android
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 AM

Default How are MP3 files organized when put in the "Audiobooks" folder?

I just upgraded my Sansa Clip to Firmware 1.01.29a (Thanks, EnzoTen). I have mp3 files that I ripped from the Harry Potter Audio CDs put into the "Audiobooks" folder of my Sansa Clip. However, the order of the tracks are completely off when I try to access them on the player itself. What I have figured out is that the Sansa Clip is not taking into account the Disc# of the ID3 tag. The only difference between all of my MP3 audio files are Title, Disc#, and Track#. Below are (hopefully) relevant information:

Player: 2GB Sansa Clip
Syncing Program: MediaMonkey (version 3.0.2.1134)
Synchonized tracks to: Audiobook/<album>

ID3 Information (as set in MediaMonkey)
Store MP3 file property using: ID3v1 and v2 tags
ID3v2 text encoding: ASCII + UTF-16 (when needed)

File#1
Disc#: 1
Track#: 1
Title: Chapter 01A The Boy Who Lived

File#2
Disc#:1
Track#: 2
Title: Chapter 01B The Boy Who Lived

File#3
Disc#: 2
Track#: 1
Title: Chapter 03H The Letters From No One

I expect to see:
File#1
File#2
File#3

What I see instead is:
File#1
File#3
File#2

Looks like the files are being organized by track# first.

After all this background information, my question is...how are MP3 files organized when put in the "Audiobooks" folder?

I appreciate any time anybody can give to help me with this. I hope that I have given enough information about my setup.</album>

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Yes, it seems to ignore the Disc tag which I'm not even sure is part of the id3 standard.
My solution was to tag files like
Title: "Disc 1, Track 1" etc
Tracknumber: from 1 to N, where N=number of discs*number of tracks per disc.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Or simply, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, ... , 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, ... ?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you guys know of a program that does mass incremental rewriting of ID3 tags? I like to retain the title, so I think I will just rename all the tracks to go from 1 to N. That way, I only have to change one tag value. The less work the better, I say.

Again, much thanks to you both.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 PM

I just did the same thing, ripped Harry Potter. Used Mp3Tag to rename each file 001, 002, 003, renamed each title the same, 001, 002, 003 and same with track.
there is a icon in the menu to automatically rename the track numbers incremently 01, 02 etc. I also asked mp3tag to make a playlist. for all the files in the folder.
I then copied all the files at once to the audiobook folder on the Sansa, and they all showed up in order, 01, 02, 03. I'm not sure if its sorting on title number or track number, or the playlist made the difference. In the past I have to drag and copy each single mp3 file in order to the player to make sure it would play in that order.
If I dragged all the files over, some didn't copy in the same order which messed things up. But then I didn't have a playlist file, so I'm thinking the playlist is the one thing that Sansa is using to organize the order the files play.
A program called The Godfather, also can be used to rename files, and re-tag files
and batch increment by number any column, but only 01, 02, etc, but not 001, 002, 003 which I prefer if I have more then 100 files.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Quick note for Linux users on this subject. Amarok will do the ID3 cleanup very efficiently for audio books (and music for that matter). Just use the basic tags and the "per track" functionality if you have ripped your file names in a meaningful way.

gl The Box

ps Important note: When using MSC USB mode under Linux to make your audio books or podcasts show up under the correct entry in the Sansa Clip interface you must change your ID3 Genre tag to either Audiobook or Podcast respectively.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

I've done this three ways:

1) Named the individual CD sequentially, so "Harry Potter Disc 01", "Harry Potter Disc 02", etc. Then the CD tracks are by CD not whole book, and there is no problem. You have to load all CDs when playing back, though, so I no longer do it that way.

2) Like sschardi described, rip all the CDs then pull them into MP3tag and use the renumber tool to sequentially number all the files in one big string, 001-278 or whatever.

3) When ripping using EAC, I do a shift-del to delete the database ID3 information and let it name the files. I use the prefix "D01T" and it fills in the last two digits so you get D01T01-D01T15 on a CD, then CD 2 is "D02T", etc. If chapter names don't matter or aren't in the freedb consistently this just works.