android
Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 AM

I own a lot of mix CDs, so I love the .cue file support - it's my primary reason for using rockbox

edit: oh, and the SDHC support is also great, really puts sandisk to shame, the fact that they havent bothered to add this to the OF.

Last edited by Daveybaby; 06-16-2008 at 04:38 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh, just wanted to throw in.......
Zsa Tekie`s playlister
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=3827
and converter tool http://hcware.net/sansa/app/SansePlpRockbox.zip
works great!
It`s like "playlisting for dummies", like me.

Thank you Zsa Tekie for taking the time to build and share!

And once again, thank you all. You guys are awsome!
I`ll love you all forever

gabe.......beeps are annoying
From the manual....Chapter 7-General Settings-Beep Volume-set to "off"........I just know because that`s one of the first things I do with any new device that beeps

Bye Bye -REFRESHING DATABASE- oh how I hated you so
now.....where`s that 8 gig card.........

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

I finally loaded Rockbox about two weeks ago, after having the Sansa 280E for over a year. This thing makes the Sansa worth having now. I bought a 2 Gig micro SDHC card, and loaded a couple movies on it to see if you can play movies from the card. You can. That's what I've been waiting for for a long time. And if it can handle the new 8 GB micros, I can have about 10 full length movies on one chip. Unbelievable! This thing ROCKS!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 AM

Got my e250 for a year now, I rockboxed it the very first day I got it and have never regretted it. This buddy goes with me all over the globe, by now the screen is cracked but hey it's my rockboxed sansa and I always chuckle to myself when I see the bland majority iPodding away on the airplane.
Thank u rockbox for expanding my sansa.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Fuze, and the hardest part will be leaving rockbox behind...

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Zune Moderator

Yep I'm with you there, I transitioned away from rockbox b getting a zune. Bu I never have regretted the upgrade.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 AM

I've had an e250 for 1 1/2 years and just installed RB. I feel like I have a brand new player, a better one.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM

I have owned a 4GB ipod nano 1st gen since the day they came out. Paid $250 for it. I basically loaded 4GB worth of music and never changed it again because I hated iTunes so much. Recently this thing took a dive into a lake. I thought it was dead (it is now back to life), so I researched the latest players and found a 4GB Sansa E250 refurb for $45. I also bought an 8GB microSD.

I put Rockbox on it the second I opened the box. I think Rockbox and the Sansa are great. Couldn't ask for much more in the way of features. The software does it all. I didn't know what I was missing with the iPod. I just accepted its limitations. All I ever did was play it on 'shuffle mode'. No playlists. I make playlists all the time using Rockbox. I really like that feature.

I also use this little portable speaker a lot. It's not the loudest in the world, but it's small and has a caribiner clip and also serves as a case. The ipod has a bunch of EQ settings. One is 'small speakers'. They make the speaker play a little louder. Well with rockbox I am able to tweak the EQ settings and make my own preset. I have one called 'box' that I use for this speaker and it pushes it to get maximum sound. Exactly what I needed.

Rockbox has so many customizable settings. I can set it up to be exactly how I want it.

Also I'm a programmer by trade, and I'm already thinking of ways I can tweak the software even more to my liking. For instance, I think there should be a 'clear playlist' option. Now I can add that in if I'm feeling ambitious.

Anyways, Rockbox is great. So much better than using the proprietary software that comes on these players. I liken the iPod firmware on my nano to an NES, and my Rockbox'd Sansa is like an Xbox 360 as far as features go.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatiusreilly View Post
I think there should be a 'clear playlist' option. Now I can add that in if I'm feeling ambitious.
I am finding it hard to make a custom playlist... RB definitly needs one.Is it possible to make one on the e260 (RB) Thanks

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'custom playlist', but you can make your own playlists using rockbox. It took me a while to figure it out. Frustrating at first, but the key is the center button. If you hold it in at different times, you will get all new menus of options (the most useful options I might add). Like hold it in on a folder and you will get a menu and one option will be playlist where you can recursively add all songs in the folder to the playlist. Keep going around your folders adding songs in this manner until you get the playlist you like, then you can save it and name it however you like.

