android
Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Moving from itunes to a new music player

For years I have been loyal to Apple iTunes, even before I had an iPod. The interface was simple and a pleasure to use, and coverflow was just the aesthetic cherry on the top.

Well I've sold my iPods now and I need a new music player to use with the 4GB clip. I would like something similar to iTunes in interface (I've tried WMP but it kind of feels disorganized to me). I need this new mediaplayer to be able to do these things (and how to do them ):
  • I have a top 30 most played in iTunes. How would I export this library from iTunes to another player and maintain the play count? The player also needs to be able to keep a playcount (shouldn't all players have this?)
  • Something which shows album art (not totally necessary but every single song I have has album art and it has taken me a while).
  • This is what I plan to do with the 4 GB of space. I sync over my Top 30 Most Played playlist, and then copy random songs from my collection over to the Clip in another playlist. How would I do this?
  • Even if I have 2 playlists on my Clip, it is still possible to play all tracks at once right (kind of like the Play All function in the iPod).
I'm currently looking at purchasing MediaMonkey Gold since it has an auto file monitor which looks appealing to me. Anything else I should be considering? Of course if it's free I'm more than willing, but not worried about paying a bit of premium for a better product

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 PM

I believe you made the correct choice in choosing MediaMonkey Gold. I'm not very experienced in Gold, however, I do believe it has the features you're looking for. It's fairly straight forward, has the play counts, can make playlists that are compatible with the clip.

However, I could be wrong, but I don't think MediaMonkey supports Album Art. It could, but I don't use it so I'm not knowledgeable in that section. As for the premium deal, you *could* get it free of charge.

Have you considered WinAmp though? I believe that has the features you're looking for as well. Just a possible other canidate.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Well I have Winamp Classic to use when my computer feels down (it's really tight on resources), but I think I'll try out the free version of Winamp and see how it is.

How is Songbird? From the makers of Mozilla it seems worthwhile.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonLives View Post
However, I could be wrong, but I don't think MediaMonkey supports Album Art. It could, but I don't use it so I'm not knowledgeable in that section. As for the premium deal, you *could* get it free of charge......
BTW, MM does support AA, both embeded and in folder.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM

Yep I'm trying out the free MediaMonkey and it looks great so far (I'm now even considering not buying Gold as it really feels like it's enough). How does it compare to Songbird?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:07 PM

I think Winamp offers the best combination of ease of use and functionality. I use it for all playback and portable syncing. Winamp is great as is, but it's real strength is it's massive skin/plugin community.

MediaMonkey is very powerful and is extremely useful for managing your library. The scripting capability is especially cool. I just don't really like the UI as a player. Of course that's just personal preference. I'm sure others have the exact opposite opinion.

So I use both, but for different reasons.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
I think Winamp offers the best combination of ease of use and functionality. I use it for all playback and portable syncing. Winamp is great as is, but it's real strength is it's massive skin/plugin community.

MediaMonkey is very powerful and is extremely useful for managing your library. The scripting capability is especially cool. I just don't really like the UI as a player. Of course that's just personal preference. I'm sure others have the exact opposite opinion.

So I use both, but for different reasons.
Thanks. I've downloaded the free winamp and will try it later (currently having exams). Can you make a list of your good plugins?