android
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 PM

Default 1st - 2nd Gen?

I'm going on holiday for two weeks next week, in which I am very painfully absent of a mp3 (other than a PDA). I think I decided on the Zune, I like the wi-fi feature. I think I have decided on Zune, as Creative have been supposedly crumbling, and I would like something other than an iPod.

I don't have a huge pool of money, and they are more expensive since I am buying from the UK. I'm not sure what I really want though, 80GB is a lot, and I would probably only use 20 GB excluding movies - I have never really had a video player. I thought about the 8GB but at the moment my collection on my computer is 6GB, but then I would only have 2GB if I wanted to stick movies in. Two movies?

30GB is a fair amount, but what's the difference really between the 1st, and 2nd generation?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the interface of the 1st gen can be updated with the 2nd gen's new interface...so that's a wash. With the second gen, you get the touch "squircle" navigation pad that is typically love it or hate it with users and you get the 80gb HD...that's basically it...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Another question, if I purchase a Zune 80 from a UK retailer, it means it is imported from the US, correct? This would only mean I wouldn't be able to use the marketplace, but when it is implemented in the UK, I will be able to?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Marketplace is based on the Zune software only I believe, so it really has nothing to do with where the Zune is purchased from. This is my belief and I cannot really confirm...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Another question, if I purchase a Zune 80 from a UK retailer, it means it is imported from the US, correct? This would only mean I wouldn't be able to use the marketplace, but when it is implemented in the UK, I will be able to?
You are correct in thinking that. There is a easy hack to get the marketplace working though. To apply the workaround, find the “Regional and Language Options” settings in your Control Panel. If you are a Vista user you can get to this by searching for “regional” in the Start menu. Under the “Locations” tab, select “United States” as the country. then click "Apply". If you launch the Zune software, you should be in business.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Another difference between the two generations is that generation 2 has absolutely no equalizer.

As for the registry hack this will need to be done on every computer that the Zune is connected to.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Zune Moderator

The EQ is not really a needed feature though. I have never used it on my Zune 30.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

I know but some people swear by it so I think this needs to be pointed out. As for me, no matter what DAP I use, the EQ is always turned off.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
You are correct in thinking that. There is a easy hack to get the marketplace working though. To apply the workaround, find the “Regional and Language Options” settings in your Control Panel. If you are a Vista user you can get to this by searching for “regional” in the Start menu. Under the “Locations” tab, select “United States” as the country. then click "Apply". If you launch the Zune software, you should be in business.
I tried to access zune originals to see if it worked, when I changed the location settings but I got this error:

https://zuneoriginals.net/BSTSite/er...s/IPError.aspx

The same won't happen with the Marketplace? Do I need to restart or something?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Zune Moderator

You probably will not be able to access the Zune originals site. The marketplace should work fine with the hack posted above. The Zune originals site is based on your IP address, Not the region setting. I will not guarantee the Marketplace to work though since I have no way of trying it.

Last edited by Cruleworld; 05-28-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I tried to access zune originals to see if it worked, when I changed the location settings but I got this error:

https://zuneoriginals.net/BSTSite/er...s/IPError.aspx

The same won't happen with the Marketplace? Do I need to restart or something?
Google UltraReach. download and install it to view the www.zuneoriginals.net website using Internet Explorer.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Zune Moderator

That may get him to the site, but I bet they still won't ship to the UK.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM

They do have 'resellers' in the UK, that source the products from the US - http://www.zunethings.co.uk/zune-2-c...e4a9f9a7139d3c they are significantly more expensive. Everything in the UK is expensive anyway.

There is also ebay but I have never bought from ebay ever, and least of all an expensive item like this.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Zune Moderator

Have you tried amazon.co.uk or other retailers in your area?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM

They all seem similar price, this is so disappointing, and the lack of support. I don't want to go for an iPod, grah!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Zune Moderator

This one seems pretty cheap. How much are you willing to spend?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

£110 is cheap, but then my only concern is the lack of warranty - are they likely to break? What about import duty and VAT (VAT = £129.25)? My budget I think is flexible, according to what I get. I look at the 80GB, and I get a significantly greater amount of storage.

I would wait for 2009, but I have a holiday in two months (not two weeks as stated), and some of them are long trips.

It states on the zunethings website:

Quote:
Warranty
ZuneThings will honour the full 12 month warranty by repairing or replacing the Zune should anything go wrong.
Is warranty worth £50-80?

Argh, I am frustrated with Microsoft.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Zune Moderator

There should be a 1 year warranty offered by Microsoft. I have never really had A Zune 80 so I don't fully know what their durability is.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
There should be a 1 year warranty offered by Microsoft. I have never really had A Zune 80 so I don't fully know what their durability is.
I had got the impression that I wouldn't get warranty, or does that just mean I would have to send it to the US if it breaks?

Edit: I actually had a dream about the Zune, I had to charge it up, I put the American plug into the shaver point and it started to charge. hehe.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Zune Moderator

oh that's true shipping it over the border may be a problem. I think that does void your warranty.