android
Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 AM

Default .m4a files encoded by iTunes

I have 2.08 firmware (EU) and have transfered some M4a files originally encoded by iTunes to my new P2. They are not recognized by my P2 though?? I thought Firmware 2.08 supported AAC? Or am I getting confused again?!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Samsung Moderator

They're playable, but the tags are not recognized and if you're using MTP mode (transfer from WMP or SMS) it will give you a hard time about it. My advice is to transfer the files by drag and drop. You will have to go to the "Music Browser" at the bottom of the Music menu, below artist and album, etc. and select the folder manually. This should be fixed. Hopefully.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM

I was dragging and dropping directly to the music folder via Windows - so should that have worked then?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Samsung Moderator

If you don't have the latest WMP it may not work. With the latest WMP it will tell you that they are unsupported. This is not true, just say yes to put them on anyway. You will still have to go to the music browser and select the folder manually to play it. But they do play!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 AM

OK, I'm being stupid again......
I have been just dragging and dropping them into the music folder of my P2. I'm not using SMS or WMP at all. So, should it work that way or not? Surely I don't need to use WMP as wouldn't WMP just be doing the same thing?

After I drag and drop them into the music folder I get a warning message saying that they may not be compatible but when I use the P2 they don't even show

Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

I know. They will NOT show up listed by artist or album because the tags are not being read properly. Your method for transferring the files is correct. To play them on your P2, you need to go to the "Music Browser" option in the Music menu.

See? Once in here you will be able to select the files you put on manually. If you put them on in a folder, just navigate to that folder and select your .m4a files to play. Simple but a little tedious workaround. Hopefully they will fix the tagging issue in a different firmware.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Ah I see! Thanks a lot sassafras.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I know. They will NOT show up listed by artist or album because the tags are not being read properly. Your method for transferring the files is correct. To play them on your P2, you need to go to the "Music Browser" option in the Music menu.
As an addendum, they should also show up as Unknown in all the other fields (e.g., browsing by Artist or Album). The P2 treats them the same as an MP3 with no ID3 tag.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:

See? Once in here you will be able to select the files you put on manually. If you put them on in a folder, just navigate to that folder and select your .m4a files to play. Simple but a little tedious workaround. Hopefully they will fix the tagging issue in a different firmware.
Hehehe.. your wallpapers like the ones i have on my Prada phone :P

Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Samsung Moderator

That's a custom wallpaper I made of Eva Green. She's puuurdy

Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM

When i get my Samsung P2, i'll prob. port over my mobile wallpapers and stick 'em up here :P
well, the ones that are safe for work that is...

Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Nice reflection !

Quote:

Nice Reflection Sassafras!!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM

M4A and AAC are different audio formats, P2 does not support M4A

Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Samsung Moderator

You're a little wrong.

m4a is not an audio format, it's a container for audio. AAC is the audio format. The .m4a files that itunes uses are playable on the P2 (if they're DRM Free), but they're not .m4a files. They're songs that are encoded in the AAC format with the filename of .m4a because that's the container. It's confusing, but for all intents, they're the same thing... sort of.