android
Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Cool Rock Box'd my e280R a few minutes ago!

I used to post on this forum as an e260 user/owner. I still have that thing, but I don't use it, it went through the washer and the buttons don't work right, and it fritzes out, and listening to anything is impossible. (I wrote about it on another part of this forum sometime in the Fall of 2007.)

I had always planned on Rock-Box-ing it, once I'd heard about the capability of that, but I never had gotten around to doing so.

Sometime in December 2007 I was ok'd to spend money on a new device, and so I went looking for an e280, and no store had one, except a Best Buy had one e280R in the "back" --I left without it, but eventually went back for it, as the only thing out there in stores was the View, which I didn't want. I didn't want the "R" thing either, but I ended up being less choosey to get something closer to what I wanted.

I'd always wanted Audible capability on my e260, so was open to getting an e280v2, but wanted the option of Rock Box, though I'd never used it. In any case, the entire e200 line was vacant in every store I checked, quite a few. So that e280R was what I ended up going back for, my only choice.

I've wanted to convert it into an e280 plain vanilla since then (Dec 2007), but I'm not sure about actually doing that, and have to say I'm not sure how much I'll look at the Sansa bootload anyhow now, with my introduction to Rock Box in actuality. (I don't use Rhapsody, hate seeing the Rhapsody "channel" but do like how the fonts look, etc., so ...)

I followed the easy, clearly written directions on Rock Box. org for the e200R:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...0RInstallation

and it worked flawlessly.

I'm looking forward now to actually getting to submit my music listening to my last.fm profile now, as well.

I did solve my Audible problem too, I got a new phone in January, a Palm Treo 755p, and have fallen in love with Audible Air ... it's way better than any Audible files on any Sansa.
--Sansa M230 used exclusively for Audible.com (but now I use my Palm Treo 755p for Audible.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Note that you must not listen to any songs on your computer before you submit the log file, or else the entire log will become invalid

Sort of annoying, which is why I don't bother with last.fm off my Sansa anymore

I think if you submit them without the times, it could possibly work but that might defeat the purpose

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Thumb Up Good reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0sphere View Post
Note that you must not listen to any songs on your computer before you submit the log file, or else the entire log will become invalid

I think if you submit them without the times, it could possibly work but that might defeat the purpose
Thanks for the reminder! I have been aware of that, and personally welcome the challenge to keep my Sansa "sync'd" with last.fm. Previously every bit of listening on last.fm is from my computer, and that's not the full image I've wanted to project ... so now I have to consider my Sansa in a higher vein than ever before, and that is worth it, to me. For now.

I haven't always used my Sansa as much as I would like to have either, due to feeling disconnected from my last.fm profile while using it, FWIW.
--Sansa M230 used exclusively for Audible.com (but now I use my Palm Treo 755p for Audible.)

Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0sphere View Post

This only true if your client only support protocol < 1.2. Clients that uses 1.2 can submit tracks out of order.

Charles

Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Lightbulb I had problems with firstRockbox install; fixed it.

After my first install of Rockbox playing albums seemed great. Then I tried "insert" functions, and after it played the first added track to a dynamic playlist my Sansa e280R instantly "died" and I had to open it up and reset the battery every time I tried it.

So I took the .rockbox folder off the device and downloaded a newer version, and installed that. I had a different error then, but it was better, since I didn't have to open up my device to restart, at least. I was getting a *Panic* error, basically "Event Line Full" whenever I used "insert" or "queue" in a dynamic playlist. Any one album would play alright alone, but inserting or queue-ing would seem to work, and the playlist would play fine until after it got to the first "insert" or "queue" song, it would play that one song fine, then throw the *Panic* Event Line Full -- error, and I'd have to hold the power button down the 10 to 13 seconds to restart. This was consistent behavior. (I also tried a few different themes, and they didn't improve it, and one build from this forum was even worse than that.)

I looked and looked online for anyone writing about the Panic code I'd gotten, and finally found just one person on a rockbox forum with a c200 that had the same error code, and they had taken everything .rockbox out, including the bootloader, and re-did the entire rockbox install, and all was fine.

So I decided to go further, took all my music off my e280R, then used the Sansa Updater to put the most recent firmware upgrade on it. Let it upgrade, then re-downloaded everything to start from scratch with step 2 of the e200R install (since my firmware was patch/unlocked still)... and then dragged 5 albums between 2 different artists onto the device in MSC (Rhapsody) mode ... and all worked wonderfully.

I've used all the dynamic playlist functions and put them to the test heavily, and everything works now. So I'm really, really happy with Rockbox now, more than before, since I know all that it can do now, and that it all works (I was seriously frustrated for a few days in a row.)

Last edited by Maisy; 05-13-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: My baby hit my keyboard and my this was instantly posted, but not completely written

Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy View Post
I've used all the dynamic playlist functions and put them to the test heavily, and everything works now. So I'm really, really happy with Rockbox now, more than before, since I know all that it can do now, and that it all works (I was seriously frustrated for a few days in a row.)
I am glad that it worked out for you. Enjoy Rockbox.

Charles