android
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Default New d2 owner

So I just purchased a new 16gb d2 and it arrived today and I just had a few simple questions. What is the difference between mtp and msc mode? I use rhapsody 2go so I gather that for subscription services the player has to be in mtp mode; is this correct? Furthermore I guess this means that I can only use the 2.xx firmware updates and not the 3.xx ones which means I cant get the flash backgrounds or something like that; is this correct? I had a creative vision m, before the screen cracked, and with that player you could transfer pictures to the player and set pics as your wallpaper, can I do this with the d2? I think thats it for the questions.

I must say that Im very impressed with the player which I bought based soley on the overwhelmingly positive reception it gets here. I would have never considered getting it were it not for this site. I was really surprised that it was only marginally bigger then my zen v plus which is the player ive used for the last year or so. One more question; the screen broke on two of my Zen Vision Ms from basically just having them in my pocket. How sturdy is the d2 screen from just having it in your pocket? Also is it workout friendly. I was intending to just keep using my zen v plus for the gym but the d2 turned out to be alot smaller then I thought it would be; Is it okay to workout and run with one or is the screen to delicate for that?

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks for helping me pick a new mp3 player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM

in response to your three questions i will try and answer what parts i can i am not fully up to speed in the D2 technical side of things.

mtp mode i think lets you set up playlists
msc lets you drag and drop files on the D2

i cant answer firmware question as i am using 4.xxx for uk

the wallpaper yes you can choose your own

put a picture in your picture folder

go to menu , picture, then click on your picture and in the bottom left hand click on photo view and you get option menu come up
wallpaper or slideshow -- choose wallpaper and your picture now becomes your background

it seems in start up D2 will still have its blue background colour then once the firmware is ready it displays your wallpaper background

hopefully some other people can add a bit more information regarding mtp and msc and firmware to help you out

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks for your help. I actually figured out the answer to all of my questions (except durability) by just messing around with it. The only reason I even posted was because when I first hooked it up, Rhapsody wasnt allowing me to transfer my tracks and it was saying that the device wasnt a subscription device. I did a google search and found out it has to be in mtp mode but I posted here just for clarifications on the two modes.

If anyone can speak on the durability of the screen while the players in your pocket I would be most appreciative. I understand that a touch screen can only be so durable but I would hate to take it out of my pocket one day only to see the black ink blot of death on my screen like what happened with two of my zen vision ms. I mean its not like Im playing rugby or tackle football with the thing in my pocket so I dont think its to much to ask that the screen not burst just from being in my pocket.

It seems from the design of the thing that could have easily have designed a snug little plastic lid that you could snap over the screen so that pressure couldnt be applied to it. With the ability to switch tracks with the tactile buttons while the lock button is engaged, you dont really need to have the screen exposed all the time, so a plastic lid would have been perfect.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 PM

Its pretty durable but I would just use an armband instead of putting it in your pocket. I hear ya though, putting it in the pocket is alot more convenient. I would say the screen is pretty durable though but I use a screen protector that only cost $2 from dealextreme. Well worth the money to keep the scratches off. Plus I use a Noreve case.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Glad you found most of your answers. You'll be pleased with the little critter for a long while.

As for the screen, I'm on my second D2 because of the screen. From general pocket use you'll be fine. If you do crack your screen (but not the rest of the player), you can send it in and have it repaired for a fraction of what a new player will cost you (~$50, if I recall). Since it requires two clicks of the touchscreen to start music playback, you'll have a difficult time doing much with it in the event of a cracked screen.

Steer clear of keeping metal tools in the same pocket as the D2 (you know, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc), and avoid leaving the D2 in jacket and pants pockets where the player might be forgotten about and abused.

Most importantly, do not keep the player in a hip pocket when doing an activity that might include falling. Mine died when I hit some rough terrain while biking, and my D2 cushioned the impact for my hip. O.O In such circumstances, armbands and back pockets are a much safer choice.

The only strike I can give against the D2 for workouts is its thickness. As much as I dislike Apple's players, the Nanos are quite impressive with respect to their lack of pocket bulge. I'm glad the D2 wasn't too thick for you.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Yeah, ive been using it in the gym and so far so good but I might just get an armband anyway. Its really not much thicker then my zen v plus; probably a mm or so. Overall its really alot smaller than I was expecting. But yeah this player is really incredible. Im very impressed with it.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The armband for the ipod nano 3g is supposed to fit great on the D2 - I need to get 1 myself. Amazon has it for $9.66: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neopren...4781830&sr=8-4

Old 06-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Hey, nywytboy68, if you get that armband I would really appreciate it if you could post results.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Hey, nywytboy68, if you get that armband I would really appreciate it if you could post results.
I'm a little slow w/it but 1 of the guys on iAudiophile has it, here's a pic: