android
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Exclamation Almost completely decided...a few questions.

I studied the D2 review here, compared it with other players, and browsed through the forums...and I think I've pretty much settled on the D2. I recently lost my Rockbox'd Sansa to the wilds of Camden NJ, and my only other MP3 player is a 256mb MuVo from way back in the day...so it's a situation that's gonna have to be fixed and SOON. :P

I'll try not to reiterate questions that have already been asked:

1. I was going to buy a Creative ZEN before I discovered that SD card usage has horrible and rather retarded limitations. There are none whatsoever on the D2, right? (Most importantly, you can create bookmarks for files on SD cards just as if the files were on the internal memory? This is important, cause audiobooks are going to be its primary use.)

2. What's the general community consensus about the touch screen? It's one of the biggest reservations I have about ordering the device. I noted in the review that the author had a few complaints about it, but in a few forum posts he commented about liking it.

3. This is the deal I've been looking at, and was curious if anyone else had picked it up: http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=420 Does the case come with a belt clip?

4. There's no size limitation on the SDHC cards? Ideally what I'd like to do is take my entire collection of audiobooks that I enjoy re-listening to and dump them onto a single 32gig card when the price becomes stomach-able.

5. In browsing through the forums, I find references to 3.xx and 2.xx versions of the firmware. What's the difference?

Thanks in advance. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I plan on "pulling the trigger" tonight. :3

Last edited by cyanea; 04-22-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added a question

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm a recent D2 purchaser - also as a replacement for a Rockboxed Sansa (I'm selling mine on eBay - reason is that I've outgrown the video screen size and sub-par audio quality). So, my responses to your questions:

- The player itself has a 500 folder / 5000 file limit. But I think that's only for the internal memory - an SD card would have a separate 500 / 5000 file limit. I haven't played around with SD cards, otherwise.

- imo, the Touchscreen is a mixed bag. It certainly has a nice "wow" factor, and it allows the player to be very SMALL and yet have a large screen. But it takes some getting used to. I happen to like it, with the right firmware / flash skin (see below).

- I bought mine from newegg (also an 8GB), and it came in less than 3 days (I live near Trenton). The JetMall deal sounds good, but I read that the case is a bit bulky - that removes one of the D2's biggest advantages, imo. And there's no belt clip, I've read. I bought a silicon case / armband + screen protector on eBay, which suites me just fine.

- I think the size limit is 32GB right now. But, keep in mind the file/folder limit - once you get past 16GB, you could exceed it. I don't know if a firmware update will fix this or not.

- 2.xx vs 3.xx is a matter of what you're looking for. The major differences: 2.xx does MTP, 3.xx does not; 2.xx does themes, 3.xx does themes and skins; 2.xx has Audible support, 3.xx does not. I went to 3.55 because I like large Album Art and there's a skin out there that does that.

My only reservation about the D2 is that I've lost last.fm scrobbler support and gapless playback. But, the sound quality and video screen size more than makes up for it, imo. Lastly, keep in mind that both the Creative Zen Vision: M and the D2 have new Rockbox ports in active development. So, you could potentially Rockbox either of them, in the future.

Regards, Brian

Last edited by roebeet; 04-22-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Audible support change

Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM

When playing most of my favorite music on internal memory, the gap is less than perhaps 1/3 a second. With the SDHC card, it is as high as 1 second, but almost always less.

Edit: oops, I just realized I posted in the wrong thread! Sorry...

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1 correction - the file size limit is 3000/not 5000. Heres the link to the specs: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products...ech_specs.html

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who answered. n.n I just got finished ordering it, and it should be here by Friday.

Can't wait.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanea View Post
Thanks to everyone who answered. n.n I just got finished ordering it, and it should be here by Friday.

Can't wait.
Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, its a fine player, I don't know if it was mentioned but you should get one of these with it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3808

Great screen protector, they are really all the same so I suggest getting the best value =D

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Yeah, its a fine player, I don't know if it was mentioned but you should get one of these with it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3808

Great screen protector, they are really all the same so I suggest getting the best value =D
Don't forget a case also - Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...won+d2&x=0&y=0

Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, since the D2 uses matte instead of gloss plastic, I have yet to find a scratch or even minor aesthetic deficiency on my D2-- its a tough player, I wouldn't even consider putting a case on it. Ultimately its a matter of preference though; you need a case to use an armband too.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post

+1 on Deal Extreme. I only have the dealextreme protectors and think they are a great buy. 1 Problem however, mine are a touch to small. Anyone else have this problem. If you are carefull you should be able to make the gap to the edges of the bezel the same but there is definately a small gap.

Also, make sure to oder more then 1, as I screwed the pooch on the first one.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Yeah, it's maybe 1mm to small... but it covers the whole effective pixel field of the screen. You have to look at the screen and see that it's not really centered, and the excess border of the screen might be wider on one side. Just put the screen protector off-center on the whole screen area, and try to cover the real active pixel area.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Just got it today and I'm loving it to death...

Thanks! n.n

Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Same here!!! Video is awesome..f.m radio..upgrade to firmware 3.55..lyrics..sound quality is great..GOOD PRICE!! and soon rockbox will be available --> gapless, more tag/codec support-->more features

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM

when is rockbox supposed to come out for it? tat would be awesome!!! i also lost my sansa

Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM

There is no ETA for Rockbox releases, so don't ask.

Rockbox will not be all that great, at least for the initial release... don't you all get too excited. Rockbox will not support MPEG4 (only MPEG1/2), it won't support the touch screen (only buttons mapped to the screen area), and you will lose all BBE enhancements.

Rockbox is nice for improving crappy players like the Sansa e200, but for already great players like the D2 it will add some stuff - but also omit some features we're already used to. You win some, you lose some...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM

By the way, the newest firmwares have upped the file limit, now 4000 per storage type, so 4000 internal, 4000 external (SDHC) so the file limit is now 8000.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baines93 View Post
By the way, the newest firmwares have upped the file limit, now 4000 per storage type, so 4000 internal, 4000 external (SDHC) so the file limit is now 8000.
Got the new firmware loaded and no probs so far - another reason to go D2!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Im staying at 1.55 for now, as i just bought another 2 8gb cards (3 now, one came in the trade) and if this had come out earlier i would have one less card to carry, just an 8gb and 16gb.

I also like my ONLY 1.55 DAB/DMB icon theme, and ONLY flash skin that would work with 1.55.

Matt