android
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Are Sony Mp3 Players any good?

hmm so are the players any good compared to sandisk and cowon's ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM

I can assure you that the actual models are better than sandisk mp3's and they can be considered as a SQ enemy of Cowon's. The battery life of these players together with the construction and the screen result in a beautiful player that is worth considering.

Last edited by emfa; 11-07-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 PM

Not to mention Sony ditched their abysmal SonicStage software - which was the only reasonable step they could have taken.

(Nevertheless, Cowon still got BBE enhancements on their players... score one for them. )

Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Sony's are good, my sister has one, and it has sound enhancements and a equilizer with SRS bass.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM

I can't wait to snag mine this weekend.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Yes they are great players. And worth the price.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:51 PM
General Audio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
(Nevertheless, Cowon still got BBE enhancements on their players... score one for them. )
the s615 and other new sony players have DSEE which works along the lines as DSP manipulation like BBE. DSEE seems to work on the lines of envelope transform to minimize envelope distortion kind of like some technologies in ATRAC but given the dsp is many times more advanced than the ones in previous Sony players it works far better. But yeah that said, it is impossible to remove all envelope distortion without hindering the music somehow.

Either way the s615 is probably the best bang for the buck, sine i haven't heard the new t400 from Toshiba yet.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 AM

I picked one up and this little bugger is amazing! I can't keep my hands off it. I take it everywhere!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Not to mention Sony ditched their abysmal SonicStage software - which was the only reasonable step they could have taken.
Interesting, I didn't know that they ditched that piece of crap. However, I still wouldn't buy a Sony player these days. They have turned into a very strange company with their "contents" division always limiting what their "consumer electronics" division can do- not a very good way to innovate.

Charles

Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Since Sony is ditching SonicStage, I would say they are good DAP.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that they ditched that piece of crap. However, I still wouldn't buy a Sony player these days. They have turned into a very strange company with their "contents" division always limiting what their "consumer electronics" division can do- not a very good way to innovate.

Charles
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sonicstage.php

Indeed, Sony is a Moloch and/or Behemoth. I love my Sony CRT screen, DAT recorder and PDA. There are certain departments that get it right at Sony - as long as no media content is involved and the target customer falls in the "(semi)professional" category. I'd never buy anything from them concerning reproduction of CDs, DVDs or any other media device where BMG/Sony might have their dirty hands in the game.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah thanks, I missed that one.

Quote:
Indeed, Sony is a Moloch and/or Behemoth.
Agreed.

Quote:
I love my Sony CRT screen, DAT recorder and PDA.
Agreed also, Trinitron is still good technology after all theses years.

Quote:
There are certain departments that get it right at Sony - as long as no media content is involved and the target customer falls in the "(semi)professional" category.
Yes, they do make some good semi-pro and pro equipment. However, their low end produces are mostly over priced crap.

Quote:
I'd never buy anything from them concerning reproduction of CDs, DVDs or any other media device where BMG/Sony might have their dirty hands in the game.
Neither would I. My last straw was Thomas Hesse's (President of Sony BMG's global digital business division) response to the XCP rootkit scandal:

"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

I couldn't believe it when I first read it.

Charles

Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSIC COLLECTOR View Post
I picked one up and this little bugger is amazing! I can't keep my hands off it. I take it everywhere!
It is an amazing player. I went out and got a Plastic Cover for my A816 the other day.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Yes, they are great. If you don't want to spend much money, you can get the S615 for $90-$100 - I have it and it is AMAZING. Screen is the same res as a fullsize ipod, it has support for all kinds of formats, mp4 support that works for the same conversion settings as a PSP, and the battery literally lasts over a day. I started listening to it at about noon on sunday and almost never turned it off (maybe a couple hours) from playing music (even at night) and didn't have to charge it until I went to bed on monday.

Yes, I recommend it. The only complaint I have is that you can't make playlists on the player. Firmware update can fix that (eventually)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 AM

i have a nwa3000 great player superb sound not the easist to use and the display screen is abysmal 20gb is too small also.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:51 AM

the sony is slim. and the construction quality is good. depends on what you need and how you use it. i like the tactile buttons over touch screen, i don't want to always have to touch a screen to do things. and the ex headphones that come with some models are pretty decent for bundled stuff

Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Sony's have great sound quality-and some models have DSEE, Clear Stereo/Clear Bass-that's why I own 3 Walkman players.