android
Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Unhappy Annoying glitch

I just discovered that when I create a "Now Playing" list, some of the songs on the list cannot be selected using the touch pad. One song title also appears as letters with the bottoms cut off and lower than where they originally show. I can't select the song below that one, either. Also the songs between the title that appears cut off and the one before don't show up on the list.

These songs can only be selected by selecting a song before them and skipping ahead to them, but I feel that this may be an inconvenience to me.

Some background: I accidentally dropped my Creative Zen Sleek Photo with 20GB on the floor a few times and I wonder if that would have anything to do with this glitch.

Can I have some help with this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
ABI Invaluable

By any chance, can you attach a photo of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what is going on here.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 PM

Here's a picture.

100e0233.jpg

Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 AM
ABI Invaluable

Wow, that's a strange one!

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest trying to reload the firmware. This seems to be an OS glitch, so reloading the firmware should fix it.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM

Firmware?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF90 View Post
Firmware?
Basically, the operating system that runs in the player and makes it work. Think of it as for your MP3 player what Windows is for your computer. If your Windows installation gets corrupted, your computer will start acting funny and not work as it should. Same for your MP3 player.

Unfortunately, I can no longer find Zen Sleek software on Creative's site. However, I was able to locate a PlaysForSure (PFS) firmware version for the Sleek - Version 2.01.03. You can find it here. Hopefully this will help you. If not, you can try the Creative Recovery Tool on Creative's site, but - otherwise - trying to find the older, non-PFS firmware for the Sleek (and not the Sleek Photo) is going to be tough.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can no longer find Zen Sleek software on Creative's site. However, I was able to locate a PlaysForSure (PFS) firmware version for the Sleek - Version 2.01.03.
Yeah, Creative only seems to have the PlaysForSure firmware for the Sleek. See here (Select the ZEN in the first section, then the Zen Sleek from the second section, then select the Next button). That should take you to the main Zen Sleek download page. The Sleeks firmware section won't show until you change the bottom "Manual Selection" from "Windows Visat 64-bit" to "Windows XP" and then select the Select button (I don't know why they default to Vista 64bit ???). When the page refreshes, you should now see the Firmware section with the 2.01.03 version you can download (along with all of the other Sleek related software).

Quote:
If not, you can try the Creative Recovery Tool on Creative's site
I don't believe the Zen Sleek will work with Creative's Recovery Tool. It isn't listed on the list of supported players.

Quote:
trying to find the older, non-PFS firmware for the Sleek (and not the Sleek Photo) is going to be tough.
Hard indeed. I believe Creative removed the non-PlaysForSure firmware from all of their sites a couple of years ago. They wanted to have the Sleek as mainly a PFS device. I think they even began selling/shipping it with the PFS firmware only as well. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Quote:
Firmware?
you can find out hat firmware version by going to System -> Information.

Quote:
Here's a picture.
In addition to what ZenChick mentions with reloading the firmware, since you had dropped the Sleek, have you considered opening it up to see if it is just a loose connection with the display?

Take a look at this thread for instructions on how to take the Zen Sleek apart and reseat the display plug/connector. As well as this post on reseating the screen connection.

On the note of dropping...... I've actually seen issues similar to this when there were problems within the display or even a break or loose solder point around the SoC (System on Chip) which seemed to effect the DCP (Digital Content Processor).

Anyway, good luck and welcome to ABI KF90!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah, Creative only seems to have the PlaysForSure firmware for the Sleek. See here (Select the ZEN in the first section, then the Zen Sleek from the second section, then select the Next button). That should take you to the main Zen Sleek download page.
Thanks for that. Creative has redesigned their support pages, and I just couldn't figure out how to bring up that more-familiar listing. Guess I didn't see that little "click here for others" blurb down at the bottom...

Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Yeah, I have no idea why in the hell they would do that. I can understand using the pictures like now, but not hiding the selectable menu. I also wish they would change their default selection to WinXP when bringing up the downloads page for any device.

Zen FAQ

Tags
broken, bug, glitch, troubleshooting