android
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 AM

Default Several questions from a prospective buyer

I am seriously thinking of getting a D2. (I started a thread asking for advice in the "Compare" forum for anyone interested.) The reviews on this site are thorough, but there are still things I need clarified -- maybe you can help.

1. I will have the player in a jacket or briefcase pocket while commuting. Can the D2 be paused and the volume changed easily without having to look at the screen? Can it be done with one hand? The touch screen aspect scares me off a little for this reason.
  2. What exactly do I need to get line-in audio recording? It seems all that is required is a $6 converter to get a 1/8" stereo jack -- is this correct?
  3. Another aspect that scares me off is that the recordings the D2 makes are in WMA -- not exactly an industry standard. Are there convenient ways to manipulate WMA (cut and paste, etc.) without converting to other formats? Do you think the D2 ever be able to record to MP3 or OGG through a firmware patch?
  4. Can playback speed be changed? (I need this feature for transcribing jazz songs)
Thanks for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 AM

1. It can be QUITE easilly changed. You can assign pause/volume functions to the tactile buttons of the d2.
2. This is correct.
3. The COWON D2 will be able to record in mp3 format when ROCKBOX ( http://www.rockbox.org ) will be fully ported to te device. For no it does only wma. I dont know much about wma manipulating, but I am sure it can be converted to mp3.
4. Yes, the playback speed can be changed.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 PM

OK, thanks. I had heard of Rockbox but didn't know exactly what it is. It's encouraging to hear that I can change the volume on the D2 without using the touch-screen (and having to take the player out of my pocket).

Can anyone who has used the line-in audio recording extensively comment on the sound quality? Can the recording signal level be set in the D2?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It will be quite a while before Rockbox will be able to be properly used w/the D2, so if the current features aren't suitable for your needs, look elsewhere. Otherwise, seeing (or in this case hearing) is believing. Try it out and you'll never think about media players the same again.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM

The WMA issue isn't a huge deal -- I can convert to MP3 later if needed -- as long as the recording quality is good. Can I choose the bit-rate / compression and recording level or does the D2 do this for me?

My main concern really was having to take the player out of my pocket, activate the touch screen, etc. just to do basic things like lower and raise the volume and skip a track. If actual buttons do that (which I can reach without taking the player out of a pocket) then I'm pretty much sold.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Buttons can exactly do that.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
My main concern really was having to take the player out of my pocket, activate the touch screen, etc. just to do basic things like lower and raise the volume and skip a track. If actual buttons do that (which I can reach without taking the player out of a pocket) then I'm pretty much sold.
I have mine set to do exactly that - so, start shopping !!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Pfft... I dont even take it out of my pocket. I just tap the button through my pocket. I dont even have to take it out when I start it up, I just hit MENU once then turn on hold and hit MENU again; Navigate to last menu open (music, always =D) and play file, respectively.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Pfft... I dont even take it out of my pocket. I just tap the button through my pocket. I dont even have to take it out when I start it up, I just hit MENU once then turn on hold and hit MENU again; Navigate to last menu open (music, always =D) and play file, respectively.
SHOWOFF!!!