android
Old 05-04-2008, 03:12 AM

Default Possible to replace Hard disk?

I have a Western Digital Passport and a Toshiba external USB hard disk both at 160gb. I was looking forward to buy an Archos 605 30gb. Like, is it possible to open up the 605 and use one of these hdd's? I do think its possible, but compatibility might be a restriction. I'm an amateur in this field, I know; but I have done this on my dad's laptop. Like removing out a 30gig hdd and placing a 120gig in its slot. Yeah, it isn't such a big deal, but I was just wondering if it is possible. I've seen an ipod Microdrive once.

Or maybe laptops read their drives differently than PMP's?....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Archos use Hitachi drives, they fit very snugly around the circuit board so there is no way you could replace it with a different drive. The Operating System is also locked into the HDD so even if you could replace it there is no way it would work. it would be cheaper to get a larger sized Archos in the 1st place you can now get up to 160gb HDD in both the 605 & 705 range.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM

I'm not even sure if the 605wifi uses a 2.5" drive, it might be the same as the iPod Classic's 1.8". If you wanted to swap the drive, it works on the old 504, people have done 250GB drives on it

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Wohow, 250GB on 504?? Great.. So I think it isn't possible.

160GB is way too expensive for my tastes. Moreover, I don't think I have that much content to fill it up. Heh.

And the 705 isn't practical. I want a video player that fits snugly into my bag, if not pocket, and one that I can take around with easae. Although people do complain about 605's portability, I think its quite portable.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

they could have really done more to the 404 and 405 to compete with the iPod and Zune, the 605 is good on its own but it misses the mainstream market