android
Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You can buy a Windows Mobile, PalmOS, Symbian, or Maemo powered PDA today, each one of them being way more useful and powerful than an MP3 player with some tacked-on features. Why not choose the right tools for a job, instead of wanting a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none? For audio and video, I use a proper MP3 player, sure. But for anything that requires Bluetooth or Wifi, I use my ancient (but great) Clie TH-55 PDA or Sony Ericsson P910i smartphone - simply because they are made for connectivity, and they handle these task way better than any of these half-baked MP3 players with "connectivity" we got today (P2, Insignia, Sony, Zune, etc). There have been way better solutions available for years, I don't see the point in discussing some potentially semi-useful features on some non-existent MP3 players - since everything is already available in a more useful form. And no, they don't sound as good as my Cowon D2 - so there's no way around it, I have to carry two devices with me if I want all these features. The perfect jack-of-all-trades just doesn't exist, and probably never will.
I don't mind negative opinions. I don't even mind yours, dtfk. I just use humor, sarcasm, irony, or whatever it takes to steer them back to the point of this thread. If you're not paying attention, the posts I've responded to in what you perceive to be a belittling way were posts that added nothing to the thread, and generally tried to color it dead.

It's about haptic response and the coming P3. You can hate the idea of it if you want. You can deny that it will ever be. You can squelch any talk of it whatsoever. I'd rather hear from anyone who likes the idea, or even sees a market or need for it in the future. The existing products are irrelivent to this thread. I've got a portable (pocket) TV. It does existing analog TV perfectly well. I can clip it to my belt along with my P2, my Treo 70, my cell phone, and my digital camera. Personally, I look forward to the day when I'll be able to buy one no-compromise pocketable device that is a camera, Digital TV, phone, media player, PC (email, internet, business apps), and personal assistant.

Your "master of none" point is flawed. There is no reason this pocket device can't be master of all.

If you feel belittled, I'm sorry.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

You're right, dtkt. I'm sorry.

I agree with you too. It's far better to carry around a great camera, a great PDA, a great media player, and a great phone rather than a single device that does none of those functions well. In my case that requires a little suitcase, but I get the best of everything that way.

I also agree there is no point in discussing potentially semi-useful crap.

Instead, I suggest we consider threads like this to be discussions of future devices that might be great at all things. Yes, it's hard to imagine given the industry's past record of poor attempts at this. The P2 is a great audio player. It's a great video player. The screen is wonderful. Haptic response, a potential projector, a built-in camera, and so on are stupid things to discuss if we assume that any implementation of them would be half-baked. Still, if industry could get it right, I'd rather carry just one device.

I choose to assume, therefore, that if we are discussing those things we are discussing the perfect implementation of them.

Any camera, for example, would need to be 8mp or better, have a 4x optical zoom with a great macro capability, allow cropping and brightness/contrast/gamma correction right on the device, and use the great screen of a P2 for viewfinder and touch control. Haptic Response I'm undecided about. It's not a deal-breaker for me. A baby projector might be nice for short range (5 feet max, maybe) projection, but should match or exceed the P2's screen resolution. 1280 x 720 is what I'd target. Not a replacement for a conference room projector. Not a power drain. Not a heat producer. Doesn't add thickness to the player. Those are the standards by which new technologies should introduce themselves. IMHO.

4D

Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Another strong suggestion that there will be a new P2 within this year that has haptic touch response: Here.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Anyone that already owns a Haptic device want to share their opinions of it's merit and usefulness?

Since it will likely show up on a P2, your thoughtful impressions are of interest. Thanks.

4D

Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

4D:

Samsung has sold over 100,000 touchscreen phones with haptic in Korea. Fastest selling item they ever introduced. Must be something to it.

BB

Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnm View Post
they just released the 16gb P2...
This has been out for a while...like months.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobtaculus View Post
This has been out for a while...like months.
Where?! I was about to get to 8gb but if there is a 16gb..gimmie link now! Please and thank you

Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

No 16GB in the USA yet. Canada and Europe, and probably Korean.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Us USAers gotta' wait it out I fear!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned

I looks like USA won't get 16GB until the P2 with Haptic touch response shows up sometime before the end of the year. The haptic news doesn't mention memory capacity, but I see no reason to bring out a new P2 without bumping up the memory. That way they'll sell one to many of us that already have a 4GB or 8GB model.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

<snip>.... I don't see the point in discussing some potentially semi-useful features on some non-existent MP3 players - since everything is already available in a more useful form.

And no, they don't sound as good as my Cowon D2 - so there's no way around it, I have to carry two devices with me if I want all these features. The perfect jack-of-all-trades just doesn't exist, and probably never will.

Though I agree in general that convergence devices have been overall, jacks-of-all and masters-of-none.. I wouldn't count out a Lord-of-the-Rings device in the future.

Personally, I'm not a fan of convergence devices.. as dfkt rightly notes, the advantages of better specialization devices to accomplish specific tasks.

However, "semi-useful" features have a tendency to be a driving force in CE devices.. the more the merrier effect, so to speak.. as people have a diversity in wishes/wants/needs. Nothing revolutionary here and all this has been spoken to before, Grahm addressed a similar issue in his OpEd piece on the Zune, with his things "I don't want to see list".

Though the P2 suffers some bloat, I think what it has is a net positive, presently.. haptic feedback would be a nice addition as well as a faster proc and more memory... those are the things I'd like to have addressed in a next-gen P2/P3.

Last edited by Utew; 05-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 PM

I hope they don't come out with it for over a year because that means that even people that bought a P2 when it first came out wont have had more than 2 years on it, and since they just recently fixed most bugs on it, they only probably plan a couple more small firmware updates.

Tags
haptic, p3, rumors, samsung