android
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Sam's Club Digi-Block Cube questions.

Hello all!

Just got one of the Sams Club black 2gb. Cubes. One thing I do not like is that the FM radio function is not present, nor is the custom EQ present. I did try to do a firmware update to the mobiblu latest firmware, but it just hung on the "searching for player" screen. I tried the reset as well, but no luck. Is there anyway to do a manual firmware upgrade? The specs on the Digi-Block player mention firmware updating, but their website as pretty much useless, and has no updates on it.

Still, $89 for a 2gb. cube isn't a bad deal, just would love the custom EQ.

Jive

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, the cube went back yesterday. It basically is a stripped down version of the MobiBlu Cube. Has no FM radio, no custom EQ, no time function, and no SRS effects (even though it states on the box that it does). There seems to be no support for this player, and the website www.digiblock.com is quite worthless. Also, there was no way to change the screen brightness, and as it was, it was very dim. Not worth the hassle, so I saved $20 and got an RCA Opal that has a lot more features.

Jive

Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM

I had the Mobiblu 512K and now just purchased the 2G Digi-Block. I must say that the Mobiblu Cube was much quicker, it had a greater variety of functions available, seemed to transfer data much more quickly from the computer, and had a screen which was easier to see in the day. That said, since the Digi-Block was selling at Sam's Club for about $60, it was not a bad deal. It is a small and convenient way to carry songs and data, and listen to music. It also has the convenient headphone necklace which was on the Cube. In all, if I could find a 2G Cube with a $20 price difference, I would choose the Mobiblu Cube.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Sam's now has the digi block for about $40, but it just doesn't seem to work as advertised. When trying to sync with MS media player, it resets the cube everytime the sync starts. That kind of kills the sync. Moving mp3 files directly with windows explorer works fairly well (only resets once in a while). The sound is quite good and the features are great for a $40 2 gb player, but the included earbuds had one bad bud. Bottom line...back to Sam's it goes.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 PM

does anyone still have the software that came with the digi-block?
I seem to have lost it, and my digi-block is now dead

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Digi-Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
Sam's now has the digi block for about $40, but it just doesn't seem to work as advertised. When trying to sync with MS media player, it resets the cube everytime the sync starts. That kind of kills the sync. Moving mp3 files directly with windows explorer works fairly well (only resets once in a while). The sound is quite good and the features are great for a $40 2 gb player, but the included earbuds had one bad bud. Bottom line...back to Sam's it goes.

Sam's has once again reduced the price to $20.00, at least in the NE PA region. Features or no features, $20 for a 2gb MP3 player is a deal and a half. If all you want to do is listen to music...why not...it's only $20.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Unhappy New here.

I am computer challenged !!!!
So... I had my teen age daughter help me and when she couldnt do it well now i turn to you....
I bought the cube mp3 player from Sams club... I have a Mac OSX
Version-10.4.10
I dont know if my computer isint compatible or were doing something wrong
But after loading the disk... we got nothing.... Can anyone help?????
or should I just take it back?????
Thanks
Johanna

Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Digi-Block Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
Sam's has once again reduced the price to $20.00, at least in the NE PA region. Features or no features, $20 for a 2gb MP3 player is a deal and a half. If all you want to do is listen to music...why not...it's only $20.
New here too. I agree. I got a couple Digi-Blocks at $20, a pretty good price for a 2GB player since just a plain 2GB USB memory stick goes for at least $15.

Anyway, I managed to mess up one of the two . The USB cable came loose while writing files to it. Its file system got messed up enough that Device Manager flip flops between recognizing it and not, so there isn't even a drive or device I can format. Just like the MobiBLU cubes, this cube is capable of going into "Rescue Mode" by attaching it to a PC via the USB cable, holding down the play button and poking the reset button for about 5 seconds. After releasing the reset button, the play button has to be depressed until the unit boots. The PC will then recognize it as either an STMP3500 (a common chip used in MP3 players) or a Player Recovery Device.

Obviously, I need the Digi-Block firmware update disk, which did not come with the unit. The CD just contained Windows drivers (which aren't needed for XP at all). The digiblock.net site is useless, and has no links to the firmware. Just a question for this forum, did anyone actually get the update program with their cube? The Digi-Block website seems to imply that it should have come on the CD. I'll probably call the 800 number on Monday to ask about the program. Someone actually answered the phone immediately on a Saturday, but he said the office was closed on weekends.

In the meantime, I tried loading the MobiBLU Cubisto firmware into the unit (available on the MobiBLU site). The block is now recognized as a Cubisto, and I can drag files into it on the PC, but the display stays blank, and the buttons don't work. I was hoping it would work, but I guess there are enough hardware differences. Oh well.

Anyway, if anyone knows where to get the real Digi-Block firmware, please post.

Sorry for the long post, but there should enough keywords in here for the right people to find it on the search engines.

