android
Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Default 16GB D2 colors.

Just a quick question. I've only found black 16GB D2's. Am I correct in assuming that is the only color for the 16GB model?
Makes my color decision a bit easier if it is. lol

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM

As far as I know you are right, the 16gb is only available in black. However, i would be suprised if it didn't show up in other colours eventually. Just not yet....

Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nope, only black and that's it!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM

well at least now I don't have to debate what color I'm getting. I want to get as much memory as I can so 16GB model it is. And I don't think waiting will avail to anything at this point as I don't feel any severe price cuts are in the relatively near future and a D2 replacement feels a whiles off.

I'm probably going to just pull the trigger on a 16GB D2, as well as a noreve case (not sure what color yet). Going to hold off on the extra SDHC card for right now, but probably end up with a 32GB one down the line.

Only thing I have to figure out now is what headphones I want. I've always used supra-aural phones (closed and open). I see a lot of interest (especially on this site) in IEM's. I'm thinking about perhaps picking up a pair for portability and for a more stealthy/hidden appearance. I'd like to stay in the $100 range. I've done some research but I can't seem to correlate what I know about sound to descriptions of IEM's.

I probably should ask this in the headphone section but I'll give it a shot here as well. I favor anything from a neutral to warm sound. For those somewhat into stereo systems, think B&W (although they can be a bit TO warm). I like good clarity and definition to my sound. Also I find soundstage a big deal with headphones and hate narrow sound. I'm not a huge bass junky, but a good punchy bass is always a nice addition. My music tastes are very wide. Classical, rock (not much of the new stuff though), alternative, country, movie soundtracks.....really anything I think sounds good.

Anyone willing to advise I'm all ears. Feel free to also sell me on why I should spend my money on IEM's instead of a supra-aural.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 PM

A good supra-aural can is almost always better than an IEM.

My Ultrasone HFI-780 beats each and every IEM I own or have heard. Well, I have UE11 on order, so let's see how that goes...

Since warm usually means bassy, some of the contenders are the Atrio, SE530, Mylarone X3i - as they also retain a good amount of clarity. Their soundstage is also fine for IEM standards.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

My Ultrasone HFI-780 beats each and every IEM I own or have heard. Well, I have UE11 on order, so let's see how that goes...

Since warm usually means bassy, some of the contenders are the Atrio, SE530, Mylarone X3i - as they also retain a good amount of clarity. Their soundstage is also fine for IEM standards.
Thanks for the input!

I think my main issue is I might be expecting to much from an IEM and losing sight of the reason for them, isolation and portability. I'd still have some supra-aural's to use at home, when not on the go. I think my main concern is that IEM's will be to much of a sacrifice for me, but I'm hoping that they will remain within reason of what I'm use to. And I think if I can learn to appreciate them for what they are and can do I should be ok.

Also I think I might be misleading in my explanation. Without getting to long winded, let me give a better explanation in order of importance. I'll use terms that have clear definitions this time, that can be found HERE.

1.) Smooth
2.) Transparent
3.) Presence/Clarity
4.) Spacious

I usually tend to say warm because, from the forums I frequent, it is used a lot to define the opposite of what I hate...what we refer to as bright (harsh/piercing/etc.). For instance I dislike almost all horn loaded speakers as I find them to bright and fatiguing. I also find, to me, that bright speakers tend to go along with being thin which I also dislike. I don't know, but I think warm might have been the wrong word and I'm just in the habit of using it, lol. I certainly don't want anything boomy or bassy. Is this clearer and would this change your recommendations?

I know things like this are difficult as one persons harsh/bright, is another persons sweet spot. It's all relative to the person i guess.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

Very tempting to reply

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Just saw this info over at iAudiophile. The 16GB D2 just dropped $30 bucks! It's now $209 with free super saver shipping. I'm going to place my order RIGHT NOW! But I'm paying the extra $20 to get it on Monday.