android
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM

Default Question about the D2's video functionality.

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a D2 soon and i'm kind of new to all this. I had a question when reading the review about it on the main site. I am particularly impressed with the D2's video capabilities, but I read here:

Quote:
Supported video codecs are MPEG4 Simple Profile (XviD, DivX, and others) and WMV3, also known as Windows Media Video 9 (to make things a bit more confusing). The D2 only eats videos at a screen size of 320 x 240 pixels, which is a shame. Official specs show that the D2 is able to play MPEG4 videos at an utterly insane bitrate of 2000kb/s. Usually 500 to 700kb/s is more than enough for a screen size this small. This makes me wonder if the D2's hardware would actually be strong enough to play 640 x 480 movies, and if the need to convert any video to 320 x 240 is only a limitation by the firmware and not the chipset. The TV-output would benefit immensely from a bigger video size.
Just to put it in layman's terms, say if I have a video thats 1024x768 in avi format, and just put it in the D2, will it play it downscaled or something? Based on the above bolded part, I am thinking that I MUST convert to the appropriate resolution to play any video. Am I getting this right?

If so, is there a guide/link or if you can recommend me a program that can achieve this?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Videos for the D2 must be in 320 x 240. The D2 will not play higher resolution videos.
I use the jetaudio video converter but there are many others you can use - Link

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCVC View Post
Videos for the D2 must be in 320 x 240. it will not downscale higher resolution videos.
I use the jetaudio video converter but there are many others you can use - Link
I agree 100% and also use the JetAudio Video Converter myself.