android
Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Default USB Port seems to have fried Sleek - fixable?

Please can you help? I was actually donated the Zen Sleek 20gb mp3 player by my brother only tonight (he has had it for a couple of years and has since got a new player) - and it's broken already. I'm so annoyed and sad!

It was my first mp3 player and I was very excited and pleased. I listened to it at his house and again when I got home. It was working fine. He even charged it up a little for me.

I connected it to the USB port on my PC to see if I could get it recognised as a device and start to load music on to it. I have used the USB ports on my PC before with no problems.

As soon as I connected it there was a white flash behind the buttons on the front, it turned off immediately. A burning smell then came from the port at the bottom.

I disconnected it from the USB port and now it doesn't work at all. It won't power on.

I plugged in the power supply at a different socket and the only thing that happens is the little button at the top glows blue, like there is power to the device.

But the screen doesn't light up, and it doesn't power on. It seems totally broken. I tried a pin in the hole at the bottom, no joy either....

Please help if you can. Talk about bad luck!!!

Regards,
Kurt Paul

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 AM

Here's the reply I got from Creative. It wasn't wet, so the advice doesn't help. Seems like they can't help anyway...

Dear Mr Paul,

Thank you for contacting us at Creative Technical Support, we appreciate
the opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you are having a problem with your Zen Sleek in which
it will no longer turn on after you plugged it to your computer and it
seems that there was a burning smell after that.

I apologize for any inconveniences this issue is causing you.

When you plugged in the player, did you check if it was wet or any
liquid between the contacts? Actually the Zen Sleek is an EOL unit which
means, Creative has already stopped manufacturing these models.
Unfortunately, there is no longer any available spare parts to replace
the compenents of this player. Also, for all Creative MP3 players, they
all have the standard limtied warranty of 1 year so Im afraid that the
player is already out of warranty.

Again, I apologize for the issues you are having on yourZen Sleek.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I connected it to the USB port on my PC to see if I could get it recognised as a device and start to load music on to it. I have used the USB ports on my PC before with no problems.
As long as no extension cable or powered hub sits in between.... have you used the exact same port before with no problem from other devices; the ports on the back of the computer (integrated onto the motherboard) or additional ports (front of the case)? The reason I am asking is because I have seen to where the additional USB ports (front of case) were not wired correctly and caused a similar issue as yours. The safest solution is using the ports on the back of the computer which are built-in and do not allow for any miss-wiring during installation. At the same time, it is possible that the built-in USB port is damaged and may be applying the power incorrectly or even shorting out. Perhaps when the cable was inserted, it shorted out somewhere on the case at the same time. Have you tried any other devices on the same USB port since this has happened?

At this point, it may be beneficial to open up the Sleek to take a look and see if there is anything noticeably ruined. Hopefully, the battery was the only thing that was damaged and replacing it may be able to bring it back to life. Only one way to really find out....

This disassembly thread should be able to walk you through it.<o></o>

Zen FAQ

Old 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It was indeed a USB port on the front of the case. There are two extra ports there and the only other devices I've plugged into them have been the small portable key drives which friends have loaned to me. No problems.

I've not tried any other devices since the Zen was fried as I simply don't have any. Not sure if they're now unusable. In future I'll be using the ones built in at the back, thanks for the tip.

I suppose I may as well open the player up to see if the damage is noticably in one area, not that I'm any good at these sorts of things! I'm sure that guide you've linked me to will come in handy.

Thanks again,
Kurt Paul

Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I've plugged into them have been the small portable key drives which friends have loaned to me. No problems.
USB flash drives use much less power (most less then 100ma) than what a DAP can pull from the USB bus for charging (full 500ma for charging after enumeration and no other connected devices). The USB port can very well still be good and the fault is within the Sleek (battery, charging circuit, diode, etc...).

Quote:
In future I'll be using the ones built in at the back, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
I suppose I may as well open the player up to see if the damage is noticably in one area, not that I'm any good at these sorts of things! I'm sure that guide you've linked me to will come in handy.
If it is "fried" as you say, it may very well be real noticable. Good luck and please lets us know how it goes.

Quote:
Thanks again
No problem. Welcome to ABI Kurt Paul!

Zen FAQ