Cheers.
- AlexK

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Digi-Block MTP on MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
I am computer challenged !!!!
So... I had my teen age daughter help me and when she couldnt do it well now i turn to you....
I bought the cube mp3 player from Sams club... I have a Mac OSX
Version-10.4.10
I dont know if my computer isint compatible or were doing something wrong
But after loading the disk... we got nothing.... Can anyone help?????
or should I just take it back?????
Thanks
Johanna
Johanna,

New here too, but I am a Windows and Linux user. The Digi-Block I just purchased works as an "MTP" device, and not the "Mass Storage" (i.e. like a disk drive) device as stated in the User's Manual. Had it been a mass storage device, MAC OSX would have seen it without additional software. On Windows XP with Media Player 10 installed, the MTP device appears in Explorer so you can drag files into it and out of it.

I'm not a MAC user, but this Wikipedia Article says that MTP is not supported natively on MAC OSX. There is a free program called XNJB for MACs available here that should allow you to drag files to the cube. Again, not a MAC user, so I wouldn't be much more help. If it is too much effort to make it work, I'd recommend just taking it back to the store.

- AlexK

Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Digi-Block

How do you change from one directory to another. It plays fine but can"t seem to get it to play what I want. William

Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Default Digi-Block quick review plus long winded info post

Another new member here - just want to share what I can at this point...
I found the Block at Sams around Christmas time and couldn't pass it up at 20 bucks. I got 2 for myself - one to use one to hack... Being a hardware guy I'm the worst kind of gadget freak when it's cheap or out of warranty!

My quick review -
If you can find one for 20 dollars like I did you will probably be quite happy with it and able to live with it's quirks. It plays great so far and all who have seen and heard it were really impressed! remember - I only paid 20 bucks... And I'd do it again!

Now the long winded info part... good bad other
If you care to, please read my observations and thoughts in rambling order - future posts if any should be shorter, questions welcome, will help if able, YMMV.

My observations with XP include:
On its first connection to XP it was recognized as a mass storage device then later as an MTP Player (I guess XP "fixed" it for me while I was away) The included USB drivers were not needed and the CD appears to only include USB drivers and the files needed to install them - no update or configuration software as far as I could tell. After dumping some files on the block I could not delete one with "read only" attributes and ended up formatting the block. It seems XP has some issues accessing the block as a "normal" USB storage device. When I create a "new folder" in the block I can't rename it so I create my folders, do naming, organizing or any other file "adjustments" on my PC - then copy them to the block. If I want to change something I do it (on the PC) then copy over the old file or folder. I'm no Win Guru so maybe the issues I have are easy to resolve or just for my PC. I found ways to deal with it so I'm good for now. Just be sure to (as always) back up your stuff before you format... shouldn't be a problem if you only copy.

Mac iBook with OS X 10.4.11
The block shows up on the desktop as a drive called "NO NAME" and I have (it appears) full access to do whatever I want to the files and file structure on the block. It's my understanding that the Mac OS is UNIX based which may explain this. It seems to be more compatible with the blocks file system. I did not have to update or install any patch, software or driver to use it with the Mac. Plug and Play? imagine that!

Personally I have enjoyed my "Block" so far despite seeming somewhat XP unfriendly (compared to the Mac OS) It does appear to be a lesser version of the MobiBlu stuff (probably made by the same manufacturer) but hey! $20.00 is not bad for a USB device that can also play mp3s and does a good job of it in my opinion. As far as using any of the MobiBlu software on it? I haven't tried it myself - but I'm looking for the software - and I won't rush into it.

I have seen 4 to 5 hours play on a charge using external speakers - there may be more load on the battery with headphones (impedance thing) but that needs more investigation.

The headphones are kinda cheesy but functional with the neck strap and dongle thingy. I use external speakers or an FM modulator for now.
I saw a complaint "you can't listen while it's plugged into the charger or computer" True but come on... at 1 inch cubed there's a real estate premium here. I like the jack is not some unique weird doodad that could never be replaced if it's lost and out of production.

Yup, it's a bit tricky using the menus to navigate but it works - read the manual and play with the buttons - it does work!

It seems to always start from the "beginning" after a shutdown for any reason - I haven't seen it pick up where it left off yet except from a pause. Was that in the manual?

I can sometimes crash it if I menu around while it is playing - it has always come back on and started again (from the beginning) so far. Seems best to pause it before browsing around - I bet it's working as hard as it can most of the time it's playing so it's no real surprise to me.

Agreed - the http://www.digiblock.net/ is pretty useless and MobiBlu http://web.mac.com/mobiblu/Site/MobiBLU.html is no help either at this point.

And yes it is hard to see the display in bright light.

