android
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Location: Chicago Suburbs (Loyola University Chicago when summer is out!!)
Help Toshiba MK1626GCB ZIF question

I want to put a toshiba MK1626GCB in my ZVM, and had a few questions. As you can see from the specs i posted, it has a CE-ATA interface. Stock ZMVs have PATA (ATA-6) HDDs in them--will the ZVM be able to use the newer CE-ATA interface? The CE-ATA ZIF connectors use 18 pins, and the ZVM has a 40 pin ZIF socket. I've been looking on google, and it seems that most ZIF sockets are compatible with plugs with equal to or lesser amounts of pins--is this true with the ZVM socket? I was also wondering what the pitches were on the ZIF plug on the MK1626GCB and the ZIF socket in the ZVM. If they aren't the same would i be able to file one of the two down and/or just force them together successfully or would I be able to find an adapter at some place like Fry's?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe you are reaching a little too far. Besides the issue of a different number of pins with different pinouts; just because they both use a ZIF connector doesn't mean the interface will be the same. There is also the possible issue to whether the firmware on the ZVM will handle reading the capacity of a drive that large.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 PM

Location: Chicago Suburbs (Loyola University Chicago when summer is out!!)
Default Thanks

Okay well thanks anyway, I'll just stick with the 100 gb hard drive since it's already been done, that's plenty of space for me anyway

Last edited by AxelMan; 05-26-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think that would be the safest way to upgrade the hard drive right now. Remember you are dealing with a hard drive which isn't memory. Good luck and welcome to ABI.

Zen FAQ

Tags
hard drive, mk1626gcb, toshiba, zif