be showing this. I am wondering what kind of shape the hard drive is in..... repeated firmware installs and formats that end in firmware error messages and repeated (possible) corrupt file systems.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-05-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM

sorry i have been busy for the past weeks.. yes i tried to reinstall the firmware it did a clean install after i formated the player for good measure, and it works alright, in terms of not getting any error messages. but the problem of the connection dropping while transferring files is still there.. i tried to use another computer to sync files although i got the same problem.. one thing i did notice was when i tried to sync small amounts of songs like 5-10 at a time it works fine but i have to keep copying files 5-10 at a time and after a couple sets it freezes but it gets me many more files than if i went direct trying to copy over a 100, which just freezes after the first like 3..

Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you ever tried a different USB cable or even a different dongle for testing?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM

I don't have another cable to try that but I've tried all the different ports on my computer and that doesn't solve the problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the problem seems to follow the Sleek, the USB cable has been a constant variable with this Sleek, so maybe purchasing/borrowing a new cable is a good idea....

Zen FAQ

Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Do you know of any stores which would carry a cable for the sleek or is it a universal creative cable?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Google is your friend.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Alright ill check it out. Is there anything else that could be an issue besides the cable that we could test out meanwhile? Would opening the player up and do anything inside help or maybe looking at the connections within the player be a good idea?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The sync adapter (dongle) and the USB cable would be what to suspect first (assuming it isn't a firmware or file system issue).

Zen FAQ