android
Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Strange Behavior

My Zen Sleek is 3 years old but has not really been used too much until this past year. About two weeks ago this weird thing started happening, when I'd pust the buttons on the front, they would light up but kind of flicker, and while they were flickering I could hear static in sync with the flicker. The battery would charge normally and when the buttons were not lit up everything sounded and worked fine. Now yesterday the flickering stopped and the player worked fine, today all seemed good... UNTIL I went to turn it off, realized I had locked the buttons so I slid the lock to the off position and BOOM the lights flickered and the whole screen went blank, strange though THE POWER IS ON, the light on the power button is lit, the front buttons are dark, but the power seems to be ON. No change if I plug the charger into the AC or into the USB on the computer. I tried pushing the reset and no change.

Any chance that it is just a dead battery? If the battery is dead why would the light on top be on like the power is on? I could change the battery but hate to buy a 30 dollar battery and then have to throw the damn player out!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI. Before trying a new battery, try leaving it plugged in with the AC adapter for a while (maybe overnight) and see if it eventually comes back on by itself or a reset.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, this is what I think is going on: When the buttons light up, they are drawing more power than the battery can provide, which causes the player to go haywire.

Out of curiosity, how long can the player run on battery power as long as the lights aren't turned on?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That is what I'm thinking too, but haven't gotten there yet with them.

Yeah, this is typical with batteries with high impedance levels. A battery with a high internal resistance can fail when put under a heavy current/load. Even though the battery may show a good charge, the voltage drops to or below the cut-off level and can show as a low battery or power off. This can easily trigger the low voltage protection circuit which can be problematic when attempting to charge or even prevent a re-charge altogether.

Quote:
If the battery is dead why would the light on top be on like the power is on?
This can light up because it indicates/detects power to the unit, but not necessarily passing it on or charging the battery.

Quote:
No change if I plug the charger into the AC
The Zen could be experiencing more severe power related problems besides the battery; perhaps within the mainboard. If so, most likely a new/replacement mainboard will be needed to repair. The best way to find out is to try another battery.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.