android
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Headphone Help ~ Suggestions?

Hi, I've been looking all over the web for the headphones that would best suit me, without much luck. I'm getting a Zen Vision M very soon (within a few days) and would like some good headphones to go with it. I've checked HeadRoom, HeadphoneReviews, all that other good stuff and found that I really like the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pros ~ but they're a little above my budget. I like most headphone styles except full size because I want compactness and portability. I need some decent bass too. My range is anything up to around (give or take five bucks) $120.00. So... any suggestions? I like the idea of the IEM's like the UE super.fi 5 pros and I've looked at their less pricey models but they aren't supposed to be as good. Right now I am currently using Sony Fontopia earbuds (MDR-E828LP) and they sound decent because I haven't really used anything better.

Dan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2006, 11:28 AM

You could get the Sennheiser CX-300 or Creative EP-630. Both are virtually the same. And best prive/value ratio for sub-$100 IEMs, in my opinion.

If you like bass, stay away from Etymotic IEMs.
If you like good sound, stay away from Sony.

You can check out the sticky thread about IEMs: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Altec Lansing iM716.

HD Mode: Clean, clear, accurate. Defined, with great detail and accuracy. Perfect for classical and many types of jazz, among others.

Bass Mode: Great bass presence and body. Still detailed, but much more full-sounding with more prominent tight and punchy bass. Perfect for rock, hip-hop, electronica, and many other genres.

They're seriously second-tier (Etymotic ER4, Shure E4, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, Westone UM2) IEMs for $60-100 less. Best bang-for-buck true IEM, bar none.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

If you like a warm, bassy sound, then the Panasonic HJE70s are great. ($89-ish)

Or you could consider the new Sony EX90 - which has superb fit and stays in the ear really well. ($88?)

Alternatively, you might want to wait and see how the new V-Moda Vibe is in its production form ($101).

At the $50 level I'd agree with the recommendations for the CX300.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Ok, well I've looked at all the suggestions here so far, and the CX-300s seem to be a good choice. The Altec Lansing iM716s look nice, but I couldn't really find out much about them and where I could, the opinions were both good and bad. The cheapest I could find the iM716s for was $105.00 whereas the CX-300s are only 60 bucks. I think I'll go with the CX-300s. Thanks for the help.

~Dan

Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Personally I think the difference between the CX300 and iM716 (or any other high-end IEM, for that matter) is a whole world that easily justifies the price difference. The CX300 doesn't even compare.

I hope you enjoy the CX300 nonetheless, especially considering the iM716 has skyrocketed in price to $160.