android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 05-31-2008, 01:47 PM

Default ZVM Functions when plugged in, shuts off when unplugged

Hello everyone,

My Zen Vision M has had some problems as of late. Last week, I thought it was dead as a doornail, but I ordered a wall charger, which I never owned previously, that revived it. It worked normally for the week, but now it's back in a bad condition.

When it's plugged into the wall charger, it will turn on and off and play music. As soon as it's unplugged, though, the screen goes blank and the solid blue light stays on. The player's charge icons reports the battery is fully charged.

I just ordered a replacement battery off the 'net. Did I make the right move?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe you did. Good job. Let us know how it goes when you replace the battery. Good luck and welcome to ABI.

Oh, what charger did you use? What are the output specs?

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-05-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will give an update after I swap batteries. I bought my battery from ipods99.com, which seemed good because it had good ratings from Google users.

As for the charger, here's the one i used. Once again, the customer reviews on Amazon were very high, and the price was certainly right. I don't have it with me at the moment to see if it's got specs printed on it.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, please do.

I just wanted to verify you were using a good charger. Thanks.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM

So the new battery is installed. When I tried to charge it with the wall charger, it immediately booted up as it did before. The screen suggested the player had a full charge, but as soon as the charger was unplugged the screen went blank and the blue light stayed on.

I hit the player's reset button and put it on the USB all night. The blue light has been flashing, which is something I couldn't make happen with the wall charger. But after an entire night on the USB port, the player still doesn't boot up.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What firmware version are you using? I believe there was a firmware bug that caused a similar issue before.

Perhaps the micro-controller that handles the interface and charging of the battery is no longer working. If that is the case, a new mainboard will be needed.

If you have a wall charger.... it is best to leave it charging on it instead of the computers USB port.

Does it boot into Recovery Mode/stay on in Recovery Mode or act any differently?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 AM

I'm using 1.62.02, the most recent firmware release.

I left for work with the Zen hooked up to the wall charger. There was no sign of any actual charging taking place - the LED light was off - but hopefully it'll somehow bring it back to life.

The player does not boot in recovery mode. It goes through the boot screens and comes to the main menu when it's plugged in to the wall. While plugged in, it can be turned off, turned on, or turned on in recovery mode.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Still...... you have a new battery and it shouldn't be doing this if it was a battery issue. I highly doubt you got a new, bad battery, but it is possible I guess. Were you able to voltage test the battery when you got it before you installed it into the ZVM? I'm really suspecting the mainboard now. How did the power port look on the mainboard; the plug you attach the battery connector too? Was it loose at all?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Everything looks good on the board, and I think the battery itself is in perfectly good condition. I'm about ready to give up on it... There's no signs in any of the aforementioned scenarios that the player will actually charge.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the new battery is good, the firmware is up to date, no connectors are loose, then I would really suspect the MC that handles the interface and charging of the battery is causing the issue. If so, then a new mainboard will be needed.

Have you tried reloading the firmware to really rule it out?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM

How can I reload the firmware if the player won't turn on when plugged into the computer? Wouldn't I end up with a player with no firmware on it at all?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try plugging in the ZVM to the wall charger and the USB at the same time to get it to come on and be seen by the computer. If the ZVM is still being recognized and loads properly by the computer, you should be able to download and run the firmware executable file again to reload the firmware. You can also try using Creative's Recovery Tool.

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery, zen vision m