android
Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Help D2 start up time and 16/32 GB SDHC cards

I am to buy a D2 soon and was wondering if anybody can tell me how long does it take the D2 to switch on and start playing where it left.

I have and old Sansa E160 that could take almost 30 sec to get ready to play when having a 2GB SD card fully loaded. The start time was influenced by the number of tracks stored on the SD card.

I have seen the same problem on a Garmin Nuvi 660 car navigator with built in MP3 player: it takes more than 1 minute to get ready to play after power on when using a fully loaded 4GB SD card.

Does anybody tried a 32GB card on the D2? is there a difference when using a 16GB card?

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-15-2008, 05:43 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here, as I have no personal experience with a D2 that has an SD card inserted (I know, I know... I'll get one soon ). But if it's anything like my Sansa, it might take long the first time you boot after you add new tracks to the SD card. If you don't add anymore it should go pretty fast.

So in short. After you add files -> longer boot
Boot with no added media -> faster boot

Old 06-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr13zehn View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here, as I have no personal experience with a D2 that has an SD card inserted (I know, I know... I'll get one soon ). But if it's anything like my Sansa, it might take long the first time you boot after you add new tracks to the SD card. If you don't add anymore it should go pretty fast.

So in short. After you add files -> longer boot
Boot with no added media -> faster boot
QFT, although it does take longer with fully loaded card and player. If you use the panasonic SD formater (search the forum) it should help keep the boot time down

Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My 8gb D2 with a full library of videos on the internal memory and the 16gb sd card full of music (a few mbs left) takes no more then 7secs MAX to start. After a sync it takes about a min but it's ONLY after a sync. It's busy updating the library so thats a slower process (still only about a min like I said). Very fast for startup even after sitting a few days - same 7secs. And from what I understand Sansa's are SLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
And from what I understand Sansa's are SLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!
I can honestly say that I've had no problems with my E260 being slow on a regular boot up. It's always quite swift. Now after adding new files, it takes a bit longer, but other than that it's quite fast.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
... After a sync it takes about a min but it's ONLY after a sync.
Many thanks for the info!.

Question: When you say "sync", that includes the writing of new files in the card or player, or some other operation? If the card is removed and re-inserted, does the player re-build the library? I wonder how the player knows when something changed without doing a full scan of the card...

Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsin View Post
Many thanks for the info!.

Question: When you say "sync", that includes the writing of new files in the card or player, or some other operation? If the card is removed and re-inserted, does the player re-build the library? I wonder how the player knows when something changed without doing a full scan of the card...
Sync is the adding or removing of files, either by media management software (WMP11, MediaMonkey, or my fave - J.River Media Jukebox), or drag & drop into the player. Now, the sd card is hot-swappable so you can remove or replace it while the player is on or off. And yes, it will rebuild the library at that point (all players have to I believe). And, personally, I believe they player is PSYCHIC so it reads our minds and KNOWS what we like (thats why it the BEST - IMO!!!) .