android
Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 AM

Off topic: http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam
i was going to say the same thing... that guy is a crook. Avoid ebaum at all costs.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:35 AM

And note that you can still adjust the volume with the dedicated hardware buttons, whether portrait (vertical) or landscape mode, even with the hold switch locking the "d-pad" UI. Or at least, so I hear.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:53 PM

So, what exactly is Microsoft's problem with UMS? Is it about having control over the device, and forcing you to use WMP? Or are the record labels actually telling them they don't want people dragging and dropping music? Or are they just insane? (Or all three?)

U10 stocks are gone everywhere; I just stopped by J&R. They had one 1G U10 going for $90, but just the unit . . . no cables, nothing. (Bizarre, really; what, do they throw out the box and all the accessories when they put the demos up in the store?)

Amazon looks like they have the best deals. If you don't mind the smaller capacity, it could be a good buy. I want a player I can use seamlessly to store files, connect to Linux, and connect to my Mac, not more WMP nightmares. So U10 + firmware mod it is.

I may also have to create some quick Flash games in Flash Lite. It's just sitting in my Flash 8 Pro install begging me to do it. If any of them are playable, I'll share. Requests?

Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkirn
So, what exactly is Microsoft's problem with UMS? Is it about having control over the device, and forcing you to use WMP? Or are the record labels actually telling them they don't want people dragging and dropping music? Or are they just insane? (Or all three?)
Obviously, the first is correct. The second may be right, too, since there is conveniently always a "Buy" or "Purchase" option, regardless of how you got or made the file. And the third is a given. To be fair and give the devils their due, WMP11 and MTP work pretty slickly with the latest players, like my iRiver clix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkirn
U10 stocks are gone everywhere; I just stopped by J&R. They had one 1G U10 going for $90, but just the unit . . . no cables, nothing. (Bizarre, really; what, do they throw out the box and all the accessories when they put the demos up in the store?)

Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM

Okay, fair enough. I've tried the subscription service with a much older player (H320), though I keeping seeing stuff going wrong even locally on my PC with Napster and Rhapsody. It seems to require constant software updates, reinstalls, and database rebuilds just to get DRM10 to work right (something even those companies have complained about). Maybe DRM11 will be better . . .

Assuming it *does* work, then it comes down to user choice. I'm ready to go back to dragging and dropping my own files and not worrying about DRM (meaning more ripped CDs, thank you), because I find the automation in general slows me down. Now I can go back to the workflow of my first media player, the original Rio.

I don't trust the manufacturers, though, to continue to provide us with UMS devices unless we start making a racket and demanding them. I thought it was funny that Boing Boing made a big deal about iRiver's firmware update to switch back to UMS, when it seems that that was primarily for the Asian market. Not that I don't enjoy shopping for electronics in Akhibara and Seoul, but I'd rather it not be my only alternative!

I certainly value this site as a way of encouraging buyer independence, because if everyone chooses iPod, the Windows device makers will listen to Microsoft rather than their customers. And, regardless of how good-intentioned MS is, that's never a good thing with any company.