android
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 AM

Default Disable startup/shutdown system sounds?

I'm perfectly content with my P2, however, the (terribly loud!) sound effects that play when starting up and shutting down the P2 are really starting to annoy me, and would like to know if I could disable them. I haven't been able to find any information on this here or elsewhere; could anyone help me out?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Nothing can be done, yet...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 AM

"terribly loud"? perhaps turning the volume down would help? :P

Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

Don't plug in your earphones until it's started up. Unplug them before shutting down.

You can device which end. Unplug them from your P2 or your ears, it won't matter.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM

I find the shutdown sound to be a pain in the ass. I mean honestly, why the hell do I need to hear that every time I shut it off. Yeah I know I can unplug first but that is not the point.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
Don't plug in your earphones until it's started up. Unplug them before shutting down.

You can device which end. Unplug them from your P2 or your ears, it won't matter.
Ditto

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM

yah this was actually the first setting i tried to turn off when i got my p2. completely surprised that it couldn't even do this.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM

just take your headphones out before you turn em off

Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

If you go into settings, system, then start mode, you can change the start state to Last State and you'll only hear the sound on shutting down if you shut down in a function.

4D

Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM

think about it this way... if u dont look at your screen while shutting down, how else would it "notify" you that it is shutting down?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuSionS View Post
think about it this way... if u dont look at your screen while shutting down, how else would it "notify" you that it is shutting down?
You dont think the fact that you just pushed the power button would clue you in

I also think its a good idea to be able to disable the startup shutdown sound, seems pointless to me... maybe just a sound when/if the battery dies.

Preference I guess

Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedicus View Post
You dont think the fact that you just pushed the power button would clue you in

I also think its a good idea to be able to disable the startup shutdown sound, seems pointless to me... maybe just a sound when/if the battery dies.

Preference I guess
u do know that there is a "delay" or a "hold" taht you have to achieve to turn it off... so if you do not hold the poewr button long enough, it wont turn off.

so if its in your pocket... and you just fumble around to turn it off... the sound will "tell you" its turning off.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

Not that it matters unless you've got the volume really turned up, but when you plug in your earphones the amp is momentarily shorted to ground. This isn't a big deal, but doing it when the music is already playing, and playing loud, after a time it could damage your device irreparably. Just for reference, you should always plug and unplug your phones when no electrical current is running through the jack, ie when the device is off or the music is down.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

I normally unplug my ears first. More dangerous to your ears to suddenly discover your P2's sound output was too loud. You make a perfectly good theoretical point, Sass, but in my 50 years I've never ruined a device by plugging the headphones in while it was playing. yet I've often unplugged or plugged the headphones in while they were playing. That includes radios, walkmans, boom boxes, home stereos, and a slew of MP3 players. If they aren't designed to survive the possibility that a user will plug in or unplug headphones when the music is playing then the whole industry is blind.

Of course now we have thousands of electronics startups, and companies that seemed to forget that lead was bad for us making the devices, it may indeed be more likely that such protection does not exist in the cheap modern devices you see with "made in China" on the box. Whoops! That's all of them! Nevermind

Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM

that's weird i only ever hear the shutdown sound, i don't have a startup animation or sound?????

Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Read the FAQ - You will find out why