android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Arrow Right Need suggestions for a portable & nice headphone...? (mine died on vacation)

My B&O headphones went kaput (right ear died), after 2 years of insane torment, lol. been dragged across streets, dropped, yanked, and yet it never skipped a beat. I know there is better sounding things, but they were built like a tank(!).

I'll be taking them back to the B&O store I got them, as they said it had a 3 yr warrenty. But I'm still on vacation and would like something "fresh" to listen to. I'll just but the B&o on semi-retirement and leave them in my backpack or something...

So I'm looking for another earbud preferably of equal "sound" or better. I might try an In-ear, but I normally out and about with them on constantly, and not hearing "ambient" sound out of an ear is a bit odd for me. (the comfortability isn't a problem for me. I used to have some sony's that were nice, but had to use sony adapters, even for the old ipod nano necklace one...). Durable enough to be accidentally dropped & not lead to instantaneous crying (rarely), shoved in a pocket/backpack with my A-818, and at least last a year or 2.

Budget: $80-120 Less the better, not in mood to spend a lot. so if $50 is enough, so be it!! Rather not get over the head, "street-style" or bud's preferred... Except for maybe Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5, are those small? I mean my V900's are massive by my ear/standards lol. I just like to have one ear off for most of my day... (live life to a soundtrack!)

Auditory Background

Headphones I've liked:
  • Sony V700DJ, but either it's gotten worse over time, or i find it to clouded now... (semi-retired)
  • Sony V900HD, I love the crisp, bright, non-heavy bass of it. (Desk/house headphone)
  • My B&O "Earphones", just sounded great, durable, not sure if 100% the $$$ but, I liked them... Just the right ear got frayed on the end 2 days ago so now don't hear nothing... (Mobile office kit lol, sony A-818, Macbook pro out of house, etc.)

Music I listen too:
  • Rock (nothing really heavy, definetly no metal)
  • Electronica (house, dance, etc.)
  • Alternative
  • Obscure & more varied odd stuff like Enigma, Hot Chip, Zero 7, Yoko Kanno

Thanks in advance!!

Phil

Last edited by philz; 07-31-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philz View Post
Except for maybe Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5, are those small? I mean my V900's are massive by my ear/standards lol. I just like to have one ear off for most of my day... (live life to a soundtrack!)
I would recomend the ATH-SJ5's over the SQ5's. Tried both, and the SQ5's fail with there design, the larger square cups are horrible for isolation. Alot of low to midrange sound leaks through and it can really mess up listening to music. So really bad for the street, or on busses. The SJ5's dont isloate too well either, but they block out sound much more evenly compared to the SQ5's. I like to be able to hear cars and people arround me, when I'm walking near bust streets.

SQ5's are much nicer otherwise, except both are extremely comfortable street cans. SQ5's just are bigger, and they have that cussion on the headband. I could wear both for an entire working day, unlike most other DJ stree cans.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

These may be more to your liking (sound is fantastic): Audio-Technica ATHES7 Portable Headphones Blk
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...7525386&sr=8-1
I have tried them and miss them dearly!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 PM

Hmm thanks for the tidbits on those, still not sure if I want to run around with cans though :P but if I do I think the ATHES7's are nifty, look neat with the mirrored caps . That will be something to get when I get back home (and can use amazon lol). Unless fnac has them... Are the ATHES7 comfortable for hours & wii bit durable?

But any suggestions non-can wise? Thats what I need most for the next month :P Still can't believe they died at beginning of the trip It's troubling to be staring at my A818 and not being able to listen to it or for that matter my mac at night....!

Tags
b&o, headphone, portable headphones, suggestions