android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox

Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Default That's it, I'm done with RockBox. Second time in three weeks I've had to format my

Sansa e280. I'm even using the official build.

Is there anything at all I can do to keep this from happening a third time? If not, I'm done with this RockBox garbage.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Rockbox Developer

What happens exactly? Rockbox is pretty stable. Most (if not all) don't have problems.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
What happens exactly? Rockbox is pretty stable. Most (if not all) don't have problems.
My computer is not recognizing it at all (it's coming up as a Removable Disk with 0 bytes used, 0 bytes available), and I'm pretty sure it isn't the USB cord as the last two weeks it had been working fine.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you are using the Official Rockbox build you could go onto their IRC channel and ask why it is happening. I have Rockbox on my e280R, and so far no issues like that yet.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Rockbox Developer

No, he should definitely blame Rockbox. I agree when he says, that Rockbox is garbage, and that all others who don't have problems are doing something entirely wrong!

(That was sarcasm)

Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Zune Moderator

Are you using Rockbox to connect to the computer? If you are you are doing it wrong you must connect to the computer using the OF.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would do an "Ultimate fix", reformat the data partition and reinstall the bootloader and Rockbox. I have been using Rockbox since the beginning of the port. With rare exceptions during its younger days, I have had zero problems with Rockbox.

Charles

Old 05-30-2008, 01:36 PM

I donīt know how to say this in a polite way... I will try:
Rockbox is a stable firmware, and it is better than OF. Iīve been using it for more than a year and never had to format my e270 (NEVER), and I tried a lot of builds. Developers spent a lot of time and effort in this project for free. So, the rest of us are very happy with Rockbox and say thanks to developers and thanks to this project . Itīs not good to say itīs a garbage .
If you donīt like it, just uninstall it from your sansa and continue your life with OF.
Please, read the manual carefully and be sure that you are doing what the manual says and after that ask for help.
Sennheiser CX300

Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Ever get the feeling that some software is just not meant for the general public

Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Ever get the feeling that some software is just not meant for the general public
Rockbox is actually way more stable then the OF. I never had problems that were not self induced. The features in Rockbox totally make the OF worthless for anything but USB syncing. Everyone that has had problems usually will get the fixed within 2 days of them posting here. Most problems are user mistakes.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSansaOwner View Post
My computer is not recognizing it at all (it's coming up as a Removable Disk with 0 bytes used, 0 bytes available), and I'm pretty sure it isn't the USB cord as the last two weeks it had been working fine.
I've had the same problem. Sometimes when you insert the USB it is recognized and sometimes it isn't right? I just did a complete format and haven't had a problem since. Maybe I used the original firmware too much or messed around with themes too much and messed up my filesystem.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM

I had this same problem, and it was killing me. Finally, I got a suggestion from another forum.

Hit Control-Alt-Delete, and search through the processes. There's a program called "Sansadispatch.exe" that's causing problems for some reason. Close it out, then try to reconnect your Sansa. It should be accepted fine.

I had the exact same symptoms - there's no reason to reformat your Sansa. I wouldn't be surprised if Sandisk is getting a lot of RMA's for this problem - because others have complained that Sandisk support has been unable to help.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
There's a program called "Sansadispatch.exe" that's causing problems for some reason.
Is that part of the Sansa S/W or something Rockbox installs on your PC?

The other thing I wound suspect if disk corruption is the problem is not properly removing the Sansa from the PC. You need to disconnect before pulling the plug.

HTH,
hank

Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Is that part of the Sansa S/W or something Rockbox installs on your PC?
Rockbox doesn't install anything on any PC.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Yep, it's a Sandisk program.

I just had that problem again, where I'd connect my Sansa and it'd show up as a blank storage drive, with no capacity. When trying to disconnect, my Sansa froze. So I killed "sansadispatch.exe", reconnected - and it worked like a charm.

From now on, I'm going to search for and kill that process every time I try to connect. I believe it's a program that's necessary when connecting, but it doesn't close out when it should. That's just a guess however.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Rockbox Developer

There are no programs necessary for connecting. Especially in UMS mode. It may just be a program Sandisk provides that does extra things of some sort or other, but it's not essential if MSC mode is truly MSC. Same with MTP.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSansaOwner View Post
I totally agree with Cruleworld. Your work MUST be done in the OF and not Rockbox!. When plugging your player into the computer with OF you should be in MSC mode and you should then see "2" drives...1 removable (microSD card slot) and the Sansa internal drive. At this point you can then install Rockbox into the root of your internal drive, and *BAM* your done...making sure that you've also installed the bootloader.

I've been running Rockbox for about 6 months now and have not had ANY problems with it. It's been a Godsend...much better than OF any day!!!

Stick with it..you'll love it!.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM

First of all your first post is not even remotely specific and it makes it a lot harder to help you when you give something along the lines of "It's not working". Also, you shouldn't have needed to reformat your Sansa, when you plug it into the USB port it needs to be on using the official firmware made by Sandisk, not Rockbox. Rockbox can only charge the Sansa not open it as a removable storage meida. Reinstall the official firmware and you should have no problems connecting it.