I intend to hack the block to the extent I'm able - First mod? Add an audio jack to the charger so I can play while charging. That looks like an easy job but the little switching charger may also be a big noise generator. Probably not an option when in transfer mode since the play function goes away while "ready" or "writting" Details at 11...

Carl

Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 PM

yeah, I bought the cube today for $20. It doesn't work, at all. It only blinks MP3 PLAYER over and over. I reset it, I installed those drivers, my computer won't recognize it at all. I really don't won't to take to the store, but there isn't much else I can do. The website told me to upgrade the firmware, again none. There was an email for support that sends back an email saying it doesn't exist. What am I supposed to do with it?
-Tyler

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Wink

Im also having bad times with digiblock's cube mp3 player.
I've ordered one through ebay, and it showed the display properly for the first time. I connected to my pc running XP, it recognized as mass storage drive.
I dragged some files into the drive, but my bad I'm so impatient with the file transfer time and I cancelled the copy!. The real problem started when I disconnected the player. I wish, i'ld not done that!

Later then, I tried to connect to PC but the player is not at all recognized.
I've verified the manual, the site and at last called the support. I disappointed a lot when the support guys told that the product is out dated and there is no firmware available!. Now the player is a piece of junk sitting on my desk.

Well I've taken this as challenge and began to search in google, to fix the firmware. I believe resetting the firmware would make the player work again. All we need is a correct version of firmware.

This site pointed me to some korean site
http://web.mac.com/mobiblu/Site/PROTOCOL.html

And this is the Korean site where I found the similar (I believe) product, which is referred with name "Cubisto"
http://mobiblu.com/help_center/01_01.html?item=cubist

This site is in Korean language, you'ld find three sub menus
The first one(the default) lists the software that can be used for updating the firmware.

The second submenu is some thing unknown to me, and I never tried.

The third submenu lists a pdf manual. Gosh, the manual is in Korean language, but this manual resembles exactly the english manual which i got with the player. This made be to believe that I found the firmware updater software.

Well I found the firmware updater software, but Its not recognizing the player!!

Hope this software can help u guys.

DISCLAIMER: I TRIED IT AS THE LAST HOPE, I'M NOT ASSURING U THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT SOFTWARE.

I took lot of care in writing my comments, im not good at english pl excuse me.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Cheap for 2GB

Got one shipped to me from Sam's auction site for a grand total of $13.55 (price plus shipping). Plugged it in to my laptop running Vista and it popped open a folder. Loaded in a few hundred songs (a bit slowly) in two folders and it's playing them now and it wasn't hard to switch folders. Can't complain yet. Can't get many MickyD's meals for that price. One mystery is it came with a device not connected to anything that is a clasped tubular shaped black plastic shell with a black material inside that appears to be something like what in electronics is called a "choke" and I'm not sure where it should be used. It looks like it would fit over the USB cord. Any confirmation on that?
Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 AM

Unhappy hi!

hi, i also have problem with my digi-block, my computer and other computer don't recognize it, it charging up on my usb but i cant transfer files because it wasn't recognized. i dont have a cd driver, anyone here has the driver, please send it to me or anyone here knows where i can get it?! Thanks!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
New here too. I agree. I got a couple Digi-Blocks at $20, a pretty good price for a 2GB player since just a plain 2GB USB memory stick goes for at least $15.

Anyway, I managed to mess up one of the two . The USB cable came loose while writing files to it. Its file system got messed up enough that Device Manager flip flops between recognizing it and not, so there isn't even a drive or device I can format. Just like the MobiBLU cubes, this cube is capable of going into "Rescue Mode" by attaching it to a PC via the USB cable, holding down the play button and poking the reset button for about 5 seconds. After releasing the reset button, the play button has to be depressed until the unit boots. The PC will then recognize it as either an STMP3500 (a common chip used in MP3 players) or a Player Recovery Device.

Obviously, I need the Digi-Block firmware update disk, which did not come with the unit. The CD just contained Windows drivers (which aren't needed for XP at all). The digiblock.net site is useless, and has no links to the firmware. Just a question for this forum, did anyone actually get the update program with their cube? The Digi-Block website seems to imply that it should have come on the CD. I'll probably call the 800 number on Monday to ask about the program. Someone actually answered the phone immediately on a Saturday, but he said the office was closed on weekends.

In the meantime, I tried loading the MobiBLU Cubisto firmware into the unit (available on the MobiBLU site). The block is now recognized as a Cubisto, and I can drag files into it on the PC, but the display stays blank, and the buttons don't work. I was hoping it would work, but I guess there are enough hardware differences. Oh well.

Anyway, if anyone knows where to get the real Digi-Block firmware, please post.

Sorry for the long post, but there should enough keywords in here for the right people to find it on the search engines.

Cheers.
- AlexK
Hi guys. My Digi-Block has gone crazy too! Did anyone finally get the real Digi-Block firmware? If so, please let me know how to get it!

Thanx a lot!