Does that help?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:34 AM

Default Just Do It!

Ok...like some of the others here, I debated and delayed 'RockBoxing' my e260 for over a year now. I wasn't sure I could do it without screwing something up and my player has been working...albeit with the same slow response time and low features everyone complains about. This thread convinced me to give it a shot and this morning I used the rockbox utility program linked to in another thread....which made it oh so easy, even for a 36y.o. guy who has only basic computer skills.

Here's what I'm really digging so far:
1. A working EQ that doesn't cut out one channel and was able to perfectly dial in my sound
2. MUCH, MUCH faster access times!! I was expecting it, but not THIS fast.
3. more intuitive and user friendly navigation
4. better randomizing...I haven't heard the same song twice yet [though its only been one day...its still unusual for my player]
5. Video GAMES like the Ipods have
6. Large variety of themes that are super easy to install with the utility tool
7. Increased support of Micro SDHC cards....gonna order an 8gb soon.

I'm sure there is much more, but I just started learning.

Now I need to learn how to redo my playlists...is there a playlist editor where I can drag and drop files? I got my other one for the OF here somewhere.

One Negative: Not playing from both drives...are they working on that fix? If not, my plan is to buy the 8gb card and transfer all music to it, and save the main drive for photos/video...which I've never had room for before.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Rockbox Developer

Just in response to 2), Rockbox "shuffles" rather than doing "random" so if your playlist has 500 songs, you will never hear a repeat until 500 songs have played. Then you'll hear one repeat of each song (possibly in a different order if you've set it to shuffle on repeat) before you heard a second repeat of any song, and so on.

It's like shuffling a deck of cards. No matter how many you draw from the top you won't see a repeat until you shuffle the discard pile back in.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
Just in response to 2), Rockbox "shuffles" rather than doing "random" so if your playlist has 500 songs, you will never hear a repeat until 500 songs have played. Then you'll hear one repeat of each song (possibly in a different order if you've set it to shuffle on repeat) before you heard a second repeat of any song, and so on.

It's like shuffling a deck of cards. No matter how many you draw from the top you won't see a repeat until you shuffle the discard pile back in.
Awesome....I KNOW in over a year of playing with my e260, there are some songs in my library that I never heard. It got to the point that I'd leave it playing on mute and plug it in to my AC charger just to work deeper into the random play list next time I used it.

Another reason to love rockbox....SLEEP TIMER.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
Ok...like some of the others here, I debated and delayed 'RockBoxing' my e260 for over a year now. I wasn't sure I could do it without screwing something up and my player has been working...albeit with the same slow response time and low features everyone complains about. This thread convinced me to give it a shot and this morning I used the rockbox utility program linked to in another thread....which made it oh so easy, even for a 36y.o. guy who has only basic computer skills.

Here's what I'm really digging so far:
1. A working EQ that doesn't cut out one channel and was able to perfectly dial in my sound
2. MUCH, MUCH faster access times!! I was expecting it, but not THIS fast.
3. more intuitive and user friendly navigation
4. better randomizing...I haven't heard the same song twice yet [though its only been one day...its still unusual for my player]
5. Video GAMES like the Ipods have
6. Large variety of themes that are super easy to install with the utility tool
7. Increased support of Micro SDHC cards....gonna order an 8gb soon.

I'm sure there is much more, but I just started learning.

Now I need to learn how to redo my playlists...is there a playlist editor where I can drag and drop files? I got my other one for the OF here somewhere.

One Negative: Not playing from both drives...are they working on that fix? If not, my plan is to buy the 8gb card and transfer all music to it, and save the main drive for photos/video...which I've never had room for before.
I believe it will work from both drives, if you create a playlist from the sansa player. I could be wrong.