android
Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Exclamation E260...real problem, not making this up.

Hello all,
Well, I haven't had any problems with my Sansa until about three days ago. I left my Sansa in my truck during school hours, from about 8 in the morning to 1 in the afternoon. Now I keep the windows cracked and....long story short, when I tried to turn it on my E260 would take twice as long to boot, and the first thing it does is ask me for the language.

Now, I didn't think that would be a problem when I installed RockBox yesterday (fantastic, btw). The music stills plays fine and everything. But it now turns out that when I try to connect my Sansa to the comp., RockBox gives way to the Sansa usb mode. But! It starts up the same, asking for my language and with the brightness level higher than I originally set it. And the clencher: everytime it boots it's in MTP mode.

So I feel SOL....I can't get the computer to read my Sansa, and even if I could it would be in MTP mode....bad!

Any ideas on this heat-induced dilemma?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 AM

I don't think the heat would cause that to happen. There are various glitches experienced with RockBox, even if not shown immediately. I'm sure the Sansa is in no way bricked since it turns on when trying to connect. Not sure on how to get the computer to read it now, I'll leave that up to more knowledgeable folks here.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 AM

moved to rockbox forums. i think JC is correct, that definitely does not sound like a heat induced issue

Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM

did u try putting it into recovery mode? if so and if it works, try to re-install the firmware (there are untouched dumps at these forums). maybe just a part of the OF got bashed

Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchill View Post
Now, I didn't think that would be a problem when I installed RockBox yesterday (fantastic, btw). The music stills plays fine and everything. But it now turns out that when I try to connect my Sansa to the comp., RockBox gives way to the Sansa usb mode. But! It starts up the same, asking for my language and with the brightness level higher than I originally set it. And the clencher: everytime it boots it's in MTP mode.

So I feel SOL....I can't get the computer to read my Sansa, and even if I could it would be in MTP mode....bad!

Any ideas on this heat-induced dilemma?
Definitely doubt it's heat-induced. Firmware (and settings) and the music are on the same flash module, so if in some odd way it was heat-induced, nothing would work, and it wouldn't boot.

Rockbox doesn't have working USB yet, which is why it reboots into the OF (original firmware) when you connect the USB cable.

From what I understand, you're saying that when launching the OF from Rockbox (by inserting the USB cable) it reboots into the OF, shows the language select screen, and then goes into USB mode about three seconds later? If that's the case, all that happened was the settings somehow got messed up (could be from when you ran sansapatcher, can't say for sure).

All you should need to do is turn the sansa off, and turn it back on, while holding <<|. That should start the OF, and you should be presented with the language select screen. Select a language and go to Settings | USB Mode and select MSC, (and change brightness) and everything should be back to normal.

If the settings don't hold, something got messed up, which is normally fixable by using Recovery mode (Turn hold on, hold REC, turn on Sansa, release REC when Welcome to Recovery Mode appears. Place the PP5022.mi4 file in the 16MB-FORMAT drive that appears on your computer, and safely remove/disconnect. Be sure not to place any other files on the 16MB-FORMAT drive, and do not format it.)

Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Is there a CMOS type battery on the Sansa? I thought I saw one. It's located right beneath the LCD in this photo. If that is a battery then it might be depleted.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's a battery (based on what the PCB says) but I don't know what it's for. However, since settings are stored on the flash (which doesn't require power) I think that battery is most likely for keeping track of time.

Tags
sansa e260 heat issues